Soundbar issues? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-25-2012, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have a Haier soundbar and I am trying to hook it up to a Panasonic Panasonic VIERA TC-P42ST30. My goal is to run an optical cable from the optical out on the TV to the optical in on the soundbar. But when I do this I get no sound from the TV. I am using an over the air antenna, Wii and ps3. I have tried two different optical cables and neither of them are giving me sound. If I hook a ps3 up to the soundbar directly via HDMI I do get sound. So at least I know the soundbar speakers are working. So here is my issue. Is the optical out on my TV busted? Is the optical input on the soundbar busted? Is there a setting on my TV where I need to tell it to output via optical instead of TV speakers? Thoughts? This is driving me nuts. I thought I could run the Wii, ps3 and OTA directly to the TV, run optical out to the soundbar and be done. This 10 minute project is taking much longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-25-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrkeller View Post

So I have a Haier soundbar and I am trying to hook it up to a Panasonic Panasonic VIERA TC-P42ST30. My goal is to run an optical cable from the optical out on the TV to the optical in on the soundbar. But when I do this I get no sound from the TV. I am using an over the air antenna, Wii and ps3. I have tried two different optical cables and neither of them are giving me sound. If I hook a ps3 up to the soundbar directly via HDMI I do get sound. So at least I know the soundbar speakers are working. So here is my issue. Is the optical out on my TV busted? Is the optical input on the soundbar busted? Is there a setting on my TV where I need to tell it to output via optical instead of TV speakers? Thoughts? This is driving me nuts. I thought I could run the Wii, ps3 and OTA directly to the TV, run optical out to the soundbar and be done. This 10 minute project is taking much longer.

Yes, your owner's manual for the ST30 tells you how to do that.

You may have another issue for OTA though. The guide for the Haier contains the following statement:
When you connect S/PDIF, make sure to set the source device output mode to PCM. Refer to the user manual of the source device for more detailed information about the audio output settings. The problem is that Panny TVs do not give you an option to output PCM. If the TV is receiving Dolby D, that's what it outputs. You can't change it and it sounds like the Haier is not able to accept anything over optical except PCM.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-25-2012, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I will check the Panasonic manual and see what I come up with. I have never had to set a TV to output before, it was always automatic on previous sets. The OTA will be interesting. I will be a bit annoyed if I have to use the TV speakers, though at least the Wii and ps3 will have better sound. Ironically I went with a soundbar for the ease... I should have gone with a standard stereo receiver with speakers. Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks

Edit:

I wonder if I can use a optical to RCA converter box and use the Haier's direct line in, and get OTA to work?
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page