Who is using a Soundbar with a Projector setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-10-2012, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Wytchone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: LaPlace, La.
Posts: 4,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Thinking of going with a sound bar vs a traditional 5.1 setup to be used with my projector.

Im hoping someone else is doing this now and can tell if if they love, like or hate it. What brand you are using, what brand do you think is the best. Its my media room so on this part i will have a budget of about $450. As it stands im thinking about the Yamaha YHT-S400BL but that was found on my first search. I am open to other suggestions.

My room is square 11.5' x 22' but I will be sitting about 8 or 9 feet max back from the screen. I envison the sound bar to be under my screen right at ear level.
Wytchone is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 09-14-2012, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have used soundbars with my projectors and they have worked great,,, just get a bar that has HDMI inputs and you will be fine,,,, I always used the Sony CT soundbars.

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 09-14-2012, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jim McC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oconomowoc, WI.
Posts: 5,912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I don't use one with my projector, but why do you want to? I would rather use a pair of bookshelf speakers than a soundbar.
Jim McC is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 09-14-2012, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Wytchone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: LaPlace, La.
Posts: 4,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

I have used soundbars with my projectors and they have worked great,,, just get a bar that has HDMI inputs and you will be fine,,,, I always used the Sony CT soundbars.
Cheers
Davyo
Thanks Davyo. I will be using a Sony soundbar for the first time. I hope a wireless subwoofer will be nice still being wireless I can move it quickly smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

I don't use one with my projector, but why do you want to? I would rather use a pair of bookshelf speakers than a soundbar.

See my sig Jim. I flooded. Since it(the flood) has never happend before and might happen again. I want a way to remove items out of my room quickly.The room is mostly made of glass so limted mounting options. Sound bar I can mount with no issues.

I lost all my bookshelf speakers and subwoofer. This is my attempt to make it easy to save items or I would go back to my 5.1 setup.
Wytchone is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 09-21-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Droid6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 1,105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
HERE is a link to my sound-bar/projector setup. This setup would fit your budget if you just got the sound-bar and a receiver and left out the sub woofer. Without a sub-woofer this bar will still be bassier than the plastic sound-bars with sub-woofers that are most recommended here. You can add a sub at your leisure if you see fit.
Droid6 is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 09-21-2012, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Wytchone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: LaPlace, La.
Posts: 4,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post

HERE is a link to my sound-bar/projector setup. This setup would fit your budget if you just got the sound-bar and a receiver and left out the sub woofer. Without a sub-woofer this bar will still be bassier than the plastic sound-bars with sub-woofers that are most recommended here. You can add a sub at your leisure if you see fit.

The more I read about this the more I like. Wish is was HDMI for ease of movement. Still I can get it up higher then say foot of the gound easy.

I think you may have sold me on this. I did save my 7.1 receiver so I can get the base for this also.
Thanks! cool.gif
Wytchone is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 09-21-2012, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ambesolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,659
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

I have used soundbars with my projectors and they have worked great,,, just get a bar that has HDMI inputs and you will be fine,,,, I always used the Sony CT soundbars.
Cheers
Davyo
Thanks Davyo. I will be using a Sony soundbar for the first time. I hope a wireless subwoofer will be nice still being wireless I can move it quickly smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

I don't use one with my projector, but why do you want to? I would rather use a pair of bookshelf speakers than a soundbar.

See my sig Jim. I flooded. Since it(the flood) has never happend before and might happen again. I want a way to remove items out of my room quickly.The room is mostly made of glass so limted mounting options. Sound bar I can mount with no issues.

I lost all my bookshelf speakers and subwoofer. This is my attempt to make it easy to save items or I would go back to my 5.1 setup.

I think I'd invest in some basement waterproofing if you're afraid of it happening again.
ambesolman is online now  
post #8 of 10 Old 09-22-2012, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Wytchone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: LaPlace, La.
Posts: 4,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

I think I'd invest in some basement waterproofing if you're afraid of it happening again.

Best I can do is do lay tile. Issue is till we get the Corp of Enginners report, we have no idea if it will happen again. It just has never happend before.
Wytchone is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 09-22-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zoey67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: cloud9
Posts: 2,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I have a YSP 5100 with a velodyne cht-10 and Epson 1080UB/100" electric. Very happy with it, I've upgraded from ysp3000 and ysp1100 and they were also excellent. Pls don't listen to that advise of using bookshelf, that makes no sense unless you have at least 5 but it's not worth the hassle. Yamaha sound bars are awesome, I don't know how they do it but every single person who has been to my home tell me they can't believe the sound is coming from 1 speaker. And don't worry about output, it can play very loud and clean. I've had very good 5.1 systems with a denon 3805 with mid level and high level Kef speakers and Hsu subs VTF 2.3 and ULS 15 and what I have now is no compromise to what I've in the past NO sir ree.

The 5100 is very long so it I had to put it on top of my Kathy Ireland ent center which has 31" opening with a cover that can house most sound bars so I used that when I had the 1100 and 3000 and people could not see the speaker so they were like where is the sound coming from. Oh, and my room is 23x13x8 with openings to a kitchen and dining room to the left that you can't see.

zoey67 is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 09-24-2012, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Wytchone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: LaPlace, La.
Posts: 4,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

I have a YSP 5100 with a velodyne cht-10 and Epson 1080UB/100" electric. Very happy with it, I've upgraded from ysp3000 and ysp1100 and they were also excellent. Pls don't listen to that advise of using bookshelf, that makes no sense unless you have at least 5 but it's not worth the hassle. Yamaha sound bars are awesome, I don't know how they do it but every single person who has been to my home tell me they can't believe the sound is coming from 1 speaker. And don't worry about output, it can play very loud and clean. I've had very good 5.1 systems with a denon 3805 with mid level and high level Kef speakers and Hsu subs VTF 2.3 and ULS 15 and what I have now is no compromise to what I've in the past NO sir ree.
The 5100 is very long so it I had to put it on top of my Kathy Ireland ent center which has 31" opening with a cover that can house most sound bars so I used that when I had the 1100 and 3000 and people could not see the speaker so they were like where is the sound coming from. Oh, and my room is 23x13x8 with openings to a kitchen and dining room to the left that you can't see.
Thanks Zoey! You are one of the few people who have said what amazing sound you can get out of a bar. Of course the one you list is pricey but it does give me hope smile.gif
Wytchone is offline  
Reply Soundbars



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off