Soundbar overheating Denon AVR1912 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-10-2012, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a room that requires a sound bar. I have the sound bar mounted under a 47 inch flatscreen on an articulating arm with a sound bar mount.

My original set up:

Denon AVR 1912 (90w per channel) and Polk CHT400--This setup would overheat at 4db in 3 to 5 minutes using the AirPlay feature. Both the CHT400 and the AVR1912 were swapped out. If I played music via AppleTV not AirPlay, at the same volume it would take longer to overheat, but the AVR1912 always went into protect mode. The system only overheats with music, movies don't seem to work it as hard.

I have a Denon AVR1912 downstairs hooked up to some Bose Acoustimas Speakers and it runs fine at 4db (Apple TV, AirPlay, or whatever).

I pulled my Harmon Kardon receiver from the garage. It's an AVR235 (50w per channel) and it seemed to run the CHT400 at 4db without any issues. No HDMI, etc. So that is why it's in the garage.

Current Setup:

I was convinced it was a combination of the of CHT400 and the AVR1912. Not wanting to lose AirPlay on the receiver, I swapped out my SoundBar for a Definitive Mythos SSA-42. This speaker is much heavier and deeper than the CHT400. I was impressed with the sound but I was able to easily overheat at 4db, pretty much the same amount of time.

4db is loud but that is probably where it would be at a party. If it overheated in an hour that would be one thing, but 5 minutes it kind of ridiculous.

Yes, I do have subwoofer. The speakers have always been set to small, 120Hz.

I don't think I need a more powerful receiver, since my old 50W HK AVR235 seemed work fine. Maybe I use need a different reciever, I just don't under stand why the AVR1912 works with the Bose Speakers and not with the Soundbars (I did try to swap them, I overheated the downstairs one)

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-10-2012, 07:50 PM

Liked: 11
my guess is the denon just isn't dissipating the heat well enough. is the unit in an enclosed structure/rack?

are there currently any fans on the unit?

ps, im new here as well. welcome.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-11-2012, 04:47 AM

Liked: 53
If it is going into protect mode the impedance of the speakers might be too much for the Denon, a better receiver might be a better solution. Do NOT go by manufacturer's ratings of power, there are many ways to rate power (1ch, 2ch, all ch, partial bandwidth, full bandwidth, etc.). The only specs I trust from most manufacturers are size and weight. You HK receiver probably has more real world power. HK has typically been more honest with their ratings.

Heat could be a factor if you have poor ventilation, you should have at least 3" of space on each side. Either way though you are probably pushing it hard and something would better amps would help. The amplifier sections of receivers is one of the ways manufacturers have cut cost to include more features at a given price point.
post #4 of 11 Old 04-11-2012, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

As far as the location of the reciever, I tested in the cabinet with no back and plenty of space on all sides. I also tested table top, window open external fan at high speed. These things did not make any difference to overheating.

As far as I can tell, the Denon AVR1912 doesn't have any internal fans. I find it interesting that both the CHT400 and the SSA-42 overheat the Denon, but the Bose are fine (it's not a soundbar). Yes, the Denon goes into protect mode.

I was thinking about going with Denon AVR-2312CI but I am hesitant to go with Denon (maybe there is an internal issue). Maybe the InCommand series has more tolerances built in. I would like to have AirPlay, but not a "must have" since I have AppleTV. Maybe I should go with the HK.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-11-2012, 05:38 AM

Liked: 11
hmm...interesting. i just picked up a denon 1912 and have pushed it pretty hard. 80% volume for 30mins or so. i figured as long as its under warranty its time to put it to the test. i haven't had a single problem....... yet. lol. very well rounded for 399 shipped i paid.

is your unit still under warranty? i would take it in to see if it just has some type of weak link in it.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-11-2012, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

What speakers are hooked up to your AVR1912? What volume level? 85 or higher (4db or higher)

I have 2 AVR1912, one is downstairs on the Bose Speakers and the other is upstairs on the SoundBar. I have already swapped the one out upstairs with an RMA and the problem remains. I also took the one from downstairs and hooked it up to the Soundbar and it overheats, but works fine on the Bose Speakers.

I did buy this from Crutchfield and I have a few more days to swap it out. I am sure they are getting tired of hearing from me but I just want my receiver to play music loudly for a period of time.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-11-2012, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Just to clarify, the overheating only happens when I play music, movies are fine.

So, when I use AirPlay it will come up in Stereo Mode, then I use the remote or the App (DeRemote, great APP for Denon) to force it to Dolby Music, which utilizes all of the speakers.

Maybe If I just use Stereo Mode it will be OK.....I can try that quickly.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-11-2012, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

If I force it to Stereo, it is much cooler. I don't think it will overheat, since I am only driving 2 channels.

I did try hooking up 3.1 on the my CHT400 and force it to Music but that speaker has a switch (7.1, 5.1, 3.1), so it was still using all the speakers....and it still overheated.

Anyway, maybe I will just stick with the AVR1912 and run loud music in Stereo (it's just a soundbar, it's not like it really gives you 5.1 experience)
post #9 of 11 Old 06-23-2012, 05:37 AM

I have a similair issue wuth a Denon AVR1712 and Denon media player DNP720AE. I use the digital output of the DNP720AE to connect to the AVR1712. I am running a whole house system for music in several rooms and outside. I have also addressed the impedence issues using such a distribution system for the speakers and loading the receiver/amp. My home network is both wired and wireless. The DNP720AE is connected to the wired home network. I have ripped my music into iTunes using 320kps MP3 files. The MP3's are available to stream from iTunes or Media Player from my Windows PC. When I use the DNP720AE and stream music via the Music Server mode, the receiver runs cool and no issues. When I switch and use the Airplay feature of the DNP720AE, the receiver runs very very hot. Adding ventilation alows it to run but this should not run so hot the protection circuits kick in. There is something going on with Airplay and perhaps it's related to the wireless feature of Airplay using my iPhone 4S.... Excess EMF could be the issue...

Any additional thoughts are appreciated.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-27-2012, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
When you say you are running at 4db, is that 4db below max 0db. Not sure how Denon configures their volume pots these days. Unless this is what's recommended, this leaves you very little headroom for peaks in music. Music can be much more dynamic than movies. Since you say this only happens on air-play, this sounds as if the streaming component is causing some unexpected consequences.

I don't believe that the load presented by either the Polk or DefTech soundbars should present a problem to the Denon (although I am not sure how well regulated the Denon power supply may be).

David Freeman
post #11 of 11 Old 07-26-2012, 11:49 PM

Just another data point here which may or may not be relevant. wink.gif

I've recently bought a Def Tech SSA-50 and hooked it up to my Denon 2310. I've done a manual set up as the manual describes. I have an SVS sub and the crossover is set at 120Hz, soundbar channels set to small.

Works great so far.

Thought I'd try out auto set up to get Audyssey working - I known it's not recommended by Def Tech but others have reported good results - first detection/measurement step the receiver reported incorrect phase on L/R surround which I told it to ignore. Understandable given the contortions the SSA-50 goes through to given "surround". Halfway through the second place measurement, receiver shuts down and goes into protection mode. Tried again and it shut down even faster. Checked cables, nothing wrong there. Tried again, and the receiver doesn't even get all the way through the first detection phase before going into protection mode. Very weird.

I gave up at that point. The SSA-50 seems to work fine as it is when set up manually though I would like some of the Audyssey features I now miss.

Also, the receiver seems to run much hotter than it used to when it was driving a pair of floor standing B&W 804S set as large and with no sub. I guess it has something to do with the internal weirdness in the SSA-50 that is used to produce the "surround" effects. On paper it should be much easier to drive than those floor standers were especially now I have a sub in the mix.

I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith, I am nothing." ~ D.Adams
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Denon Avr 1912 Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page