Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 05-23-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I see this was just released...
http://www.martinlogan.com/motionSer...s/soundbar.php

Anyone that's demo'd or owns one please chime in. Seeing how Martin Logan helped develop the builtin soundbar on the Mitsubishi Unisen and the rave reviews that it has received I would expect this to be a few notches better.

I was originally considering the Bose 1SR after demoing it, and seeing as this is the same price that this might be worth a look. The other option was the HKSB30.

It looks like they ended up making it a lot deeper than originally planned but sound quality matters more than looks to me.

Davyo, is this one you might consider trying as well?!?!? I would love your expert opinion on this one as well!!

Thanks in Advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-23-2012, 06:18 PM

Cant help with input but would also like to hear if anyone has demo'd it.

Looks really nice and would be something I would purchase.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yep. I heard it was coming really soon. This could truly be the King of soundbars. I cant wait to start to hear some impressions, and hear it myself. ..My Magnolia Best Buy is listing it in stock tomorrow. I hope they have one to demo!
post #4 of 17 Old 05-24-2012, 01:40 AM

no hdmi ?
post #5 of 17 Old 05-24-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhuong View Post

I see this was just released...
http://www.martinlogan.com/motionSer...s/soundbar.php

Anyone that's demo'd or owns one please chime in. Seeing how Martin Logan helped develop the builtin soundbar on the Mitsubishi Unisen and the rave reviews that it has received I would expect this to be a few notches better.

I was originally considering the Bose 1SR after demoing it, and seeing as this is the same price that this might be worth a look. The other option was the HKSB30.

It looks like they ended up making it a lot deeper than originally planned but sound quality matters more than looks to me.

Davyo, is this one you might consider trying as well?!?!? I would love your expert opinion on this one as well!!

Thanks in Advance!

Wow,, thanks for posting this,,, I had not even heard about this on coming out.

And yea,, myself and I know Frosty are big fans of the Unisen bar on the Mits TV so this should be very interesting to check out.

Thanks again for the posting !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostylou View Post

Yep. I heard it was coming really soon. This could truly be the King of soundbars. I cant wait to start to hear some impressions, and hear it myself. ..My Magnolia Best Buy is listing it in stock tomorrow. I hope they have one to demo!

Hey Frosty,,,, yea, this could be a very cool bar,,,, and yea,, if ya get a chance to hear it make sure to post those impressions ,,,,, I think I will make a trip over to my local Mag as well and see if they have one or are getting one in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgeo View Post

no hdmi ?

Not having HDMI should not be a deal breaker at all.

Cheers
Davyo
post #6 of 17 Old 05-24-2012, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Well, just spent about an hour with the sound bar. I must say Martin Logan did a glorious job with this. Again it's the same problem.. listening to it in a very wide open space in Magnolia Best Buy ..where it should REALLY be in a room.

It had a VERY good bass considering that there was no dedicated subwoofer. But I must say. With the sub woofer it would be a completely different level. Very much like the panorama.

What was very striking was the dialogue was absolutely the best I've ever heard in a sound bar. Bar none..( no pun) Warm, round, uncolored..

Surround sound.???..The biq question. Until I can hear it in a good room, with at least 'some' walls, I don't really want to comment. I did get a good sense of envelopment, but even the yamaha ysps and Mitsubishi Unisens are only going to give 10% of the surround sound experience in a huge open space, with no walls.

But if I had to take an educated guess,.. having this Martin Logan sound bar 1- in the right room, and
2-with a dedicated sub woofer, might very will be the best sound bar experience one could have.(But it had neither advantage today.)
post #7 of 17 Old 06-01-2012, 05:34 AM

Had the opportunity to play with one at the local Best Buy speaker room....sounds fantastic. Just won an auction at Boston's PBS television channel for one (great buy at $995). Shipping direct to me from Martin Logan...can't wait to get it. Going to move my current system (2 x Motion 12, 2 x Motion 10, 1 x Motion C center and dynamo 700) to the basement from the living room and will use the Motion Vision in the living room to free up some floor space. Considering another Dynamo if necessary. Will update once it arrives!

Update June 18th.... not shipping from M-L until June 25th

post #8 of 17 Old 06-06-2012, 04:30 PM

Just an FYI, being as the soundbar has no sub (wireless, wired).. the Dynamo 700 or 1000 models can wirelessly sync up with it. (Seeing as they both come with the wireless ready transmitter new in box.) The Vision has the transmitter built in.
post #9 of 17 Old 06-09-2012, 07:26 PM

How does the New Martin Logan soundbar compare to other sound bars in its price range like the bose and the more expensive bowers and wilkins
post #10 of 17 Old 06-13-2012, 11:17 AM

I'd love to hear how this sound bar delivers...
I'm determining whether to use 2.1 / 3.1 or hi end sound bar with my new internet plasma tv.
Currently, I don't have receiver, or speakers. I'm retiring a 20 year old less than wonderful system.
post #11 of 17 Old 06-13-2012, 04:26 PM

Liked: 12
Looks like a very nice 3.1 bar. But don't expect it will deliver good surround sound as it was not designed as a sound projector.
post #12 of 17 Old 06-13-2012, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Exactly my impression..
post #13 of 17 Old 06-15-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crc23098 View Post

How does the New Martin Logan soundbar compare to other sound bars in its price range like the bose and the more expensive bowers and wilkins

I'd also be interested in a M-L and B&W comparison...

-G
post #14 of 17 Old 06-15-2012, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Four 4-inch drivers, and they say it plays down to 43 Hz +/- 3dB? Doesn't seem possible.

Kipa
post #15 of 17 Old 06-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipa View Post

Four 4-inch drivers, and they say it plays down to 43 Hz +/- 3dB? Doesn't seem possible.
Kipa

I was quite shocked at how good the bass was with it. That said, I personally would still want to hook up an external subwoofer.
post #16 of 17 Old 07-29-2012, 03:34 PM

I recently bought the Martin Logan soundbar. I've compared it to all the other well-known high-end companies including B&W. First of all, B&W's price is much much higher, and it's quality is much much lower than Martin Logans. I was actually shocked. I made sure that I brought both soundbars into the Magnolia sound room and played some music from it. I would have to say the clarity of levels on the ML is incredible without a subwoofer, plus you have options of modes (night, normal, bass+) and the volume levels on ML goes to 100 while B&W only had about 25 or 30, so there's more wiggle room on the ML. I've been nothing but please with my soundbar and I'd had to say that it really isn't even put in a spot where I can get the most out of it. When I move, I'll probably put it on the wall (it has settings for one wall and off wall use). I hope this helps people a little bit, but I'm only reiterating what the ML website review says....because it just happens to be true. Hot damn.
post #17 of 17 Old 07-30-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
I remember when the Grateful Dead said they were working on dynamics in the studio. Going between loud and deafening. Also remember when Spinal Tap wanted amplifiers that went to "11". No cut intended to the ML soundbar as I have not had the opportunity to audition. However, the number of gradient steps on the volume control mean absolutely nothing as far as headroom, volume or clarity of sound.

The most sensible volume controls I remember were from some 1970's Japanese manufacturers that showed absolute volume as zero and the steps leading up to zero were the db's below absolute.

David Freeman
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Bose Cinemate 1 Sr Digital Home Theater Speaker System

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page