Active vs. Passive soundbar - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-23-2012, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So this has been discussed a little but I have been unable to find a good answer to my question. So here it is:

I am trying to set up my home theater and all I have from an audio perspective at this point are the speaker from my tv, which got old after about two days. Since my layout isn't condusive to a true 5.1 surround sound system, I have decided to go down the soundbar route. Which, after doing some research, brings me to my question. I have narrowed down my two options to:

Active:
HK SB 30

Passive:
Acoustech H-100 sub
BIC FH-56 soundbar
Marantz NR1402 receiver

These two options would cost about the same, but I am just not knowledgeable enough to decide which way to go. can someone please help me out with the pluses / minuses between active vs. passive and which setup I may be happier with?

Thanks in advance for your help,
TheChad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-24-2012, 05:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I'm not familiar with either system but I speculate the passive system should sound better and play louder. You are comparing a bar with 2" drivers and 1" tweeter to one with a 6.5" woofers and horns. The subwoofer you are comapring an 8" to a 12". I would hope the BIC system would give better bass and midrange response and play a lot louder cleaner if it is designed well.

I'm not sure which will give the best surround effect, that is tougher to speculate. If based on specs alone it seems the passive system has a lot more going for it in this instance.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Marantz Nr1402 Av Receiver , Harman Kardon Sb 30 5 1 Soundbar And Wireless Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page