Yamaha YAS-101 paired with a separate subwoofer...thoughts? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-07-2012, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
trying to run some options by the more learned members of this site. i am looking to get a good soundbar and keep price under $750. i have looked at the Yammy 2200 that comes with a subwoofer and all those connection options. then i thought about getting the YAS 101 and just pair it with a subwoofer (HSU, Polk or something in the $300 or so range). I even considered the polk 6000 (have heard good things on this one and has wireless sub) or the polk surround bar 400cht (but i would need to get a receiver and a subwoofer with that setup and would push the cost to $1000 or so which i would do if that setup would be much better than the other options listed). any thoughts on what would give me the most bang for the buck? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-08-2012, 06:33 AM

If you go to page two of the soundbar thread there is a thread on the YAS101. There is also my review on one of the pages, of my findings on the 101 I paired the Yamaha YST SW216 Sub with mine and find it excellent except for two things. 1. No auto shutoff which I fixed with a remote controlled plug so I don't have to go behind the sub to push in the on off switch -much more convienent and works great and reasonably priced on amazon. and 2. The on off light is also on the back so I don't always know if it is off. However the remote switch does make an actual click sound (very low click sound) coming from the switch plugged into a powerstrip on the floor at the back of my TV and I can usually hear it when I press the on or off button on the small remote.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-08-2012, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gened45 View Post

If you go to page two of the soundbar thread there is a thread on the YAS101. There is also my review on one of the pages, of my findings on the 101 I paired the Yamaha YST SW216 Sub with mine and find it excellent except for two things. 1. No auto shutoff which I fixed with a remote controlled plug so I don't have to go behind the sub to push in the on off switch -much more convienent and works great and reasonably priced on amazon. and 2. The on off light is also on the back so I don't always know if it is off. However the remote switch does make an actual click sound (very low click sound) coming from the switch plugged into a powerstrip on the floor at the back of my TV and I can usually hear it when I press the on or off button on the small remote.

yes, thanks i did review that thread. my only concern with the Yammy is that others have suggested it (and the 2200 for that matter) works best in a room with walls to bounce the sounds and create the psuedo surround effect. The room with the tv is a great room with a wall behind the tv and to the right of the tv, but open on the left to the kitchen area and in front of the tv, a long area back to the foyer and wall/staircase (at least 25 if not 30 feet with 10 foot ceilings). others on the forum have suggested that the Polk 6000 works well without 4 close surrounding walls. This is a gift for my son in law so i am limited to the cost I outlined above (i am splitting the cost with my daughter). I am even wondering if the Polk 400CHT paired with a sub might be the better option, but i believe i would need a separate receiver and that would make the cost prohibitive. Maybe i am thinking too hard about the problem and i should just get the YAS 101 and pair it with a good sub and the cost would be about $500. i know that even that without any surround effect woould be better than the Samsung Tv speakers.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-08-2012, 03:56 PM

My Samsung tv is against a wall with a open area to the left toward the foyer and front door. The right wall is about 8 feet or so away and from the front of the TV through the great room and into our open dining area to a hallway is about 40 or so feet. The ceiling in the whole great room - dining area - kitchen is peaked at 24 feet and with the sub and the 101 I have no problem punching up the volume and getting plenty of bass and surround sound to this area. If you are looking for true surround sound then maybe a theater in a box might fill the bill but for me (and my wife!) this arrangement is much better than my previous 5.1 Bose and sherwood receiver surround sound system. Not sure just exactly what you are looking for but it sounds like me wondering just what was what until I finally bit the bullet and tried the 101.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-08-2012, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

ok, thanks, i really appreciate your input.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-19-2012, 07:16 AM

Not sure if you are aware but the Yamaha YAS-101 actually has a built in subwoofer which is more than adequate to be honest. smile.gif
post #7 of 9 Old 12-27-2012, 07:52 AM

i just bought the sw216 yamaha to go with my yas 101.
dont have a clue on how to run the cords
back of yas has one plug for sub cable
back of sub has two plug ins?
post #8 of 9 Old 01-27-2013, 06:30 PM

Plug the cable from the soundbar into the mono port on the subwoofer. It's the port on the top. I suggest setting the "High Cut" to High.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-02-2013, 08:22 AM

Liked: 22
I just bought the same setup.

Yamaha YAS-101 soundbar with a Yamaha YST-SW216 subwoofer.

Anyone know what kind of cables I'm supposed to use to connect the two?

RCA? Phono?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Yamaha Yas 101bl Front Surround System Piano Black , Yamaha Yst Sw216bl Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - 101bl by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page