Yamaha YSP 2200 - Newbie needs help to some basic questions! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-25-2012, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've recently bought the Yamaha YSP 2200 which had some fantastic reviews and was a nice complement to my LG 47inch 3D TV.

I am not an audiophile at all and a total novice when it comes to setting these things up so I have some questions which may seem basic but bear with me!

My set up is the sound bar is connected to TV via HDMI on the ARC, my Sky HD box, Blu ray player and PS3 are connected into the sound bar.

Ok, questions are as follows:

1. The surround indicator light on the display is orange which indicates it is receiving a surround signal, however when I play a Blu ray with DTS HD Master Audio the lights stays orange rather than go blue (as per owner manual) so am wondering whether it is receiving the right signal?!

2. Is it correct that my TV sound is automatically muted when the Soundbar is turned on?

3. If I stream content through my TV the Soundbar audio doesn't work and the TV audio cuts in instead which totally confuses me! Surely the Soundbar should handle all audio from all inputs?

4. I did the auto installation with the mic and although the sound is incredibly loud and bassy I am not convinced it is totally surround sound (I do have an odd shaped lounge). Is there an easy way to check where the beams of sound are reflecting off as never having had surround before I just don't know whether it is working!

Sorry for the lame questions but I genuinely don't know where to look for the answers as the support documents are vague and I just want to ensure I am using the unit to its fullest capability.

Thanks
Simon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-27-2012, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 47
It has been about eighteen months since I had the opportunity to play with one of these for a couple of weeks, so I am attempting to answer only be memory and logic.

I own an older Yamaha sound projector which is in my son's custody (good luck ever seeing this again), so some of this is also based on the two years experience with the YSP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjrourke1976 View Post

1. The surround indicator light on the display is orange which indicates it is receiving a surround signal, however when I play a Blu ray with DTS HD Master Audio the lights stays orange rather than go blue (as per owner manual) so am wondering whether it is receiving the right signal?!

I believe the light should turn BLUE when receiving the DTS-HD signal. This would probably not worry me as I am not sure that the YSP-2200 has the resolving ability to make a significant difference in sound quality whether DTS-HD or regular surround.
Quote:

2. Is it correct that my TV sound is automatically muted when the Soundbar is turned on?

No. You should go into your TV settings and turn off the internal speakers.
Quote:

3. If I stream content through my TV the Soundbar audio doesn't work and the TV audio cuts in instead which totally confuses me! Surely the Soundbar should handle all audio from all inputs?

See answer 2. Turn off the internal (TV) speakers and make sue that you have connected the soundbar to an HDMI input that supports ARC. On most TV's, there is normally only one HDMI input that supports HDMI. I know on Panasonic, this is usually HDMI2 istead of HDMI1 which would seem the most logical to me.
Quote:

4. I did the auto installation with the mic and although the sound is incredibly loud and bassy I am not convinced it is totally surround sound (I do have an odd shaped lounge). Is there an easy way to check where the beams of sound are reflecting off as never having had surround before I just don't know whether it is working!

The YSP2200 relies on a number of factors to simulate surround sound (remember this is simulated surround, not real surround). Part of this is the phase of the audio signal, time delays to certain speakers, and a number of other audio tricks that are beyond my electronic comprehension, but in the right environment certainly give the impression of surround. You might try the surround sound test if you own a THX encoded movie (The Incredibles) or a high definition test disc like HD Essentials or the Disney WOW disc. To achieve a realistic simulation of surround, you do need side walls and it is best if the soundbar and TV are approximately equidistant from the two sides and probably no more than 8' to 10' from the side walls (closer is better).

David Freeman
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Yamaha Ysp 2200 Digital Sound Projector Black