Vizio VHT 210 IS/PDIF Optical - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-04-2012, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello just ordered one of these sound bars but I think I should of possibly done more research before I did. Seems like it only has an optical in so if I want to use all my HDMI devises I will have to use the optical out of my HDTV well two things I was reading here that the audio from IS/PDIF is inferior to the newer HDMI chips and that this is actually older technology. My current TV in the bedroom is 32 inches but I really want to get something larger. Seems like most of the newer HD TVs don't support optical out just the old RCA connections so I was wondering if this is considered old technology IS/PDIF, and maybe I should just return it for a soundbar that supports HDMI so that I can use it as a switcher for all my compontents. Thanks

Tom j.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-04-2012, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Not sure where you've been doing research. The audio quality over optical and HDMI should be exactly the same. However, only HDMI can transport the HD audio codecs found on blu-rays. Optical is limited by bandwidth to the core DD & DTS codecs.

Also, many newer HDTVs are doing away with analog (red/white) audio out in favor of digital only, not the other way around. Most new TVs also support ARC now. Something to be aware of if that many (although not all) TVs only output 2 ch stereo over digital (or ARC) from devices connected to the TV. They do output DD5.1 from their internal tuners.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-04-2012, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Not sure where you've been doing research. The audio quality over optical and HDMI should be exactly the same. However, only HDMI can transport the HD audio codecs found on blu-rays. Optical is limited by bandwidth to the core DD & DTS codecs.

Also, many newer HDTVs are doing away with analog (red/white) audio out in favor of digital only, not the other way around. Most new TVs also support ARC now. Something to be aware of if that many (although not all) TVs only output 2 ch stereo over digital (or ARC) from devices connected to the TV. They do output DD5.1 from their internal tuners.

Actually I read it here where a comparison was done between HDMI and IS/PDIF audio and the newer HDMI chips were considered superior! and I agree most TV are doing away with composite RCA jacks but I was wondering if they are still supporting optical out haven't seen that many that currently do. Hay if you want the link to the comparison I'll look it up. and post it for you.

Tom
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page