Why are unpowered soundbars so expensive?! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-17-2012, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've noticed a few of the unpowered soundbars are really expensive. They don't have amps, not sure if they have 3d processing electronics (not sure how they would do that with an already amplified signal), I mean they seem to be high quality, but they kind of just look like 3 speakers connected together to me!

Whats the main argument? Does it sound so much better having an AVR and an unpowered soundbar than a good quality all in one unit?

Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-18-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 368
I assume you're referring to the ones which cost about $2500 or more. You're primarily paying for the convenience of them physically fitting under your TV, with only slightly better sound than you'll get from the smaller powered soundbars.

Small speakers that are close together simply can't provide the stereo separation, volume or the low frequencies which are available from larger standalone speakers with significantly lower system prices.

Selden
post #3 of 4 Old 09-18-2012, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Polk, BW, Golden Ear, etc seem to offer these >$1500 un powered sound bars. I'm sure they're good quality and all that. Just wonder if there's any meaningful value to them or if they're just the usual audio hoodoo where people equate value with cost!
post #4 of 4 Old 09-26-2012, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wolfereeno, I've often wondered the exact same thing. I was interested in Atlantic Technology's FS-5000 passive soundbar. It sports two 4.5-inch drivers and one tweeter for each of three channels. But at $1700? For that kind of cash, I could buy three ZVOX 580 powered soundbars (a far more flexible item in my view) and have $200 left over. I also prefer using a soundbar for casual TV viewing, so I can save my 5.1-channel system for more serious uses (e.g., movies).
I suppose the FS-5000 might look spiffier under someone's wall-mounted 50-inch screen, however.....
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Atlantic Technology Fs 5000 Glb Home Theater Soundbar , Zvox 580 Low Profile Single Cabinet Surround Sound System With Optical And Coaxial Digital Inputs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page