Advice for buying a great soundbar - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-01-2012, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Folks I'm looking for advice on what would be the best soundbar to get for my living room setup.

I have a nice TC-P58VT25 mounted in the wall of my living room. I also have a TiVo premiere xl hooked up to it and a Panasonic 3d blu ray player.

I'm looking for just the right soundbar to go with my setup. I wish I had more time to look in to everything but I am slammed with work and have a wife very close to here due date. Needless to say I'm pretty busy with a to do list and have not been able to do the amount of research I normally do when buying something like this.

Anyway one of the questions I have is do you need a good reciever to get the best sound out of your soundbar.

I have looked at the BW Panorama soundbar. It looks pretty great. I'm curious if I would get the best sound out of it hooking it up directly to my blu ray and TiVo? Just about all the blu rays come in HD DTS and HD DOLBY the Panorama only decodes Dolby and DTS. Is there a big difference to the ears hooking a reciever up first to decode the HD DTS and HD DOLBY and then sending the out out to the Panorama? What are everyone's thoughts on the BW Panorama soundbar?

I have also looked at the Bose soundbar. The CineMate 1 SR has the same problem as the Panorama soundbar that it only had a Dolby and DTS decoder built in so I miss out of that extra HD sound. Like I said I'm not sure if you would even hear the extra HD sound out of the soundbar even if there was a HD DTS and HD DOLBY reciever in the setup.

I am also interested I. The HKSB30. I checked out the spec sheet that was posted in the forum. It's a great looking soundbar for under 1000. Soundwise is it in the same class as the Bose 1 SR and the Panorama? The HKSB30 has the same issue as the other 2 that it only decodes Dolby Digital and DTS when hooked up directly.

Has anyone had a listen to the Bose LifeStyle 135 soundbar setup? Does it sound any better then the 1 SR? It looks like the LifeStyle 135 is able to decode Dolby Digital True HD but not HD-DTS.

Anyway I'm looking for any advice from this expert community. I have found this forum is the most knowledgable folks online to deal with this kind of question. Any help would be apprechiated.

Thanks in advance
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-01-2012, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davestercrombie View Post

Folks I'm looking for advice on what would be the best soundbar to get for my living room setup.

I have a nice TC-P58VT25 mounted in the wall of my living room. I also have a TiVo premiere xl hooked up to it and a Panasonic 3d blu ray player.

I'm looking for just the right soundbar to go with my setup. I wish I had more time to look in to everything but I am slammed with work and have a wife very close to here due date. Needless to say I'm pretty busy with a to do list and have not been able to do the amount of research I normally do when buying something like this.

Anyway one of the questions I have is do you need a good reciever to get the best sound out of your soundbar.

I have looked at the BW Panorama soundbar. It looks pretty great. I'm curious if I would get the best sound out of it hooking it up directly to my blu ray and TiVo? Just about all the blu rays come in HD DTS and HD DOLBY the Panorama only decodes Dolby and DTS. Is there a big difference to the ears hooking a reciever up first to decode the HD DTS and HD DOLBY and then sending the out out to the Panorama? What are everyone's thoughts on the BW Panorama soundbar?

I have also looked at the Bose soundbar. The CineMate 1 SR has the same problem as the Panorama soundbar that it only had a Dolby and DTS decoder built in so I miss out of that extra HD sound. Like I said I'm not sure if you would even hear the extra HD sound out of the soundbar even if there was a HD DTS and HD DOLBY reciever in the setup.

I am also interested I. The HKSB30. I checked out the spec sheet that was posted in the forum. It's a great looking soundbar for under 1000. Soundwise is it in the same class as the Bose 1 SR and the Panorama? The HKSB30 has the same issue as the other 2 that it only decodes Dolby Digital and DTS when hooked up directly.

Has anyone had a listen to the Bose LifeStyle 135 soundbar setup? Does it sound any better then the 1 SR? It looks like the LifeStyle 135 is able to decode Dolby Digital True HD but not HD-DTS.

Anyway I'm looking for any advice from this expert community. I have found this forum is the most knowledgable folks online to deal with this kind of question. Any help would be apprechiated.

Thanks in advance
David

On second thought I guess it would not matter if there was a reciever that could decode hd DTS and hd Dolby. The onboard stuff on the powered soundbars would not understand and downgrade it I would think.

I still would apprechiate opinions in what everyone things is the best soundbar sound wise.

Thanks
David
post #3 of 8 Old 05-01-2012, 08:50 PM

Y
post #4 of 8 Old 05-02-2012, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan1126 View Post

Y

I just figured since the onboard electronics on the Bose and Panaroma only decoded Dolby and DTS that if they recieved a HD single they would downgrade it to vanilla Dolby or vanilla DTS. I could be 100% wrong on that though.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-02-2012, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

Still looking for advice on the best sounding soundbar.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-02-2012, 11:06 AM

See my post:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post21968313

Although i'm looking for a passive(requiring external amplification) soundbar myself, i did demo the BW Ponorama, Bose 1sr and HK SB30 at local best buy/fry's and gave my impressions in the post referenced above. All these are active units so no amp/AVR required. If you can, visit your local best/fry to demo them.

I want an AVR for video upconverison, decoding dobly's and in room correction hoping to get better sound than the 'active' soundbar...
post #7 of 8 Old 05-02-2012, 12:45 PM

+1 for the HK SB30
post #8 of 8 Old 05-04-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
If your getting a sound bar, I wouldn't worry about decoding HD master audio codecs....

I have a Panorama and love it, it sounds like you aren't really constrained by a budget....I haven't listened to other soundbars but I did do A LOT of research before buying. I was debating between a YSP-4100 or panorama, and based on reviews, opinions on this forum and other forums, and overall build quality, I went with the Panorama.

+1 for Panorama

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Panasonic Tc P58vt25 58 Inch 3d 1080p Viera Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page