Bose Solo will not work on Sharp TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-21-2012, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone using the new Bose Solo soundbar on a Sharp Aquos LCD TV?

I have a new Bose Solo and have attempted to connect it using the optical output jack on the rear of the Sharp Aquos TV (LC40D78UN) and it will not work.

After reviewing all the settings on the tv, contacting Sharp and Bose (Bose was really helpful by the way - kudo for them) I have gone to the alternative method of connecting the Solo directly to each device. Which in this case is a Directv receiver and a Blu-Ray player.

This method uses more cabling, but accomplishes the goal of getting sound to the Bose Solo. Sharp told me that a sound bar will not work on the audio output (optical connector) on the rear of the tv due to some kind of patent or copyright deal which I have never heard of. The manual for the TV clearly says I can hook up an Audio device to this audio output jack.

I would like to know why the TV is not transferring the digital audio signal from each device (both the Directv receiver and the Blu-Ray player are connected to HDMI inputs on the rear of the Sharp TV) through the TV to its' audio output jack, which as stated earlier is an optical type connector.

I could have connected the Bose Solo to the RCA (red/white) analog output on the Sharp TV and it would work that way.

Thanks for any replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-21-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by calman29 View Post

Sharp told me that a sound bar will not work on the audio output (optical connector) on the rear of the tv due to some kind of patent or copyright deal which I have never heard of. The manual for the TV clearly says I can hook up an Audio device to this audio output jack.

I ran into this recently when assisting someone else with a Sharp TV and audio issues. Look again at your TV owner's manual on page 11 where it shows audio output connections and see the note next to *5.
Quote:
*5 Digital audio can only be output when receiving a digital broadcast.

What that means is that it only works with the TV's internal tuner. To output audio from anything else you have to use the R/L analog output.

Most HDTVs do the same thing in a different way. They limit optical output to 2 ch. stereo except for signals received from the tuner which will go out as 5.1.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-21-2012, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thank You Possumgirl for your clear explanation. I appreciate the explanation. You did a much better job of explaining the situation than did the Tech at Sharp Aquos did when I contacted them. I remember reading that note *5, just did not understand it or think it applied. The Sharp Technician was trying to tell me something about hooking up a digital antenna to the TV which I did not see as relevant. Now it does. You know, I saw a demonstration of this Bose Solo with it connected to a Sharp HDTV so I thought it would work for me. The optical cable glows a bright red coming out of the device (Blu-Ray player), but I only have a very dim red glow coming out of the rear of the TV. I thought there was a transfer issue of the digital signal internally on the TV.

By the way, if you run across any Bose Solo questions, it can be connected to two devices at the same time. However, the Bose Solo must be turned off, then device #1 that was feeding it a digital signal, then turn on device #2 and allow it to start before turning on the Bose Solo. The tech at Bose said he did not think it would work, but to try anyway. I have two devices connected to the Solo, one by optical connector, the other by digital coax (RCA type) connector. It is the only way for me me to get digital audio to the Bose Solo.

Thank you for the reply.
post #4 of 10 Old 09-21-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad to help. The issue is the way Sharp implemented the DRM (copyright) limitation. The problem would exist no matter what external audio system you connected, so it's not just the Bose. Good thing the Bose has enough inputs to handle your needs. smile.gif
post #5 of 10 Old 10-21-2012, 02:36 PM

I have a 52" Sharp Aquos LED and I connected my Polk 4000 to the audio output jack that you are talking about and it does work.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-25-2012, 04:47 PM

I have a SHARP LC-26SV490U. It does not have an Optical Output terminal, instead it has a digital audio output terminal that takes a coaxial cable. WILL THAT WORK WITH THE BOSE SOLO BEFORE I BUY IT?
post #7 of 10 Old 11-25-2012, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyiervolino View Post

I have a SHARP LC-26SV490U. It does not have an Optical Output terminal, instead it has a digital audio output terminal that takes a coaxial cable. WILL THAT WORK WITH THE BOSE SOLO BEFORE I BUY IT?

What are your sources? If you use OTA for TV viewing, then it probably will work. If you have source devices that are connected to the TV via HDMI, it probably won't.

See page 33 of your owner's manual.
Quote:
SPDIF Type
Select the type of digital audio output. The
default setting is PCM.
• OFF: Disables digital audio output.
• PCM: Outputs audio to PCM type

• Dolby Digital: Outputs audio to Dolby
Digital type if the source supports Doiby
digital audio.

NOTE
SPDIF Type is only available when the
input source is TV and your TV is receiving
a DTV signal.

Suggest you contact Sharp and ask if that means the digital audio out only works for OTA. Could be similar to the issue the OP had, or it could be entirely different with your model.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-30-2013, 11:26 AM

Hi, I just joined after reading this thread.  I was so excited after listening to the BOSE SOLO in the Best Buy store, could not wait to hook it up to my wall-mounted SHARP AQUOS 42 in HDTV... Darn it... Same thing, the optical cable transmits only the digital cable signal.  The DVD Player and the PS3 , although also using the HDMI hookup on the AQUOS, do not get their sound transmitted through the BOSE Solo.  I did like calman did, I hooked up the L/R cables directly from the DVD player output to the Solo, and the sound came through alright.  Did not know about the order #1 then #2 etc though.   I am seriously disappointed with my purchase of the BOSE SOLO, I was debating this vs a 5-speaker home theater, but I have a full home theater set that way in the basement so I did not see the need for two. 

OK my question is then, perhaps I can move the 42 "AQUOS (it's alread 5 years old or more...) elsewhere and get a new TV that will work with Bose SOLO... So...which TVs actually work fine with the Solo? (on all channels)?

Samsung?   LG ?  Sony?  Panasonic?  

Hard for me to return the solo, I live in Canada and bought it in the USA and   I dont plan on going back for a while.  I guess I could get a small 32 for the upstairs bedroom, plant the dope  Solo uder it there, and get my 2nd 5 speaker home theater in the family room...

(PS : the surround sound of the AQUOS was actually quite good, and the solo only adds clarity to dialogue, have not tested it with a Blue ray cuz the damn thing wont play blue ray...  still reeling from this...  The Best Buy display is set-up to impress a lot more than what you will experience at home. The difference at home is not as spectacular...  in fact, Bose solo is only mean for small crappy TVs... as big sets have good speakers  to begin with. The only good place for the bose solo would be in a student room with a small TV and no room for the home theater set-up)

Thanks for the replies...

post #9 of 10 Old 12-31-2013, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Petpad, I don't have a Bose Solo but from reading this thread it seems the problem is mostly with Sharp, rather than Bose or its product.  I have a Panasonic plasma and have the DVD player and STB connected via hdmi. I run the optical output to my Yamaha soundbar and it will play the signal from any of my inputs to the tv albeit in 2-ch.  Would a simple AV receiver with optical output solve your problem rather than a new TV? This would bypass the Sharp limitation of optical digital out only.

post #10 of 10 Old 01-01-2014, 11:10 AM

Thanks Zcars, I will explore that solution among others.  indeed I wont buy a new TV just for this, as the AQUOS is quite a good product to begin with.  SHARP has already contacted me with a note to call a tech directly, and we will discuss options such as what you suggested. Happy New Year

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page