Questions about soundbars that block the TV IR receiver, Sony CT150, Vizio VHT510, Yamaha YAS101 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-03-2012, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm looking at the Sony CT150 and Vizio VHT510 and will be hooking them up to a Panasonic plasma 65 inch ST30. I think these soundbars will block my TV's IR receiver and don't want to mount them on the wall or elsewhere because the TV is already on a pretty high console. Can these soundbars turn my TV on/off somehow? All other functions like changing channels would go through my DVR which won't be blocked.

How do you guys deal with this kind of problem? I have the Yamaha YAS101 which has an IR passthrough, so the other option would be to add an external sub, would that be a better option for me and make it comparable in SQ to the Sony? It seems like the Vizio would have better sound quality. I can return the Yamaha if these others are better for me.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-07-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
All three of your choices would be a major improvement over the built-in speakers from the Panasonic. What you need in the event the soundbar blocks your IR receiver is an IR extender. http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Acoustics-40430-Infrared-Repeater/dp/B001BLTDZA/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1344375091&sr=1-2&keywords=infrared+extender

I have used this model with zero problems in a number of installs.

David Freeman
post #3 of 5 Old 08-07-2012, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you David, that's very helpful and I appreciate it.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-11-2012, 05:58 PM

i have a sony ct150 hooked up to a panasonic 50" g20. both the tv (which is on its pedestal stand) and the soundbar are sitting atop an oak entertainment center. the soundbar is actually quite discreet, and while it does ever so slightly block my tv's ir port, all i have to do is lift my arm a bit and "shoot" the remote signal over the soundbar. it's really not as annoying as it sounds. i can be fully reclined on my sofa (it's a reclining sofa so i mean i'm actually laying back) and just an arm lift and i'm good. i only need to do the arm lift when i'm powering the tv on/off and adjusting volume. and viera link works perfectly with bravia sync, so i only have to use one remote (my fios stb's remote) a majority of the time to do everything. the soundbar turns on/off automatically with the tv.

easy breezy! smile.gif
post #5 of 5 Old 08-11-2012, 08:12 PM

Liked: 32
I also do the shoot over the sound bar, when shutting stuff down. Otherwise, just shift the bar a little over vs. keeping even in the middle, so that the eye is not blocked on the left by the power button. Some times you just have to look outside of the box to get through a problem.

Depending on your setup though, really depends on how the bar will be sitting in front of the tv. May be better to put a large painted or stained piece of 1/2 or 3/4 inch ply under the tv to raise it a little if you have to.
Reply Soundbars