Bose cinemate gs II vs. 1 SR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-25-2012, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Having to look for a new TV recently has brough me to the audio section once in a while, which i had neglected in the past thinking there wasnt anything worth getting that would suit my apartment. That was until i stumbled upon sound bars, they had snuck past me somehow.

So after some perusing through the soundbar section i went to bestbuy to check some out. Wasnt very impressed with the middle of the road sound bars like the sony 150 or the polk 6000 so i began listening to the bose demos. I was very impressed with the sound from the cinemate gs 2 and went to see the 1 sr and B&W panorama aftarwards. The panorama was only connected to a cable feed and has something on TNT playing, which made it hard to compare because it just seemed like it wasnt really trying the same way the bose were being demoed. The 1sr sounded fantastic. I even had the feeling there was sound behind me, i should mention that all of these systems were in the same kind of open environtment aside from the B&W in the magnolia center. As great as the 1SR sounded to me it wasnt that clearly the winner over the gs 2. They both sounded loud, clear and crisp however the 1sr did provide a bit more of a surround type of effect, which is the goal im trying to achieve with a sound bar.

It may have been discussed in a thread and i missed it but i havent seen a comparison of these two systems made, probably because of the dramatic price difference(nearly double the price for the 1 SR) never the less im hoping for someone that has taken these two home an had an opportunity to choose one over the other. What was the reason you chose your system? Perhaps price or a significant bump in performance was the deciding factor. I'm leaning towards the gs2 as i couldnt really distinguish either as a clear winner, but perhaps once i had them setup at home things would change. Thanks for any of your help or input in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatg View Post

Having to look for a new TV recently has brough me to the audio section once in a while, which i had neglected in the past thinking there wasnt anything worth getting that would suit my apartment. That was until i stumbled upon sound bars, they had snuck past me somehow.

So after some perusing through the soundbar section i went to bestbuy to check some out. Wasnt very impressed with the middle of the road sound bars like the sony 150 or the polk 6000 so i began listening to the bose demos. I was very impressed with the sound from the cinemate gs 2 and went to see the 1 sr and B&W panorama aftarwards. The panorama was only connected to a cable feed and has something on TNT playing, which made it hard to compare because it just seemed like it wasnt really trying the same way the bose were being demoed. The 1sr sounded fantastic. I even had the feeling there was sound behind me, i should mention that all of these systems were in the same kind of open environtment aside from the B&W in the magnolia center. As great as the 1SR sounded to me it wasnt that clearly the winner over the gs 2. They both sounded loud, clear and crisp however the 1sr did provide a bit more of a surround type of effect, which is the goal im trying to achieve with a sound bar.

It may have been discussed in a thread and i missed it but i havent seen a comparison of these two systems made, probably because of the dramatic price difference(nearly double the price for the 1 SR) never the less im hoping for someone that has taken these two home an had an opportunity to choose one over the other. What was the reason you chose your system? Perhaps price or a significant bump in performance was the deciding factor. I'm leaning towards the gs2 as i couldnt really distinguish either as a clear winner, but perhaps once i had them setup at home things would change. Thanks for any of your help or input in advance.

The Bose Soundbars are really good. If you have the walls, I think MUCH better than the GS2. While the gs2 opens things up a bit as far as a sound field, the SR1 with walls can give you a real sense of surround sound, and for that 'I' think it is worth the more expensive price.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have owned both the Bose GS 2 and the Bose 1SR,,, to my ears and personal experience the Bose 1SR wins hands down.

While the surround effect of the Bose Cinemate GS 2 is good the 1SR surround effect is jaw dropping.

Im a very happy owner of the 1SR !!!!!

On a side note,,,, the "soon to be released any day now" Harmon Kardon SB30 soundbar looks very interesting,,,, Im tempted to get it and compare it against my Bose bar,,,,,, on paper the HK bar looks like it "might" be one of the top soundbars to come out, and at the $800.00 price its way cheaper than the Bose or the Panorama.

Cheers
Davyo
Old 02-27-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

On a side note,,,, the "soon to be released any day now" Harmon Kardon SB30 soundbar looks very interesting,,,, Im tempted to get it and compare it against my Bose bar,,,,,, on paper the HK bar looks like it "might" be one of the top soundbars to come out, and at the $800.00 price its way cheaper than the Bose or the Panorama.

Cheers
Davyo

Oh, my poor boy.... I see a stint in Betty Ford's Soundbar Ward for you in the near future. Please, get help. And soon.

Sorry, you know I can't resist. I would love to see your "soundbar graveyard" room.... could you post some pics? Please.....?
Old 02-27-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgore777 View Post

Oh, my poor boy.... I see a stint in Betty Ford's Soundbar Ward for you in the near future. Please, get help. And soon.

Sorry, you know I can't resist. I would love to see your "soundbar graveyard" room.... could you post some pics? Please.....?

Funny,,,, but true,,,, I need a 12 step program for soundbars,,,, and being a member of this damn AVS forum dont help much either

The soundbar graveyard is pretty empty now,, sold the following bars,, all the Vizio's, the old YSP-800 I had, the Sony CT100 and CT150,,,, the only one's I kept and still have are the JVC BA1 and the Sony CT350,,, two of my favs.

Cheers
Davyo
Old 03-11-2012, 03:56 PM
krv

I've been thru many soundbars and kept none.
I was at BB yesterday by myself in the audio section and pressed the demo button on the 1SR......Wow, the words that came to mind were effortless, clarity and powerfull. i see why your smitten! If only it wasn't $1,500.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krv View Post

I was at BB yesterday by myself in the audio section and pressed the demo button on the 1SR......Wow, the words that came to mind were effortless, clarity and powerfull. i see why your smitten! If only it wasn't $1,500.

Yea,,, $1500.00 is the only bad part about the 1SR,,,,, aside from the price tag I am very happy with my Bose 1SR.

Cheers
Davyo
Old 03-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you can find a soundbar the performs to the level of the 1SR and less money I'd say buy it but you won't. The Yamaha bars are higher priced, the B&W is higher priced and the new Definitive soundbar will come out at $2k. I'm not sure where H&K will be priced at. So looking at the best competitors I'd say the 1SR is priced very well.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:40 PM
krv

Point taken and your absolutely correct.
Had I not just been downsized to the status of the unemployed, I'd have that 1SR right under my 60" Pany!
Old 03-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Point taken and your absolutely correct.
Had I not just been downsized to the status of the unemployed, I'd have that 1SR right under my 60" Pany!

I'm sorry to hear that, I hope your luck changes soon.