Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 730 Old 04-11-2013, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsmylie View Post

Bought a Harmony One remote, and now everything works perfectly with just one remote without having to fiddle with the ARC or anything. Works absolutely perfectly with the E450.
By Harmony "one" are you referring to a Harmony all-in-one remote like the 300 or 600 OR does it have to be the Harmony One Advance remote?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 730 Old 04-12-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guv66 View Post

By Harmony "one" are you referring to a Harmony all-in-one remote like the 300 or 600 OR does it have to be the Harmony One Advance remote?
I know this isn't addressed to me but, just for your info, I'm using the Logitech Harmony 650 remote. I paid around $60.00 bucks for it at HH Gregg. It controls everything flawlessly. Love it!
post #633 of 730 Old 04-12-2013, 08:11 PM

Thanks EF, that puts me on the right track.
I actually found a Harmony 300 remanufactured remote for around $20.
I will look for the 650 on sale somewhere unless someone confirms the 300 will indeed work also.
post #634 of 730 Old 04-13-2013, 08:23 AM

Liked: 33
I would get at least the 650.. Really, any of them that have "activities" would be best.. The 650 is nice if you have fewer devices (I think it does up to 5 or 6).. and is cheaper. The 700 is basically a 650 with a charging cradle. The "one" has a cradle and does up to like 15 devices. And the 900 is like a one with RF control.. and your 4 red,green,rellow,blue buttons that some manufacturers use in menus and settings.. The "touch" is an all new design....I personally don't like it.

I think all they currently make is the 650 and the touch as Logitech is trying to sell the Harmony line. If you can get a 700, that cradle is nice (have had a few issues with battery in the 650). If you cant find a 700, the 650 should do. Otherwise if you need more devices, get a one...and if you need RF get a 900.
Guv66 likes this.

post #635 of 730 Old 04-14-2013, 08:48 AM

Re: Harmony remote(s)
I've been using a 659 that I purchased in 2006.
I use NiMH batteries that last about a month before recharging.
I recently upgraded my AV system and the Harmony was a godsend in making it easy for my wife to " fix" problems using the HELP button feature.

The only hitch in my System is I am unable to add my Soundbar HW-E350 to my cable remote even though my Harmony did add the Soundbar!

P. S. You can read all the gory details of how I set up my System in my summary in Post # 533 on Page 18 of this Forum.
post #636 of 730 Old 04-18-2013, 10:30 AM

I could use some help/advice concerning my Samsung soundbar installation. I've followed the advice posted on this forum regarding the optimal connection methods, but I'm still having issues. Here is my equipment and connections:

Samsung HW-EF45 Soundbar:
Samsung LN55C650 (no AVR)
Samsung BluRay: HDMI to Soundbar in -- HDMI out to TV input 2
Uverse Cable Box: HDMI to TV input 1 & Optical cable from Box to Soundbar

I've turned Anynet Off (however, when its on, the sound bar is not on my device list)
I'm using my Uverse remote, which operates cable box, TV and Blu-ray, but not programmed for Soundbar (cant figure out how to do that)

In this configuration, the Soundbar does not turn-on with TV. If i turn on Soundbar using supplied remote, it does not shut down after 20 minutes as stated in manual. Once the system is operating, the sound is choppy, as if there is a break in the signal. HDMI cables were tested on other devices, and they are not the culprit.

Help! Is there a flaw in my wiring configuration? Did I fail to activate or deactivate any functions on Soundbar or TV? I'm in need of serious advice. I will undoubtedly purchase a Harmony remote.

Thanks in advance!!
post #637 of 730 Old 04-18-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS11 View Post

In this configuration, the Soundbar does not turn-on with TV. If i turn on Soundbar using supplied remote, it does not shut down after 20 minutes as stated in manual. Once the system is operating, the sound is choppy, as if there is a break in the signal. HDMI cables were tested on other devices, and they are not the culprit.

I'm guessing, but I think the on/off feature of using optical would only work if the connection is between TV and soundbar. I don't have any idea on the choppy sound though. Is that only happening with the cable box or do you hear it when using the BDP also? Keep trying different possible connections/cables to see if you can isolate the source of the issue.

Maybe someone that has U-verse will have advice on the remote.

Basically, I haven't been much help here. biggrin.gif
post #638 of 730 Old 04-18-2013, 11:10 AM

Thank you! I will double check the sound quality from the blu-ray once again and get back to you. I will also try connecting the optical from TV to Soundbar, but i think this will only allow the soundbar remote to operate volume. Regardless, the depth of discussion in this forum concerning Samsung Soundbars makes it clear that they are not as easy to connect and enjoy as advertised.
post #639 of 730 Old 04-18-2013, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
The way that you have it connected is exactly the way that I would connect it if I didn't use an HDMI switch. I also have AnyNet+ on. It must be a glitch but my soundbar isn't listed on the device list, either. It works, though. I control the soundbar with my cable/TV remote. Works like a charm except I need to use the soundbar remote to turn it on. If you could control your TV volume with the Uverse remote prior to purchasing the soundbar, activating AnyNet+ on both the TV and soundbar should allow you to use your Uverse remote to control the volume on the soundbar. It should also allow you to turn the soundbar off.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #640 of 730 Old 04-18-2013, 11:38 AM

Thanks for the response and suggestions. Were you able to program your Cable remote to turn the soundbar off? Or, does it turn off when you shut down the TV? What do you think will happen if I connect the TV to the soundbar using an optical cable, as opposed to using an optical cable between the cable box and soundbar?
post #641 of 730 Old 04-18-2013, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the response and suggestions. Were you able to program your Cable remote to turn the soundbar off? Or, does it turn off when you shut down the TV? What do you think will happen if I connect the TV to the soundbar using an optical cable, as opposed to using an optical cable between the cable box and soundbar?

I don't know about the optical connection but, in my setup, I use my cable remote to control the volume on the soundbar and turn the TV and soundbar off. My remote shuts off the TV and soundbar simultaneously. I would think that you would have to use the soundbar remote to turn it on and off with an optical connection but I'm not certain.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #642 of 730 Old 04-18-2013, 01:35 PM

I plan to post an update tomorrow after I try and resolve the issue. thanks again.
post #643 of 730 Old 04-19-2013, 12:42 AM

Hi all, I'm new and I found this forum looking for the common issue of the auto power-on with TV of the HW-E450 (I'm from Italy, and I've tryed to contact Samsumg customer care...but...bah nevermind!).
My actual configuration is Samsung Smart TV UE46ES7000 + HW-E450 connected trough HDMI. Obvioulsly, I'm able to control the volume and power-off, but not power-on.
Going trough this topic, my understanding is that I can solve the issue by using an Harmony remote, is it correct? If yes, which model should I buy? Will I be able to use also all the original samsung Tv remote functions (i.e.: 3D, smart hub etc..)?
Furthermore, if I disable the auto power-off leaving the soundbar always on, do you know the average power consumption in stand by?

Thanks in advance!
post #644 of 730 Old 04-19-2013, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maerospace View Post

Hi all, I'm new and I found this forum looking for the common issue of the auto power-on with TV of the HW-E450 (I'm from Italy, and I've tryed to contact Samsumg customer care...but...bah nevermind!).
My actual configuration is Samsung Smart TV UE46ES7000 + HW-E450 connected trough HDMI. Obvioulsly, I'm able to control the volume and power-off, but not power-on.
Going trough this topic, my understanding is that I can solve the issue by using an Harmony remote, is it correct? If yes, which model should I buy? Will I be able to use also all the original samsung Tv remote functions (i.e.: 3D, smart hub etc..)?
Furthermore, if I disable the auto power-off leaving the soundbar always on, do you know the average power consumption in stand by?

Thanks in advance!

the tv will turn the bar on for you if you use the optical audio cable, then set the auto power to on. shouldnt need a harmony to do that.
post #645 of 730 Old 04-19-2013, 05:56 AM

If you use the optical audio cable you will not be able to modify volume with TV remote and I want to use just one remote for both devices..
post #646 of 730 Old 04-19-2013, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
I havent posted here since July 2012: My connection is Optical out from my UN60es8000 to the soundbar. ...Performance has been flawless. My Harmony ONE remote has been an absolute perfect mate for both units as well as driving all other sources. (Bluray player, FIOS dvr, HDdvd player and a VCR smile.gif )

Regarding sound quality, What hit me recently was...I was watching "To kill a mockingbird" on bluray from NetFlix....while watching I was hearing crickets behind me and to the left in a very defined manner. The window was open so I thought it was in my yard...i hit pause and yes...this "cheap" little soundbar actually projected these sounds perfectly. I was very pleasantly surprised by that down rez'd ability of this soundbar. It reinforced my desire to streamline the electronics last summer and move the avr, sub and 5 speakers down to the gameroom with the old Sony rpLCD.

What an awesome freebie this was with the tv. Thanks Samsung.

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

post #647 of 730 Old 04-19-2013, 06:22 AM

Bladerunner1959 thanks for the reply.
So is the Harmony remote able to manage all the smart TV functions?
post #648 of 730 Old 04-19-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:

I have mine set up just like Bladerunner1959. My Harmony 650 controls all functions perfectly. The sound is excellent.
post #649 of 730 Old 04-19-2013, 11:36 PM

Good, I'll try the remote then!

Thanks
post #650 of 730 Old 05-04-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
Quote:

Hey boss, my HarmonyOne has done all I asked except that I do recommend a bluetooth keyboard for extensive internet IF you do that from your tv. For all streaming services that i use; Vudu, Pandora and Netflix, my buttons are programmed and provide full functionality.

My Harmony is named "Hal-9000" at my house. Yea, i'm a dork!

Enjoy.

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

post #651 of 730 Old 05-04-2013, 10:12 PM

I have the exact same problem with my soundbar. And yes, I obviously tried to duplicate the problem through the regular TV speaker. The TV speaker never skips when streaming. Only the sound bar.

Sound bar works fine when watching regular tv from a terrestrial signal
Sound bar Works fine when watching a DVD

Streaming audio works fine when listening through the TV audio

Streaming audio skips when it goes through the Soundbar.
post #652 of 730 Old 05-05-2013, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Timmerman View Post

I have the exact same problem with my soundbar. And yes, I obviously tried to duplicate the problem through the regular TV speaker. The TV speaker never skips when streaming. Only the sound bar.

Sound bar works fine when watching regular tv from a terrestrial signal
Sound bar Works fine when watching a DVD

Streaming audio works fine when listening through the TV audio

Streaming audio skips when it goes through the Soundbar.

You need to be a lot more specific. What exactly do you have hooked up and how? What model TV do you have?

post #653 of 730 Old 05-05-2013, 09:25 PM

Bought my Samsung UN46ES7100 today along with HW-E450 -- everything still in box but both ARC compatible I believe. Just bought a house, setting up TV over fireplace so we need to hide the wires. Building custom mantel which I thought was the hard part until this soundbar crap has my head spinning. So before I bury the wires in the wall, I want to make sure I understand this so I can run the wires correctly.

Bought at HH Greg. Sales guy at HH Greg said when hooking a HDMI cord into soundbar (i.e. for the cable box), and that HDMI goes out of soundbar into the TV, only that input (i.e. cable) will work with the soundbar. In this example, if I have the cable going through the soundbar, and another device (i.e. PS3) that hooks directly into TV, the soundbar wouldn't work with ps3. He said only way to have multiple devices come through soundbar is using optical -- in which case you need to use multiple remotes. From what I've read in this thread, is this not true? If I have multiple HDMI devices, i.e. cable box, ps3, apple tv -- do I pick one to run through the soundbar -- or do I plug all 3 into TV and only run and HDMI out from the soundbar into the arc spot?

Also, for those that have used the Bluetooth to play music, is it possible to stream music AND have the TV on? Sales guy said if cable is plugged into sound bar with HDMI and is using ARC, if I switch the source to Bluetooth the screen will be black. Basically I want to know if we have ppl over could I put a game on the TV with no audio and have ability to play music through soundbar.

Lastly, is there a benefit to hook up optical AND ARC? Which would it default too?

Appreciate the help in advance!
post #654 of 730 Old 05-06-2013, 05:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parksjae View Post

Bought my Samsung UN46ES7100 today along with HW-E450 -- everything still in box but both ARC compatible I believe. Just bought a house, setting up TV over fireplace so we need to hide the wires. Building custom mantel which I thought was the hard part until this soundbar crap has my head spinning. So before I bury the wires in the wall, I want to make sure I understand this so I can run the wires correctly.

Bought at HH Greg. Sales guy at HH Greg said when hooking a HDMI cord into soundbar (i.e. for the cable box), and that HDMI goes out of soundbar into the TV, only that input (i.e. cable) will work with the soundbar. In this example, if I have the cable going through the soundbar, and another device (i.e. PS3) that hooks directly into TV, the soundbar wouldn't work with ps3. He said only way to have multiple devices come through soundbar is using optical -- in which case you need to use multiple remotes. From what I've read in this thread, is this not true? If I have multiple HDMI devices, i.e. cable box, ps3, apple tv -- do I pick one to run through the soundbar -- or do I plug all 3 into TV and only run and HDMI out from the soundbar into the arc spot?

Also, for those that have used the Bluetooth to play music, is it possible to stream music AND have the TV on? Sales guy said if cable is plugged into sound bar with HDMI and is using ARC, if I switch the source to Bluetooth the screen will be black. Basically I want to know if we have ppl over could I put a game on the TV with no audio and have ability to play music through soundbar.

Lastly, is there a benefit to hook up optical AND ARC? Which would it default too?

Let me try to help you here. Keep in mind that I have a TV that doesn't have ARC so I won't be able to comment on that aspect with 100% certainty. The first thing that I would recommend is that you should test everything prior to burying the wires. I have all of my sources connected to a switch and then connected directly into the soundbar. With your setup, I would connect all sources into the TV and then use ARC to connect the TV to the soundbar. You should find no difference between using ARC to connect the TV to the soundbar or optical connecting the TV to the soundbar. Using ARC should allow you to use your TV remote to control the soundbar once you have turned it on with the soundbar remote. This is a known glitch of this soundbar. Just turn AnyNet+ on both the TV and soundbar.

I am not certain what will happen regarding using bluetooth. I can tell you that, in my setup, using bluetooth causes the screen to go black. That might not be the case for you but I have no way to test it. In theory, it could work because you are using the TV as the switch instead of passing everything through the soundbar first.

There is no benefit to using ARC and optical.

post #655 of 730 Old 05-06-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parksjae View Post

I have a Samsung E350 Sound Bar and a Toshiba TV that does not support ARC. With this setup I realized I can only connect one HDMI device to the Sound Bar.

To solve my problem I found that there are HDMI switches that are used to select an HDMI connection to the Sound Bar from 2 or more HDMI devices. These inexpensive switches range from mechanical push-button to IR remote control.

And, because I wanted the better HDMI digital audio from my DVD player, I bought a KINVIO 301BN HDMI Switch. Now I can feed either my Cable box or my DVD player to the Sound Bar. The Switch automatically senses and connects to the active HDMI signal. If more than one HDMI signal is present, push buttons on the Switch and on the IR remote are used to manually select the desired HDMI signal.

FYI - More details about my setup can be found in Post #533 in this E450 thread.

Check out these switches on KINVIO's site and/or Amazon..
post #656 of 730 Old 05-08-2013, 10:08 PM

Hi all:
this is an update to a previous post, with a question. my present config:
samsung blu via hdmi to soundbar
soundbar via hdmi to samsung ln55c650
cable box to tv via hdmi
optical out from tv to soundbar
harmony 650 remote works great

Q: if i add Apple TV so i can stream netflix etc. Would you recommend a different config, or simply hdmi from Apple tv to TV, and allow optical to carry audio to soundbar?
Will the optical accomplish that or should i try somethind different. btw: my bluray can stream netflix but the bandwidth is sooooo resrticted by uverse.

thanks!!!
post #657 of 730 Old 05-09-2013, 04:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi all:
this is an update to a previous post, with a question. my present config:
samsung blu via hdmi to soundbar
soundbar via hdmi to samsung ln55c650
cable box to tv via hdmi
optical out from tv to soundbar
harmony 650 remote works great

Q: if i add Apple TV so i can stream netflix etc. Would you recommend a different config, or simply hdmi from Apple tv to TV, and allow optical to carry audio to soundbar?
Will the optical accomplish that or should i try somethind different. btw: my bluray can stream netflix but the bandwidth is sooooo resrticted by uverse.

thanks!!!

With your old setup, I would have recommended connecting the cable box to the soundbar via optical rather than the TV to the soundbar. That said, if you are happy with the sound that you are currently getting, the easiest thing to do is connect the Apple TV as you described. I would try that and then look at other options only if you aren't happy with the sound you are getting.

post #658 of 730 Old 05-09-2013, 05:06 AM

I was mistaken. the cable box is connected to the SB. how would you recommend connecting apple Doctego? how will audio reach the sb? thank you for your advice.
post #659 of 730 Old 05-13-2013, 07:15 PM

Liked: 20
Just FYI; I had all sorts of issues with my HW-E450 last year. I tried three HDMI cables and an optical, and still the sound would cut out intermittently when streaming, it would turn off with the TV but not on, the source would reset every time I turned it on, some of the features didn't work right, etc. I just bought an HW-F450 (2013 replacement) this morning, and am happy to report that all issues are fixed. It turns on and off with the TV, sound never drops no matter the source, and all features work as advertised. My Samsung F6400 TV remote controls the soundbar, and the soundbar remote controls the TV.

I've tested every feature, and made sure the issues I had with HW-E450 aren't present. It looks exactly like the HW-E450 (beautiful), but it actually works. smile.gif
post #660 of 730 Old 05-13-2013, 07:47 PM

Liked: 11
how safe is just to leave the soundbar always ON? that will just save all the trouble for people having HDMI/Samsugn TV issue of the soundbar not turning ON with the TV.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Samsung Hw E450 Wireless Airtrack Soundbar
Gear in this thread - E450 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page