Vizio Soundbars (Is there any major difference between them?) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-16-2012, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a Vizio E3D42OVX. I'm wanting to add a soundbar to this. I don't need any fancy features, I just want better sound than the TV speakers, and I do plan to add a subwoofer (wired is fine). I plan to connect all components to the TV and then connect the TV to the soundbar with a digital audio cable. I don't want a ton of money in this, and would like to stay in the neighborhood of $150.00 more or less.

My initial plan was to purchase a refurbished Vizio VSB200 and add an inexpensive sub like the 10" Polk that is also offered by Wal-Mart through site-to-store. However, I could pick up a Vizio VSB211 package in store today. It would be a little less expensive, and I could take it home tonight.

My question, is there a huge difference (especially audibly) between the 40" VSB200 (site to store), VSB201 (they have new in my store), or VSB202 (available through Sam's Club or Amazon online), and the 32" VSB207 (included in the VSB211 package in my store)? Is there a better option I haven't considered yet? I not married to Vizio either. I would just like to stay inexpensive and already have the Vizio TV. Thanks in advace!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-16-2012, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I've answered one question myself. There is no optical-in on the VSB207/VSB211. Looks like I'm back to plan A.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-16-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
There's no optical in on the VSB201 or VSB206 either. The VSB202 has optical in but no sub out, which the other two do. Rock...hard place.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-16-2012, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

So I guess I'm all the way back to the referb VSB200 plus the Polk Sub via site-to-store.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-16-2012, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

There's no optical in on the VSB201 or VSB206 either. The VSB202 has optical in but no sub out, which the other two do. Rock...hard place.

WOW. Wal-mart has really misleading info on their website. The Data Sheet they have for download when viewing the VSB201 would lead you to believe it has one optical-in, while the Quick Start guide clearly doesn't show it. It isn't mentioned in the product description on the website, so I'm sure you are correct. Data sheet also indicates this decodes dolby digital; wouldn't you need at least an optical input to pass that to the soundbar? One of the reviews on their website (fairly negative) indicates that it has one TOSLINK optical input also. Guess I should just go look at the box in the store?
post #6 of 7 Old 08-16-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
I was relying on the quick start guides which I found online. I've no direct knowledge of any of those models; in fact, had not heard of any of them except for the VSB200.

You're correct that decoding DD implies there's a digital input, but having one doesn't guarantee the bar can accept anything other than PCM (like the VSB200).
post #7 of 7 Old 08-16-2012, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I verified on the Vizio website. The VSB201 should not have and optical input, and it is only certified for SRS WOW HD, not DD. I think the reviewer posted a review for the referb VSB200 in the wrong place on the Wal-Mart site, and I'm not sure what is going on with that data sheet. I'm not really worried about the DD since this isn't a true SS setup. I'll probably site-to-store the referb VSB200 though; I'm sure it will sound better through the optical-in than through RF-in. I can wait a week. I might even have a small sub lying around somewhere that I can throw on it for now. If not, I can pick a cheap one up somewhere down the line. Thanks Possum!
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Vizio E3d420vx 42 Passive 3d Lcd Hdtv , Vizio Vsb200 Universal Hd Sound Bar
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page