3.1 vs 2.1 and "surround modes" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-22-2012, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a large family room with no back wall. If I use a soundbar and sub I don't expect I'll get much in the way of surround affects. So my bigger concerns are good stereo sound for music and good, clear dialog for movies with reasonably good front stage affects. Without knowing too much about soundbar technology I was kind of thinking that a "3.1" soundbar would be best for my needs. If it has a specific center channel then I would expect it to have clear dialog from that speaker(s) and good affects from the Rand L. On the other hand it could, presumably, turn down or off the center channel for music I could hopefully get decent stereo music.

So, will any soundbar even if it only has L and R speakers give me good stereo and good dialog, or would I do better to look for one that has a dedicated center channel? I would think the latter, but since I see so few of those I'm wondering if I'm not understanding this right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-27-2012, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
This all depends on how well the manufacturer engineered the soundbar. I have owned 2.1 soundbars from Sony and Vizio as well as 4.1 from JVC. Also, a 5.1 Yamaha sound projector. Of these only one had a center channel (and cost about five times the cost of any of the others - fifteen times the cost of the Vizio). The Yamaha had the weakest center channel and was terrible on music. Surprising knowing the quality of Yamaha audio and music components.

The best center channel comes from the JVC which is simulating this from the two outside speakers in the soundbar. The Sony and Vizio were both close seconds and all three did sound good, not great, on music.

The Yamaha had the most convincing surround effects, but that was low on my priorities. Plus when I purchased the Yamaha, they were just about the only game in town.

David Freeman
post #3 of 4 Old 06-27-2012, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for that feedback. After getting a chance to listen to a few I finally went ahead and ordered one - one that I have not heard! I went with the BA TVEE30. I did hear the TVEE25 and loved the full, rich sound. I figure the 30 will only be even better than that. It has a dedicated center channel which should make dialog very clear, and a "music mode" which is closer to stereo and should make music sound pretty good too. When I was listening the only bar that sounded about as good (would have to listen longer). was the Harman Kardon. But the good one cost $800 and I can get a refurb'd TVEE30 for less than $300. I think will do just fine.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-29-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
The BA30 is a good unit and hopefully will fulfill your needs. BA's all seem to sound really good on music.

David Freeman
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Boston Acoustics Tvee Model 25 Sound System With Sleek Sound Bar And Wireless , Boston Acoustics Tvee Model 30 Sound System With Sleek Sound Bar And Wireless Subwoofer Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page