Pictures of my Bose bar mounted under my 80" Sharp panel - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 04-15-2012, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've had more than a few request to post some photo's of my Bose 1SR mounted so here they is.

As some of you know I generaly suggest mounting any soundbar "above" a panel, but with the Bose it did not seem to make a difference, also in the pictures you might notice I have the Bose bar sitting on the wall shelf in the shelf mounted postion laying down (did that make sense ).

I also opted not to get the Bose wall mounting bracket that Bose SHOULD HAVE INCLUDED in the $1,500.00 1SR price tag,, yea, Bose wants around $50.00 for a wall bracket after you spend $1,500.00 on their soundbar,, you would think after Bose bent you over the table and shoved it to you with the $1,500.00 price tag they would have at least thrown in a wall bracket but such is not the case with Bose,,,, geeze, dont get me started about how Bose piss's me off sometimes so badly with their bad business choices.

Anyow,, I went to Home Depot and got a little wall shelf for about $17.00 that I think works much better than Bose's overpriced wall bracket for mounted Bose's overpriced soundbar.

The TV is my 80" Sharp,,,,(GREAT TV)

Cheers
Davyo

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 04-16-2012, 04:02 AM

Liked: 10
Nice room and setup Davyo!
Are you still loving your Bose?
post #3 of 29 Old 04-16-2012, 06:28 AM

How big is the room? Open concept?
post #4 of 29 Old 04-16-2012, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry Davyo but that $50 bracket would have made that install look a lot better. You install looks pretty cheesy, but thats my opinion.
post #5 of 29 Old 04-16-2012, 11:17 AM

Got to hear the Bose today at B.B. and I have to say it's the best sounbar I've heard to date! I was really impressed. Makes getting seperate speakers for surround a non issue. Just my 2 cents.
Ryan
post #6 of 29 Old 04-16-2012, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmascv View Post

Nice room and setup Davyo!
Are you still loving your Bose?

Yep,,, still happy with the Bose bar,,, but then again I have not tried out the HK SB30 yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stygz View Post

How big is the room? Open concept?

I have some openings to the right and left of the Bose and my 80" Sharp so its not the most soundbar friendly room,, Im suprised the Bose does as well as it does givin the gaps in the walls.

The room is about 15' wide by about 30' long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagorep View Post

Sorry Davyo but that $50 bracket would have made that install look a lot better. You install looks pretty cheesy, but thats my opinion.

And why does my install look "pretty cheesy" ???
What differences would the Bose bracket have made ???

Cheers
Davyo
post #7 of 29 Old 04-16-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagorep View Post

I wouldn't call the setup "cheesy," it just looks odd having such a low shelf. The mount would have made it look a bit cleaner but I'm sure hes worried more about the sound than which method he's using it to hang it on the wall.

I'm glad that you put the soundbar below the tv versus above it. A rule of thumb with the1sr and other speakers is to have it about ear level. With the 1sr It's better to have it below ear level than above.

- "K"
Fry's Electronics A/V
post #8 of 29 Old 04-16-2012, 03:07 PM

Liked: 32
Are you going by the rule of Cubits, or lose your tape measure? It is okay if you are going to be sitting on the floor on matts or on a Bean bag to watch tv. Min. I would have the set would be no lower than three feet, five if you have small kids or large pets in the home. Also, higher up means that you are not tilting your head down to watch tv, unless you are going to mainly be watching it while laying down on the couch, or snuggling.
post #9 of 29 Old 04-16-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Are you going by the rule of Cubits, or lose your tape measure? It is okay if you are going to be sitting on the floor on matts or on a Bean bag to watch tv. Min. I would have the set would be no lower than three feet, five if you have small kids or large pets in the home. Also, higher up means that you are not tilting your head down to watch tv, unless you are going to mainly be watching it while laying down on the couch, or snuggling.

After taking a second look at the picture, I agree the tv does look awfully low. Raising both the tv and soundbar would make it easier to view, keep it away from kids and pets, make the sound better

- "K"
Fry's Electronics A/V
post #10 of 29 Old 04-16-2012, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoStatik View Post

I wouldn't call the setup "cheesy," it just looks odd having such a low shelf. The mount would have made it look a bit cleaner but I'm sure hes worried more about the sound than which method he's using it to hang it on the wall.

I'm glad that you put the soundbar below the tv versus above it. A rule of thumb with the1sr and other speakers is to have it about ear level. With the 1sr It's better to have it below ear level than above.

Well there is a reason its on a shelf,,,, the 1SR is sitting in the shelf mount position and the reason for that is that the sound coming out of the bar is directed upward to reflect off the ceiling.

Had I wall mounted the Bose bar under my 80" panel the sound would only be shooting forward and not been refecting off the ceiling, also with the bar wall mounted my 80" Sharp would have been blocking the Bose from any possible upward sound reflection as the 80" Sharp extends further out from the wall than the Bose would if the Bose was wall mounted with the Bose bracket

Putting the Bose on that little shelf allows me to bring the Bose bar futher out from the wall so the Sharp panel is not blocking it and blocking its ability to shoot and reflect the sound upward at the ceiling.

Clearly its impossible to put the Bose bar at ear level as the 80" Sharp is a rather large panel so putting the bar under or above are my only choices with such a large panel.

I did try mounting the Bose above my 80" panel and the sound was pretty good, but mounting it under with the Bose bar in the shelf position did improve the sound,,, how ever I have concidered remounting it on top of my panel as I agree it would look cleaner,, but I would take a slight hit in sound quality.

As far as your rule of thumb statement that bars sound better at ear level, I would have to disagree,,,, I have been doing soundbars for many many many years and have always experimented with different mounting spots (above or below a panel),,,,, in almost every case every soundbar I have ever had sounded better mounted above a panel and above ear level.

Generaly, having a soundbar mounted at ear level or lower means all the sound is getting eaten up by carpet and furniture and bodys and anything that might be hanging on the walls,,,, soundbars need to reflect sound off walls and there is generaly less stuff to hinder the sound reflection up higher,, soundbars also reflect off ceilings.

The 1SR is the first soundbar I have ever mounted below a panel, but its works with the Bose because of the shelf mounting feature/design the Bose has,,,,,, any other soundbar I would have mounted it above or on top of my 80" Sharp.

Cheers
Davyo
post #11 of 29 Old 04-16-2012, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoStatik View Post

After taking a second look at the picture, I agree the tv does look awfully low. Raising both the tv and soundbar would make it easier to view, keep it away from kids and pets, make the sound better

Dont mean to bum you guys out but the TV is dead center at eye level when sitting on the couch,,, if I were to raise the TV I would be tilting my head up to watch it.

For the record, my couch does sit a few inches lower than most couch's and also for the record,,, I do have two black leather bean bags,,, when sitting on the bean bags my head is very much tilted up to watch the Sharp.

With an LCD you really need to be at exact eye level,,, if it was a plasma it would not be a big deal.

Also,, perhpaps your not taking into concsideration how BIG an 80" panel is,,, it eats up alot of wall space.

Cheers
Davyo
post #12 of 29 Old 04-16-2012, 03:59 PM

Just that with the photo davyo, it gives a perception that it is sitting at about 18" or so from the floor. Using something as a reference, that everyone knows is going to be the same for them as it is for you, always allows people to see at what height, level or how large a item is.

I had to guess, the bottom of the tv is about 28 inches from the floor, with the bottom of the shelf at about 22-24 inches from the floor, by using the sub as a reference for height. Your couch must be very low to the floor. Our 42" Plasma is aprx 24 inches from the floor, and with me being a guy that is 6'-4", sitting on the couch, I have to tilt my head down, due to the top of the tv is at my head height.

A 80" even sitting at the height you have it, I would be looking dead on to the top half of the set, unless the couch is set a far distance away, then my perception would be that I would be looking center of the set.

Just saying that even though you see it as a large set, it is just in my perception it is set too low. Just my .02.
post #13 of 29 Old 04-16-2012, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just that with the photo davyo, it gives a perception that it is sitting at about 18" or so from the floor. Using something as a reference, that everyone knows is going to be the same for them as it is for you, always allows people to see at what height, level or how large a item is.

I had to guess, the bottom of the tv is about 28 inches from the floor, with the bottom of the shelf at about 22-24 inches from the floor, by using the sub as a reference for height. Your couch must be very low to the floor. Our 42" Plasma is aprx 24 inches from the floor, and with me being a guy that is 6'-4", sitting on the couch, I have to tilt my head down, due to the top of the tv is at my head height.

A 80" even sitting at the height you have it, I would be looking dead on to the top half of the set, unless the couch is set a far distance away, then my perception would be that I would be looking center of the set.

Just saying that even though you see it as a large set, it is just in my perception it is set too low. Just my .02.

Actually the TV's bottom bezel is 22" from the floor , my couch seating is 14" off the floor, sitting in the overstuffed leather couch brings you down a few inches when you figure in the sinking factor,, the couch is 10' from the panel.

Im 5'7" so after sinking into the couch the panel is just a few inches lower than dead on middle of the screen eye level,, the reason I mounted it about 2 inches under exact eye level is for the bean bags that get lots of use.

My girlfriends are typicaly shorter than me (I typicaly date girls in the 5'0" to 5' 5" range) so it works well for them,,,,, if I were to date a dwarf or a midget I would need to lower the TV, thats the only reason I dont date dwarfs and or midgets.

Sitting on one of the bean bags your looking up at the TV.

Cheers
Davyo
post #14 of 29 Old 04-16-2012, 05:01 PM

davyo- how does the bose compare to the TVee 30 or Polk 6000? What size woofer does the bose have? How does the bass output compare to with the above soundbars?
post #15 of 29 Old 04-16-2012, 05:04 PM

The true Litmus test will be when you have a crowd over to watch a game, and people start complaining about the screen being blocked or not, by those sitting in front of it. If it works for you, that is fine.
post #16 of 29 Old 04-16-2012, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stygz View Post

davyo- how does the bose compare to the TVee 30 or Polk 6000? What size woofer does the bose have? How does the bass output compare to with the above soundbars?

I cant comment on the TVee as I have never demoed one at home,,, as far as the Polk 6000,, I had one and the Bose is way better in every way.

Quote:

The true Litmus test will be when you have a crowd over to watch a game, and people start complaining about the screen being blocked or not, by those sitting in front of it. If it works for you, that is fine.

Well I wont have any problems with any of that stuff,, I dont watch sports of any kind and really dont have any large groups of people over for TV viewing,,, my setup is mostly a home theater type vibe for having a GF over for movie night,,, and my daily viewing of course.

Cheers
Davyo
post #17 of 29 Old 04-17-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

my setup is mostly a home theater type vibe for having a GF over for movie night

Davyo has got it figured out.

Girls don't care where your unit is located, they just care about how big it is and that they get to enjoy it.
post #18 of 29 Old 04-17-2012, 05:12 PM

So what size subwoofer is on the Bose? Does it have more output (bass)than polk....or is it just different sounding?

I used to have a Bose lifestyle 28 system about 8 years ago. It sounded good when it worked. After may hours on the phone with tech support and exchanging media centers I ended up returning it. I have alway wondered why Bose does not post frequency range (20-20,000) or power (watts per channel and so on). They seem to be secretive about their actual specs. I read somewhere Bose focuses sound on a more narrow spectrum instead of producing the full frequency range (20-20,000) a person is supposed to be able to hear.
post #19 of 29 Old 04-19-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
Looks very good to me. Not cheesy at all. Also height looks perfect for viewing from couch or chair. Most people mount panels way way too high.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #20 of 29 Old 04-21-2012, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

Looks very good to me. Not cheesy at all. Also height looks perfect for viewing from couch or chair. Most people mount panels way way too high.

Thanks for the positive feedback Star56,,,,,, when I posted those pictures I did not know I was going to get slammed so much for my mounting height or get the cheesy install comments.

Cheers
Davyo
post #21 of 29 Old 04-21-2012, 06:31 AM

Pay no attention Davyo, It all looks great and I know sounds good.
I have auditioned the Bose soundbar a few times and have to say it doesn't bad at all. I'm a big 5.1 guy but had to move into a smaller space thanks to some life changes. It could just be the ticket.

Take care
post #22 of 29 Old 04-21-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When u have a crowd over, the tv is never the focal point. The social interaction is.
post #23 of 29 Old 04-21-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post

When u have a crowd over, the tv is never the focal point. The social interaction is.

If there is a game on at our place, the tv is the focal point, because everyone is watching the game until commercial breaks or halftime.
post #24 of 29 Old 04-27-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Wow, is that soundbar really worth $1500? You could get a hell of a 5.1 system for that dough couldn't you?
post #25 of 29 Old 05-01-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 165
davyo, you apparently like the minimallist approach...that room is the polar opposite of "cluttered"!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #26 of 29 Old 05-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Its hard to get a feel for how the TV is positioned due to it being 80"!! You should put something in the pic like a chair or something for scale. If it was a 50" TV it would definitely be too low to the ground.
post #27 of 29 Old 05-04-2012, 12:51 PM

We need pictures of girl friends
post #28 of 29 Old 05-07-2012, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

Wow, is that soundbar really worth $1500? You could get a hell of a 5.1 system for that dough couldn't you?

Yep,,, I could get a hell of a 5.1 system for the cost of the Bose bar,, but I dont want a 5.1 system.
I like zero wire's running around the room, no speakers hanging all over the place and most of all I want user friendly.
Is a soundbar worth $1500.00,,,, if it puts out an amazing surround experience with no speakers all over the place and no wire's then I guess the answer might be yes,,, but then again I do think the Bose is overpriced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

davyo, you apparently like the minimallist approach...that room is the polar opposite of "cluttered"!

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckster View Post

We need pictures of girl friends

Yea,,, but AVS would not allow those kind of pictures

Cheers
Davyo
post #29 of 29 Old 01-21-2013, 10:06 AM

Having two media rooms in my home, both with top of the line equipment, seperate mono amps for each speaker, lexicon, etc, I finally gave in to a sound bar for my bedroom installation. .After auditioning every name brand sound bar I was convinced I would have to go with another full surround setup, that is, until I stumbled onto the bose and was blown away. If you are looking for a soundbar, and able to spring the 1500 pricetag, go no further than bose. Only because there isn't anything else on the market at that price that can beat it. My bedroom is 25X25 with 12 foot ceilings, and this incredible unit fills the room. The sub woofer is equally awesome, and does as good a job as my monster Veledyne with marble base.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Polk Audio Surroundbar Iht 6000 Instant Home Theater Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page