Yamaha YSP-4100 vs 2.1 In-wall setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-29-2012, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I presently have a small family room under renovation and am considering installing quality in-wall speakers for a 2.1 configuration. (Sub discrete, not in-wall) However, given the static nature of in-wall speakers I am also considering forgoing them and going with a Yamaha YSP-4100 (or 5100) instead.

The room is about 15ft by 15ft. Does anyone have any experience comparing the Yamaha unit vs a quality 2.1 setup? Does the sound reflection work well to warrant considering the unit for its surround sound capabilities over a 2.1?

Thanks for your thoughts and advice.
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-29-2012, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Both systems need a sub so I won't factor that in the comparison. The Yamaha will do better for surround sound, no doubt. Both of those surround bars can do a pretty convincing job with surround sound and sound decent. If you spend the same amount on 2 in-wall speakers and receiver you'll lose surround sound but will have better quality of sound especially for music.

I'd say if listening to music is a priority the 2.1 system is the way to go, for mostly TV and movie watching the surround bar would be a better solution. You have to decide which is more important to you.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-30-2012, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Bob. Your opinion confirms what I was thinking. I will have a sub regardless in the corner of the room. And yes, I plan to spend about the same amount with either setup, so I expect to be able to get some good in-walls, likely Atlantic Technology's at this point.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-30-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
The sub in tbe corner is not likely the best spot. Subs in corners do best if the sub is not powerful enough for the room, or your priority is maximum boom over well defined bass.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-30-2012, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post

The sub in tbe corner is not likely the best spot. Subs in corners do best if the sub is not powerful enough for the room, or your priority is maximum boom over well defined bass.

I agree. Unfortunately, the layout of the small room dictates it as such. The room is on a slab which makes alternate positioning difficult without putting it in an egress path. Thanks.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-02-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Both systems need a sub so I won't factor that in the comparison. The Yamaha will do better for surround sound, no doubt. Both of those surround bars can do a pretty convincing job with surround sound and sound decent. If you spend the same amount on 2 in-wall speakers and receiver you'll lose surround sound but will have better quality of sound especially for music.

I'd say if listening to music is a priority the 2.1 system is the way to go, for mostly TV and movie watching the surround bar would be a better solution. You have to decide which is more important to you.

Excellent advice.
Tim
post #7 of 7 Old 05-02-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

This is often true but not always. Occasionally room geometry is such that a corner could not only produce the most output but the flattest response.

If you know your sub HAS to go in a specific corner then you may want to look at an inexpensive room correction sub EQ like an Antimode 8033. The earlier C or S versions are pretty inexpensive and work well.

I have a Yamaha YSP5100 mated to an Epik Empire EQ'd by an Antimode 8033s in a bedroom rig and it is impressive for such a simple system.

BTW the surround effect with any soundbar (especially the 4100/5100) works much better if the room is not very open. If the room is very open you may want to consider tiny satellites for surrounds or stick to 2.1.
Good luck,
Tim
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Yamaha Ysp 4100bl Digital Sound Projector Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page