Soundbar w/ wireless Sub for Large Room ~1500 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-29-2012, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Room: open plan 25x15 with 12' ceiling
TV/Soundbar mounted to wall above mantel, about 7' up the wall (wall = 15' long)
1 side wall glass (25')
1 side wall 75% open to kitchen/hallway/stairs (25')
1 rear wall 50% open to kitchen/dining room (15')

Requirements:
~$1500
Wireless Sub
No separate receiver
Surround quality not top priority
Good dialog/voice volume and separation

TV will be mounted on articulating arm above mantle with a range of motion, and I plan to mount the soundbar directly to the TV/Wall mount so the bar moves with the TV. That means the soundbar could be tilted directly _at_ the viewer with lots of strange angles.

This setup is _not_ the primary home theater in the house. This is the living room on the main floor (sports, casual viewing with family), so I don't need something perfect.. I just need something better than the speakers on my Panasonic 55" Plasma. I'll have an actual viewing room on the bottom floor, with a real HT setup, so don't worry about the poor configuration in this room.

My concern is that I've read some units in non-ideal rooms like this make the dialog muddy or low volume. I don't care that much about perfectly separated or nuanced rear/surround channels. I really care most filling the room with decent sound and hearing dialog without needing to blast the volume.

I've read reviews of the YSP 2200 (non wireless sub) so thats out. Polk IHT6000 seems decent.. nice and cheap. The Bose SR1 seems okay and in my budget. I'm wondering if any of these are particularly better than the other for my application and if I should consider anything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-29-2012, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by briancl View Post

Room: open plan 25x15 with 12' ceiling
TV/Soundbar mounted to wall above mantel, about 7' up the wall (wall = 15' long)
1 side wall glass (25')
1 side wall 75% open to kitchen/hallway/stairs (25')
1 rear wall 50% open to kitchen/dining room (15')

Requirements:
~$1500
Wireless Sub
No separate receiver
Surround quality not top priority
Good dialog/voice volume and separation

TV will be mounted on articulating arm above mantle with a range of motion, and I plan to mount the soundbar directly to the TV/Wall mount so the bar moves with the TV. That means the soundbar could be tilted directly _at_ the viewer with lots of strange angles.

This setup is _not_ the primary home theater in the house. This is the living room on the main floor (sports, casual viewing with family), so I don't need something perfect.. I just need something better than the speakers on my Panasonic 55" Plasma. I'll have an actual viewing room on the bottom floor, with a real HT setup, so don't worry about the poor configuration in this room.

My concern is that I've read some units in non-ideal rooms like this make the dialog muddy or low volume. I don't care that much about perfectly separated or nuanced rear/surround channels. I really care most filling the room with decent sound and hearing dialog without needing to blast the volume.

I've read reviews of the YSP 2200 (non wireless sub) so thats out. Polk IHT6000 seems decent.. nice and cheap. The Bose SR1 seems okay and in my budget. I'm wondering if any of these are particularly better than the other for my application and if I should consider anything else.

Bose sr 1 fits your bill quite well
post #3 of 5 Old 02-29-2012, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I have listened to the 1SR in a 20 x 20 conference room with 9' ceilings and it performed very well. The 1SR can play very loud with out distortion. Try it, you'll like it.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-01-2012, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I have not tried the Polk or the Bose so I can't give you firsthand experience but I would buy the Polk no question if those are the two you are looking at. I have never seen a Bose product that is worth the exorbitant price you pay. Ideally you should try them both to then make your own decision on what sounds best but I have a hunch that the Polk will be just as good if not better than the Bose for significantly less money.

Alternatively you might consider the Harmon Kardon SB30. It is a new model which I believe is due to come out sometime this March. It's supposed to be very good.

http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Pr...px?PID=SB%2030

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #5 of 5 Old 03-01-2012, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

I have not tried the Polk or the Bose so I can't give you firsthand experience but I would buy the Polk no question if those are the two you are looking at. I have never seen a Bose product that is worth the exorbitant price you pay. Ideally you should try them both to then make your own decision on what sounds best but I have a hunch that the Polk will be just as good if not better than the Bose for significantly less money.

Alternatively you might consider the Harmon Kardon SB30. It is a new model which I believe is due to come out sometime this March. It's supposed to be very good.

http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Pr...px?PID=SB%2030

As someone that has own's the Bose 1SR and owned the Polk 6000 I would have to say the Bose blows the Polk away,,,,, the Bose is very much worth the extra cost over the Polk,,,,,, I wish it were not true, but it is,,,, I sure didnt like spending the extra money the Bose cost me, but it was well worth it.

As far as the HK SB30,,,, yea,,, that one is of great interest,,,, it "could" be the Bose killer,,,, I plan on getting the SB30 and doing a side by side comparison with my Bose.

Cheers
Davyo
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page