Floor model sound bars? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-04-2012, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Should I avoid floor model sound bars?

With Best Buy closing some stores, I checked out one of those stores and they're starting to discount the prices of their sound bars. But, I don't know if it being a floor model compromises the quality or lifespan of the sound bar.

If we were talking about a floor model TV that's been on for eight hours a day while the store is open, then I might be hesitant to buy one. But, Best Buy employee claimed that shouldn't be a problem because their sound bars aren't on eight hours a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-05-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danar1 View Post

Should I avoid floor model sound bars?

With Best Buy closing some stores, I checked out one of those stores and they're starting to discount the prices of their sound bars. But, I don't know if it being a floor model compromises the quality or lifespan of the sound bar.

If we were talking about a floor model TV that's been on for eight hours a day while the store is open, then I might be hesitant to buy one. But, Best Buy employee claimed that shouldn't be a problem because their sound bars aren't on eight hours a day.

I wouldn't have a problem buying floor model speakers. I'd take a look at the warranty of them and see if there is any noticeable damages, as well as test them before buying them. (Also, try to find the newest models available that way you'd get the best deal possible as well as them being barely used compared to the older models.)

If the item has been displayed on the floor for more than 10 months or so, I'd probably pass it up, unless it was a 2,000$ item selling for 500$....
post #3 of 3 Old 05-08-2012, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

The sales were more like 25% off to 33% off for the soundbars. But, prices might drop as it gets closer and closer to shutting down and turning off the lights. If it doesn't drop anymore, at those prices, should I just wait for brand new ones to go on sale? I'm not familiar with how much soundbars will be discounted on a sale.

When I looked at them, I didn't see any noticeable damages. But, I did some sticker residue on the speakers from stickers that they put on the soundbars.

And, what's the expected lifespan for these soundbars? If I knew that and how long they've been on floor, that would probably be an important factor whether or not to buy them.

To be honest, I usually don't like to buy extended warranties from Best Buy because they tend to be more expensive than other places. For example, for a electric range, the warranty for that from Home Depot or Lowe's was about $100 while Best Buy wanted something like $200. With a floor model, I might make an exception but then the cost of the warranty would eat up most of the savings I got. At that point, I don't know if it'd be better to just buy a new one.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page