Zvox Static - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-02-2012, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and am looking for some basic help. I understand the basics of A/V and have a bit of a problem. I own a Zvox 580 soundbar and a Samsung BD-E6500 and a Samsung PN51E8000GF. I have owned this setup for 2 months. I recently borrowed a copy of Tron 3D and upon watching the first few minutes of the movie I notice subtle static on some of the audio, it only happens at times and is repetitive but not the same. It happens every 3-8 seconds and is really annoying. (of course my wife claims im crazy, she does not hear it) My first thought is that its my connective wires. I checked my hdmi from the BR player to my tv and changed it. My Zvox is hooked my to the tv with a optical cable, because there is no hdmi on the zvox. Should I change that out too? Do digital optical cables ever fail? Please help!
Thank you in advance!
Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-03-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffwave View Post

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and am looking for some basic help. I understand the basics of A/V and have a bit of a problem. I own a Zvox 580 soundbar and a Samsung BD-E6500 and a Samsung PN51E8000GF. I have owned this setup for 2 months. I recently borrowed a copy of Tron 3D and upon watching the first few minutes of the movie I notice subtle static on some of the audio, it only happens at times and is repetitive but not the same. It happens every 3-8 seconds and is really annoying. (of course my wife claims im crazy, she does not hear it) My first thought is that its my connective wires. I checked my hdmi from the BR player to my tv and changed it. My Zvox is hooked my to the tv with a optical cable, because there is no hdmi on the zvox. Should I change that out too? Do digital optical cables ever fail? Please help!
Thank you in advance!
Ryan

Ryan, a possible solution...

I have had the 580 connected to both a Pioneer and a Sharp display and experienced the type of 'static' that you mentioned. I resolved the problem by disconnecting the TV speakers and using only the 580 for audio.

If your TV speakers have not been disabled, make a disconnect and hope for positive results.

-George
post #3 of 6 Old 06-03-2012, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you George for the quick feedback! I have turned off my TV speakers but I will check again. I called zvox today and left a message, I hope they can help!

Ryan
post #4 of 6 Old 06-12-2012, 11:37 AM

Ryan: If you're still following this thread, here's some additional info about the sub: (note that this is not related to your original static question)

After trying to connect an external subwoofer with no success (and with much troubleshooting) I wrote to ZVOX seeking a solution and received the foowing reply:

"ZVOX Audio has learned that some "stand-alone" powered subwoofer models are incompatible with the subwoofer output provided on the ZVOX Audio 555 and 580. These subwoofers require a stronger signal than the level available from the subwoofer output on the ZVOX Audio system. The available signal level from the subwoofer out on the ZVOX Audio systems cannot be increased."

-G
post #5 of 6 Old 06-12-2012, 12:49 PM

This is Fred Pinkerton, Product Manager at ZVOX Audio. Optical digital audio is used because it is inherently shielded. It is unlikely that only the optical audio path would allow interference that wasn't heard on the analog audio inputs. It possible the sounds you hear are some artifact of our Dolby Digital 5.1 processing. In these cases, sounds that are "down in the mix" in a stereo speaker system and in a 5.1 separate speaker system are accentuated in the PhaseCue II system we use to create a soundfield using our subwoofer/left/center/right speaker complement.

You should know that there are two possible sources for the sound you hear from a ZVOX 580: two channel Dolby Surround or 5.1 channel Dolby Digital. Both signals are part of the Dolby Digital bitstream.

If the 580 is connected to your TV's optical audio output, then the digital signal sent to the ZVOX is usually PCM stereo audio.
The Dolby Digital decoder in the TV takes the Dolby Digital bitstream, reads the native Dolby Surround two channel signal within the Dolby Digital bitstream and converts it to PCM digital stereo.
There is no audible difference between the PCM stereo digital signal sent to the ZVOX and the Dolby Surround stereo signal.

It possible that your TV is sending the native Dolby Digital bitstream directly to the 580. In this case, the Dolby Digital decoder in the ZVOX decodes all five plus one channels and creates a "better" soundfield based on the 5.1 signal. This decoding process is unique to a ZVOX 555 and 580.

You could tell if the Dolby Digital signal vx Dolby Surround signal is the source of the difference if the disc menu has an option for sending Dolby Digital vs Dolby Surround vs stereo.

The ZVOX Audio 555 and 580 use a sophisticated audio decoder processor developed by an outside agency. This decoder/processor engine passed Dolby Labs rigorous certification process. At ZVOX, we concentrate on taking the 5.1 separate channels and processing them before sending the signals to the bass, left, center and right speakers. It's possible that some sonic passages in the Dolby Digital soundtrack of this movie create the notable effects you hear.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-11-2014, 04:39 PM

Fred,

Hopefully you can help me. I have had the Zvox 555 for a week. Due to my Panasonic plasma not having an optical audio out (unless you buy a $70 adapter) I have connected the Zvox in the following way: optical digital cable from AT&T Uverse box to 555, and coaxial digital cable from Sony Blu-ray player to 555.

The connection between the Uverse box and the 555 is absolutely fine. The problem is when watching DVD or Blue Ray on the Sony with some disc (not all) I get continual disruptions of sound, including popping noises, hiss, and the complete loss of all sound.

In researching the problem it was suggested setting up the Sony blu ray player to Dolby digital only and have the DTS in PCM mode. Tried that and it didn’t work. Other suggestion is to use the analog connections (RCA red and white) and some people say that will solve the problem. I’m going to try that but am concerned that sound won’t have same quality as digital.

Any ideas or suggestions from you would be appreciated.
Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page