Sony HT-CT260 or Yamaha Yas-201 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-01-2012, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Sony HT-CT260 comes out Sept. 19th

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/887659-REG/Sony_HT_CT260_Surround_Sound_Speaker.html

and the Yamaha Yas-201 is due out in November

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/digital-sound-projector/yas-201_black_u/?mode=model

I currently have a Sony HT-CT100 that I have had for years and looking to upgrade to something new, any thoughts on these? or recommendations on a new soundbar system? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-02-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Well, given that neither is out and neither can be assessed, I'm always intrigued by Yamaha soundbars, and it will be interesting to see how much of their top level technology will migrate down to the new, and more affordable model.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-26-2012, 02:30 PM

Well, I'm in the need of a soundbar and I wanted to wait for the release of the Sony HT-CT260 and HT-CT60. The 260 is released and I had the chance to look at it in store. Initially, my thought was that it didn't match the photos. Instead of going with a plastic cover where the speaker sound emits from, they used a fabric-like material similar to that found on conventional speakers. Even though I thought it wasn't as attractive as I hoped it would be, the specs seem good for the price. I decided to purchase it to give it a try. I should be getting it tomorrow so I'll try and provide my feedback by this weekend.

One thing I noticed about the unit is that it doesn't have any HDMI inputs or output. All inputs will have to be wired to the TV and then from there a single optical cable can be connected to the soundbar. This isn't a biggy for me, but it will mean more wires and potentially more clutter. Some other things to note is that it has a true wireless sub, no external receiver (unlike the CT550), LED display and bluetooth connectivity (all of which are mentioned in the specs, but good improvements to note over its predecessors)

If anyone has one of these or seen/heard it in person, please provide your thoughts!
post #4 of 7 Old 09-27-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meniac View Post

Well, I'm in the need of a soundbar and I wanted to wait for the release of the Sony HT-CT260 and HT-CT60. The 260 is released and I had the chance to look at it in store. Initially, my thought was that it didn't match the photos. Instead of going with a plastic cover where the speaker sound emits from, they used a fabric-like material similar to that found on conventional speakers. Even though I thought it wasn't as attractive as I hoped it would be, the specs seem good for the price. I decided to purchase it to give it a try. I should be getting it tomorrow so I'll try and provide my feedback by this weekend.
One thing I noticed about the unit is that it doesn't have any HDMI inputs or output. All inputs will have to be wired to the TV and then from there a single optical cable can be connected to the soundbar. This isn't a biggy for me, but it will mean more wires and potentially more clutter. Some other things to note is that it has a true wireless sub, no external receiver (unlike the CT550), LED display and bluetooth connectivity (all of which are mentioned in the specs, but good improvements to note over its predecessors)
If anyone has one of these or seen/heard it in person, please provide your thoughts!

Check amazon reviews? 1 review thus far... seems pretty accurate to me given what I've heard in person from the sony ct 550. Poster said ct 260 doesn't sound like reverb but hollow at times - BINGO!! Typical of sony sound bars. More of an amplification effect than really converting and displaying true surround sound audio. I'd give it a 3/5 stars as well. Average at best. Given the price range, sounds comparable to the Polk audio 4000 model that came out some 3 yrs back. You might wanna try the Polk audio 6000, overall good reviews from users and critics alike. Average about 4/5 star rating or higher. Same configuration, no receiver, true wireless sub, direct digital optical out to sound bar. Price wise not worth it unless you really dont care about an extra $150 over the ct 260 or Polk 4000. Sony systems tend to have more apps, remote functions, etc to play with than the competitors at a loss of better audio quality. Sony doesnt have a good processor from hdmi in to hmdi arc out on their receiver brands like the ct 550. Audio is supposedly better with direct connect digital optical out. Sony appears to copy the true sound companies like yahama and polk audio with this config. So it's a give and take - spend the cash and get better audio quality or if you're not an audiofile geek, deal with average sound but more functions and wider range specs. OR wait a couple months and everything price drops anyway near xmas and get the best deal. Think that's what I will do... meantime, will check out the Polk IHT 6000 in-person. Appears Polk audio invented the soundbar back in 2005. So relatively new tech at only 7 yrs old.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HTCT260-Sound-Theater-System/dp/B00945RAQY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348750138&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+ct+260

Sony CT 260
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars I didn't return it September 25, 2012

By K. Benoit

This is the first time that I have tried surround sound with a wireless sub woofer. I am less than impressed. It puts out a little vibration when the volume is cranked way up but other than that I don't even know it is there. For the life of me I can not find where the 300 watts are hidden in this system. They must use a different rating system for calculating watt output. The sound bar gets fairly hot when playing at louder volumes. There is even a warning about overheating, burning yourself, and a automatic shutdown when it gets to hot. It is a big improvement over my Sharp Aquos tv speakers, but definitely not $300 better. The blue tooth works well and connected with several different brand cell phones and devices. Simple to pair and connect the devices and the Sony remote will control volume and song selection. Besides blue tooth you have three options to connect: analog (3.5mm), optical (TOSLINK), and digital coaxial. To control the volume of the sound system I have to use the Sony supplied remote. No HDMI ARC control features. I guess in an attempt to create surround sound from a sound bar they have some sort of echo feature. It doesn't sound like reverb, just a hollow sound at times. One nice feature, it is easy to hear what is being said. Great for the news, football, or anything you need to hear spoken voices.

Conclusion:
I am less than impressed with this purchase. I expected more from the sub woofer and more from the sound bar. I wouldn't call it surround sound. It is more like sound enhancement and volume improvement for TV's with poor factory audio. With that said I am keeping the unit and not returning it. However I feel it is only worth $200. Sony has left me looking for the additional $100 of value in this unit.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-27-2012, 09:05 AM

Liked: 11
Thanks for these reviews. I don't think I'll be considering the CT260 anymore. The lack of HDMI was a shock, I thought it would be carried over like the other Sony soundbars (CT150, CT550). This is a 2.1 channel system unlike the 3.1 channel CT150, another detractor for me.

Not sure what the point of the CT260 is, besides the wireless sub. They really should have announced an updated CT350.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-05-2012, 10:26 AM

There are now more reviews posted at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HTCT260-Sound-Theater-System/product-reviews/B00945RAQY/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

In summary 5 people gave the HTCT260 5 stars, 3 gave it 4 stars and 1 gave it 3 stars.

Edit: Consumer reports now rates this is Recommended.

I had one and at first was not impressed but after adjusting the settings was able to get pretty good sound.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-07-2012, 09:04 AM

Hello there
greetings from France !
can anyone help me and give me an answer to this question , thx !
to make it short I just bought this product and then installed it like a charm (yehaaaa) but ... (there is a but rolleyes.gif) i'v got NO sound coming from the RIGHT side of the sound bar ... so question is quite simple ... as your knowledge are they speakers located to the right side of the bar (when you are in front of it)? in fact sound is very clear BUT only on the extreme LEFT part of the sound bar ... so of course NO stereo or amazing sound effect so far mad.gif
thx for your help ; bye
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Yamaha Yas 201 Front Surround System With Wireless Subwoofer , Sony Htct260 Sound Bar Home Theater System , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread - Htct260 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page