Need some help for a total noob. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-24-2012, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

A couple quick questions for those who understand this stuff better than myself. I live in a rented home w/ no HT set up or wiring. We have a pretty large family room where our TV sits. 20x15 ft or so. I have a 65" mitsubishi DLP and an OPPO BDP-93. No receiver. I'm looking to upgrade my audio, b/c right now I'm just using TV speakers. I recently started my first "real" job, and have been slowly piecing my HT together.

I've been considering getting a soundbar w/ subwoofer as my primary audio system. The one sticking out in my mind is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-S40...dp/B002ZG7WIA/

However, I'm flexible on that point. My price range for audio is ~500$. I might go a little over, but I'd prefer to stay under. I don't own a receiver, but have no problems getting one in the future. My understanding though is that I don't need a receiver w/ the sound bars. I've considered also doing tower speakers. Right now, the BP6s are on sale for ridiculously good prices.

http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Tec...dp/B000TD8XG6/

However, I think I'd need a receiver to hook up two of those as a L/R sound system, right? Being unable to run wire through my walls to set up a true surround HD system, what's my best option? I'm open to suggestions, but like I said, I'm kind of a noob (though not an idiot ), so I appreciate whatever help, advice, and tips you'd suggest.

Thanks,

jacobugath
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-24-2012, 08:04 AM

Liked: 10
I would forget about the soundbar and look into a packaged HT. I'm not too familiar with them and I'm sure somebody will chime in on a good one to buy.
As for running the wires to the rear. If you're handy you could remove the base moulding, cut a 1 inch channel in the base of the Sheetrock and run the wires in that that space to the rear of the room then make a small hole where the speakers will go and snake the wires up to those locations. Just install the moulding back and you have a nice clean install. When it's time to move just fill in the small holes by the speakers and paint.

post #3 of 3 Old 05-29-2012, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
You can do a couple of different things depending on budget and how much work you want to do. Probably the simplest would be a soundbar with a wireless sub and rear speakers. In this case the rear speakers connect to the sub. You may have problems with a soundbar though given the size of the room. Check out the Vizio VHT510.

Another option would be to get a receiver and a couple of bookshelf speakers now and then add a center, rear surrounds and a sub over time. It would be better to get decent bookshelves than cheap towers IMO. The good thing with this setup is you could also hold off on running wires as well until you figure out exactly what you want to do.

Lastly if you really don't want to run any wires (even just along/behind the baseboard), you could look at wireless amp solutions for the rear speakers. Something like the Rocketfish wireless transmitter and amplified receiver would work.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page