sound bar and optical audio cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-25-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a question. I have the lg nb3520a and it has two optical inputs so should i connect it directly into my dvr and blu ray player or will it sound the same going through the tv?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2012, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

ok so i found out my blu ray player has no optical output so i cant do any tests to find out if theres a difference or not so i have an hdmi connected to the tv and then the sound bars connected to my optical audio switcher thingy and then to the tv. so the question i have is am i getting the best possible sound doing it this way?
Old 08-27-2012, 12:47 PM

It depends on a couple of factors:
  1. Your TV should output 5.1 on its optical out for the HDMI input - you will have to refer your TV manual for this
  2. You should also check if your soundbar outputs in stereo or can decode 5.1

I didn't see a major difference personally and just connected took the digital out from TV and connected to the soundbar.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynation View Post

It depends on a couple of factors:
  1. Your TV should output 5.1 on its optical out for the HDMI input - you will have to refer your TV manual for this
  2. You should also check if your soundbar outputs in stereo or can decode 5.1
I didn't see a major difference personally and just connected took the digital out from TV and connected to the soundbar.

ok thx, I am not sure if my tv outputs 5.1 using optical I have the lg pv450 but ill check the manual.

and my soundbar does decode 5.1. I notice when i switched my dvr component cables to hdmi that the hd channels sound improved. it shows dd 3/2.1 and before it showed just pcm2/0.0. but i did not have to hook up the dvr directly to the sound bar to get dd 3/2.1.

now when i watch blu ray it only shows pcm2.0.0 and im wondering why its not showing dd 3.2.1. wish i had a blu ray player that had an optical output so i could try it out ill have to wait on that though im stuck with this cheap lg blu ray player for now with only an hdmi out.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Apparently your TV will output DD over optical since you're seeing DD 3/2.1 from your DVR. Blu-ray players are different in that when they determine they're connected to a TV during the HDMI handshake, they only output 2 ch. stereo since a TV is a "stereo" device. If the soundbar doesn't have HDMI input, and your BD player doesn't have optical output, you're stuck.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Apparently your TV will output DD over optical since you're seeing DD 3/2.1 from your DVR. Blu-ray players are different in that when they determine they're connected to a TV during the HDMI handshake, they only output 2 ch. stereo since a TV is a "stereo" device. If the soundbar doesn't have HDMI input, and your BD player doesn't have optical output, you're stuck.

oh ok i see, so should i just get a blu ray player with optical output or send it back ? i got it from amazon so theres still time for me to send it back but besides the limited inputs the sound is really good.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

whats weird is i was reading the top ten reviews website and it says that this sound bar has three hdmi inputs but it doesnt. lol
Old 08-31-2012, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

decided to go to costco and buy a new blu ray player with optical out. i tried it out last night and now it shows dts3/2.1 and the sound is better i notice i dont have to turn the volume as high now. the only problem i have is every time i switch between cable and blu ray i have to change the optical input setting and i wish there was a way it would change automatically.