Will Polk surroundbar 3000 work or is there a better option? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-12-2012, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Getting a new place and deciding on some stuff for the new living room.

As far as my TV, I already decided on the LG 47LM7600. Wanting to get a soundbar to go along with it. My setup will for sure include the TV, a bluray player (thinking the LG BP620, but open to any other suggestions), a Charter Cable DVR box, and most likely my XBOX 360.

After scouring through all the threads I could, and using the search function I am still a bit apprehensive when it comes to the Soundbars. I am by no means an audiophile so really I'm sure any suggestions would sound great to me. After looking all over I decided that the Polk Surroundbar 3000 may be my solution. I like the easiness that it appears to have when it comes to installation and I've heard and owned Polk speakers before. Heard good things about the brand, etc.

My concern is whether or not there are better soundbar options out there at the $300 price point. I can get the 3000 for $271.00.
I also want to make sure that the sound bar will work with all of the different things that I will be using on the tv. For example, I don't want the soundbar to work for normal TV watching, but not work for the bluray player or the xbox. I realize some soundbars have HDMI ports on them so you can plug all of the devices into it first, and then connect the soundbar to the TV. My biggest concern is having something that won't work with all of my devices.

I just want to be sure that this is a good choice for my needs, and that there isnt a better option out there for my situation and at my price point. ($300 or less)

Thank you in advance!

Specs on the TV, if those are necessary:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-dqbT3qwK3Nv/p_68947L7600/LG-47LM7600.html

Specs for the Polk Surroundbar 3000:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107SB3KIHT/Polk-Audio-SurroundBar-3000-Instant-Home-Theater.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-14-2012, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #3 of 7 Old 09-14-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Hi Ryan, got your PM so I'll take a stab at this. smile.gif

The Polk bar will certainly work with your source devices. You would connect them to the TV, connect an optical cable from the TV to the soundbar, and set your audio output to PCM (the bar will only accept PCM).

Whether the Polk bar is the best choice, I cannot say as I've never heard one. It may do a fine job taking 2 ch. stereo and applying its DSP to the signal. If it were me though, I'd be inclined to look at soundbars that can process DD5.1 and DTS at a minimum with DolbyTruHD and DTS-MA processing being a bonus, in order to take advantage of Blu-ray audio.

If you have a big box store or other place where you can listen to some soundbars, that would likely help you determine what type of sound you enjoy the most. Also read through some of the threads here on the Sony CT150 and the CT550W. Panasonic and LG soundbars may be worth considering as well.

Your source devices are pretty straight forward. Finding a bar that has at least one HDMI input for your Blu-ray would be good. Bars like the Sony with three HDMI inputs plus digital and analog can handle it all.

Perhaps other members will stop by and have additional suggestions for you.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-14-2012, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Hi Ryan, got your PM so I'll take a stab at this. smile.gif
The Polk bar will certainly work with your source devices. You would connect them to the TV, connect an optical cable from the TV to the soundbar, and set your audio output to PCM (the bar will only accept PCM).
Whether the Polk bar is the best choice, I cannot say as I've never heard one. It may do a fine job taking 2 ch. stereo and applying its DSP to the signal. If it were me though, I'd be inclined to look at soundbars that can process DD5.1 and DTS at a minimum with DolbyTruHD and DTS-MA processing being a bonus, in order to take advantage of Blu-ray audio.
If you have a big box store or other place where you can listen to some soundbars, that would likely help you determine what type of sound you enjoy the most. Also read through some of the threads here on the Sony CT150 and the CT550W. Panasonic and LG soundbars may be worth considering as well.
Your source devices are pretty straight forward. Finding a bar that has at least one HDMI input for your Blu-ray would be good. Bars like the Sony with three HDMI inputs plus digital and analog can handle it all.
Perhaps other members will stop by and have additional suggestions for you.

Thank you, I'll take a look those ones you suggested. I'm by no means an audiophile, so im sure sure all options would sound great to me. If those Sony's are better as far as the specs and options available I'll go with one of those.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-15-2012, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

I'm liking what i'm reading on here and online from the sony ct550. It's also available for under $300, so i'm thinking it may be what I end up getting.

one other issue i have. My xbox is one of the older versions that doesnt have HDMI. Just the 6 colored cables to hook it to the tv. Will that give me any issues with this sony ct550, or any other soundbar?

-I may end up just leaving the xbox hooked up to my older 32" toshiba so it's not that big of a deal either way, just wondering if there would be any problems.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-15-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
I don't know anything about an Xbox (old or new), but if it has component video and your TV has component input (most still do), you can connect video directly to the TV. You have a choice on audio. You can connect the L/R RCAs to the TV and then output over ARC or optical to a soundbar. That would be the simplest. Or, you can connect audio directly to a soundbar as long as it has analog input, although that means changing inputs on both TV and soundbar when you want to use the Xbox.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-15-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

I don't know anything about an Xbox (old or new), but if it has component video and your TV has component input (most still do), you can connect video directly to the TV. You have a choice on audio. You can connect the L/R RCAs to the TV and then output over ARC or optical to a soundbar. That would be the simplest. Or, you can connect audio directly to a soundbar as long as it has analog input, although that means changing inputs on both TV and soundbar when you want to use the Xbox.

Ok, great. Doesn't sound like it'll be an issue at all then, great.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page