DefTech SoloCinema XTR Sound Bar - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-04-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A recently received (Sept) issue of Home Theater magazine revealed that this new amplified soundbar with a wireless sub is(apparently) on the market. Would appreciate feedback from anyone who has seen or heard it.

-G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Funny. I've been really anxious to hear this one. Could be killer.
I hope they get into the stores soon. August release I believe
post #3 of 4 Old 08-07-2012, 07:47 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post

A recently received (Sept) issue of Home Theater magazine revealed that this new amplified soundbar with a wireless sub is(apparently) on the market. Would appreciate feedback from anyone who has seen or heard it.
-G
Hello GM, I am sorry about any confusion that we may have created. The SoloCinema XTR is going to be a great one, but it is not available yet. We're thinking it will ship in the end of August or the beginning of September. I will post something in the Definitive Technology Owner's thread when it starts shipping. Thanks for your interest!
Best regards, Joe
post #4 of 4 Old 11-15-2012, 12:00 AM

Liked: 10
1- 800-228-7148 def tech 

Definitive Technology Solocenima XTR

So here it goes, I bought this from crutchfield, but the first one I had to return because it was defective, to say the least this was a pain in the ass !, but ok, **** happens and it's a very new product.
Overall Crutchfield was great there customer service is second to none & they made it right. I received the second one and they sent it by fright and double packed it. The first one they didn't double pack & just shipped it in its original box. I'm in California so you can imagine what a cross country trip did to the thing but from now on I think they will ship this the more responsible way.

I also spoke to the Def Tech support, they too are great, and suggested I return it, super nice guys !!.

Ok now for the important stuff, the XTR feels like  quality gear, super easy to set up, with a good amount of HDMI inputs (3) 
There is a little pop when you fist turn it on, and switching between sources is not super fast, but hopefully firmware updates will continue to make this bar, better, faster, stronger !!
The remote is fine, easy to use, kinda feels cheep, but whatever. (ya feel the apple tv remote & it feels amazing at that thing is $100 bucks !)

Also be great if there was an on/off switch for the Sub only.

One BIG negative but not relevant to the sound is the lights on the bar, no way to turn them off or dim them, they need to fix this in a firmware update, ASAP !, kinda annoying all around !

THE SOUND !
HD TV:  HD movies and HD  TV Shows.  The XTR sounds great, the clarity on voice is terrific and the overall balance is good, I'd love to have a tad more control over the overall EQ, but at least you can control the sub & center volume.

The sub, sounds very good, I have never used a sub or had an audio system in my living room, but dame this thing gives a nice big realistic feel & adds killer impact.

As far as "surround sound" with HD TV  mostly with Dolby Digital (HBO etc)
 I haven't felt it, sure the bar is clear, full, balanced, but it's not true 5.1. 
(firmware update ?) It didn't really envelop you.

Sound Blu Ray:
PCM & Dolby True HD 
with the Prometheus Blu Ray
voice was super clear, bass sounded great, overall clarity was excellent and played plenty loud, but the surround sound or a 5.1 experience, not really.

So at the end of the day the bar rocks, but has a few shortcomings and really is not going to give you a totally immersive 5.1 feeling, perhaps other audio codes and different bly rays will give a slightly different effect, but otherwise this is one way too expensive and great sounding bar, with terrific bass. Some tweaks will be welcome and I'm interested in seeing if Def Tech, really keeps the ball rolling with firmware updates, only time will tell. 
Now I gota go make some $$ to pay for this thing !!
jmo

Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page