Panasonic SCHTB550 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 11-23-2012, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm hoping someone can help me with what seems to be an issue with my HTB550.

My PS3 is connected via HDMI directly to the soundbar. The soundbar is connected via HDMI (ARC) to the TV (ARC enabled). The issue is even if I play a bluray movie or any content that
comes with Dolby Digital or DTS sound, the sound bar is indicating only PCM (only PCM indicator lights up) is active. I can't get the sound bar to have the Dolby Digital (DD) or DTS indicators to light up. I already checked the audio settings for my PS3 (DD and DTS are enabled). I also made sure that the bluray movie is set to DD or DTS in the setup menu. I thought that DD or DTS or any virtual surround can be activated if the PS3 is directly connected to the sound bar. Anything else I can do to solve this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 11-26-2012, 01:03 PM

Liked: 11
What I'm guessing is happening is that the PS3 is recognizing that you do not have a 5.1 sound system hooked up and is sending the PCM signal. This is probably best too because if it sent the DTS there wouldn't be any surround speakers to play audio.

It's just a guess
one321 likes this.
post #33 of 42 Old 11-29-2012, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Can someone please confirm whether or not a volume NUMBER shows on the screen of a VIERA Link connected Panny TV when using the HTB550? I plan on purchasing this sound system but can't seem to get a definite answer. I know a volume bar shows up on the TV screen when using the TV remote to lower/raise the sound coming from the HTB550, but what I am asking is; Will a volume number show up?

That is to say: Can I tell my son "keep it at 21" and he would be able to see the"21" volume level on the TV screen...!? rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Panasonic TC-P55ST50
Panasonic DMP-BDT 220
Sony HT-CT100
Sony PS4
Sony PS3 Slim
PSN: Rican21
post #34 of 42 Old 12-02-2012, 03:50 PM

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and to all this high tech stuff. I recently bought a Panasonic gt50 and was looking for a good sound bar for the living room. The tv will be mounted above the fireplace and it makes it difficult to run wires. My question is if I have the sound bar sitting on the mantel and hooked up via hdmi arc and viera connect, can i hide the sound bar's main processor? The mantel isn't very deep so the processor doesn't fit neatly on it. I'm not too concerned with switching inputs since they're connected to the television.

How does the volume work via Viera connect? Do I point the remote to the TV or will i still have to have point the remote at the HTB550's main processor?

thank you very much.
post #35 of 42 Old 12-02-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
The TV is the "control", so once Viera Link is enabled you just aim the remote at the TV to adjust volume. You can also have the soundbar turn on/off with the TV if you choose to do so. To make any adjustments to the soundbar however, you'll need to use its remote and have access to the processor unit. Typically that's not something you'll do after initial setup and tinkering. smile.gif
post #36 of 42 Old 12-02-2012, 04:26 PM

Thank you very much for the info Possumgirl. That solves my problem. The sound bar will be perfect for my needs.
post #37 of 42 Old 12-03-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorRican View Post

Can someone please confirm whether or not a volume NUMBER shows on the screen of a VIERA Link connected Panny TV when using the HTB550? I plan on purchasing this sound system but can't seem to get a definite answer. I know a volume bar shows up on the TV screen when using the TV remote to lower/raise the sound coming from the HTB550, but what I am asking is; Will a volume number show up?
That is to say: Can I tell my son "keep it at 21" and he would be able to see the"21" volume level on the TV screen...!? rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

The TV is the "control", so once Viera Link is enabled you just aim the remote at the TV to adjust volume. You can also have the soundbar turn on/off with the TV if you choose to do so. To make any adjustments to the soundbar however, you'll need to use its remote and have access to the processor unit. Typically that's not something you'll do after initial setup and tinkering. smile.gif

Do you know the answer to my question?

Panasonic TC-P55ST50
Panasonic DMP-BDT 220
Sony HT-CT100
Sony PS4
Sony PS3 Slim
post #38 of 42 Old 12-03-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorRican View Post

Do you know the answer to my question?
Sorry, I don't know. I've never used the Panny bar. When I had a Sony bar connected to my Panny TV, volume level # did not display onscreen. Now I'm using a Denon AVR and it does display volume level onscreen. In both cases, my source devices are connected to the external system, not the TV. I do know when you set a Panny TV to external audio, the TV just displays that home theater bar with no numbers.
post #39 of 42 Old 12-03-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Sorry, I don't know. I've never used the Panny bar. When I had a Sony bar connected to my Panny TV, volume level # did not display onscreen. Now I'm using a Denon AVR and it does display volume level onscreen. In both cases, my source devices are connected to the external system, not the TV. I do know when you set a Panny TV to external audio, the TV just displays that home theater bar with no numbers.

No numbers? cool.gif

Thanks!

Panasonic TC-P55ST50
Panasonic DMP-BDT 220
Sony HT-CT100
Sony PS4
Sony PS3 Slim
post #40 of 42 Old 12-30-2012, 12:59 PM

YES
NUMBERS!

At least they show up on my Viera screen OK.

I've turned off the TV speakers and turned on "Home Theater" speakers in the Viera settings.

The on-screen volume indicator now shows: "Home Theater volume
45"
post #41 of 42 Old 12-30-2012, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye13 View Post

I'm hoping someone can help me with what seems to be an issue with my HTB550.
My PS3 is connected via HDMI directly to the soundbar. The soundbar is connected via HDMI (ARC) to the TV (ARC enabled). The issue is even if I play a bluray movie or any content that
comes with Dolby Digital or DTS sound, the sound bar is indicating only PCM (only PCM indicator lights up) is active. I can't get the sound bar to have the Dolby Digital (DD) or DTS indicators to light up. I already checked the audio settings for my PS3 (DD and DTS are enabled). I also made sure that the bluray movie is set to DD or DTS in the setup menu. I thought that DD or DTS or any virtual surround can be activated if the PS3 is directly connected to the sound bar. Anything else I can do to solve this issue?
If the ps3 is set to bitstream you'll get the notifications but it will be lossy it you set it to PCM you'll get Dolby true hd/dts hd to the soundbar.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #42 of 42 Old 01-07-2013, 01:29 PM

My Panasonic TC-P55GT50 is connected to a SCHTB550 sound bar. The sound bar turns on when the TV is turned on. I control the sound through the TV remote just fine without issues. However, if I have the TV's Netflix app paused or sitting in the home screen for a while my TV will turn on the screen saver and eventually shut off the sound bar. At the same time, it switches the TV's audio setting from Home Theater back to TV even though I have the TV speakers disabled. If I am in regular TV, I can just the Viera Tools to access Viera Link and switch back to Home Theater, which turns the sound bar back on. However, when I am in Netflix or any Smart TV app, I have to exit that app in order to access Viera Tools and the Viera Link option. I hope I'm not losing you here. Alternatively, I can use the sound bar remote to turn the sound bar back on, which isn't convenient for where I have the sound bar placed. Does anyone know how to get the TV to stop switching back from Home Theater to TV for audio and at the same time stop it from shutting off the sound bar, which only occurs if the TV is left sitting without media playing?

Edit: I looked through the manual many times but always overlooked this little nugget. Since there aren't a whole lot of settings and options with this thing, I'm guessing there isn't a way to extend or disable standby.

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Panasonic Sc Htb550 2 1 Channel 240 Watt Multi Positional Full Hd 3d Audio System With Wireless Musi
Gear in this thread - Htb550 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page