Subwoofer - wireless or wired? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 09-29-2012, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the process of shopping for a sound bar and I'm not sure weather to look at units with wired or wireless subs. What are the pros and cons of each?? My budget is pretty flexible, but I'm not looking to get something super high end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-29-2012, 05:09 PM

Liked: 24
Wireless subs are simply a convenience. There's no advantage other than you don't have to run an audio wire to the sub, though it still needs power, so not completely wireless. If you need that advantage then it becomes important, but if not, and you can run a physical wire, you might get more sub for the money without a wireless feature.

The better wireless subs, like the Def Tech for example, sound great wired or wireless.
post #3 of 18 Old 09-29-2012, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by has7738 View Post

Wireless subs are simply a convenience. There's no advantage other than you don't have to run an audio wire to the sub, though it still needs power, so not completely wireless. If you need that advantage then it becomes important, but if not, and you can run a physical wire, you might get more sub for the money without a wireless feature.
The better wireless subs, like the Def Tech for example, sound great wired or wireless.

I don't necessarily need the mobility, so a wired sub would work for me. Can anyone recommend some good units that have a wired sub?
post #4 of 18 Old 09-29-2012, 11:11 PM

Liked: 24
The problem here is you're asking for a "good soundbar". Not likely to get much on that here. I did heard the Definitive Technology Solo Cinema XTR system at CEDIA, it was one of the better ones, comes with a wireless sub, but does a lot more that must "speak", it actually could replace your AVR. The Golden Ear soundbar (sorry, don't recall the name/model) was also quite good, but passive, and you have to add your own sub, wired or not. But usually when people say soundbar they are also saying "cheap", and that's where the trouble begins.
post #5 of 18 Old 09-30-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Although not needed for the OP but just FYI. There are many wireless systems you can use to make any subwoofer wireless. A better way to go if there is a particular sub that fits your needs.
post #6 of 18 Old 09-30-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummer43 View Post

I'm in the process of shopping for a sound bar and I'm not sure weather to look at units with wired or wireless subs. What are the pros and cons of each?? My budget is pretty flexible, but I'm not looking to get something super high end.

What is your "flexible budget" range?? A lot of the systems at def tech will run a grand up to two grand for their best sound bar/wireless sub. What are your physical constraints - size of room, type of tele you have, and are you one of those pixel peepers or audiophiles or just a regular folk looking for above average sound over tv speakers?? As you can see everyone's expectations are different. I think for the average listener, 3-4 hundred buck range is good enuff for an average size bedroom or small sitting room like 10x15 or 10x12.

For example, I saw the samsung sound bar HW-E450, averaged priced and didnt expect much of it at Sears. The sales rep was a dance teacher into hip hop music so we decided to try it out. Used his iphone bluetooth to wirelessly connect to the unit. Connection was really fast within 3-4 seconds max. Played MJ music. Damn, was I wrong. This little nifty unit blew away my skeptical expectations. Using his ipod we turned the unit to it's max. We could hardly hear each other talk and almost to the point of shouting. I will admit at it's upper range the sound becomes a bit muffled at max volume but at low to mid range which you would listen to music or tv majority of time it blows away the competition in its price point and above. In fact the sales rep from 50 ft away told us to turn it down cause he couldnt hear himself talking to his customer. We also tried the samsung HW-E550. The upper range wasnt as loud as the E450 and didnt get muffled at max volume but for 90 bucks more, it wasnt really worth it. Plus it boasts "wireless" yet the all the connectors were on the sub so wireless was limited to how long your cables are, go figure... *rolls eyes*. Anyway, I was more than surprised to see the E450 the top seller on amazon.com under sound bars. Now I can see why... only I didnt like about the E450 was lack of hdmi inputs (only has one in and one arc out). The E550 has 2 hdmi in and 1 arc out BUT again, it sucks to have the connectors on the sub and not the sound bar itself like last year's D550 models.

Here's a good article on what to look for in a sound bar from CNET. Pretty much true. It's tough to find everything in an averaged priced sound bar in the market right now. I find the upper end ones arent worth it unless you have money to burn to spend $1500-$2000 on some gizmo priced more than most peep's hdtv's.

From CNET: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57432730-221/read-this-before-you-buy-a-sound-bar/

Read this before you buy a sound bar. Sound bars are great if you want to upgrade from your TV's built-in speakers, but many models have some basic flaws that aren't obvious before you set them up. Click link for rest of article...
post #7 of 18 Old 09-30-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznnorth View Post

What is your "flexible budget" range?? A lot of the systems at def tech will run a grand up to two grand for their best sound bar/wireless sub. What are your physical constraints - size of room, type of tele you have, and are you one of those pixel peepers or audiophiles or just a regular folk looking for above average sound over tv speakers?? As you can see everyone's expectations are different. I think for the average listener, 3-4 hundred buck range is good enuff for an average size bedroom or small sitting room like 10x15 or 10x12.
For example, I saw the samsung sound bar HW-E450, averaged priced and didnt expect much of it at Sears. The sales rep was a dance teacher into hip hop music so we decided to try it out. Used his iphone bluetooth to wirelessly connect to the unit. Connection was really fast within 3-4 seconds max. Played MJ music. Damn, was I wrong. This little nifty unit blew away my skeptical expectations. Using his ipod we turned the unit to it's max. We could hardly hear each other talk and almost to the point of shouting. I will admit at it's upper range the sound becomes a bit muffled at max volume but at low to mid range which you would listen to music or tv majority of time it blows away the competition in its price point and above. In fact the sales rep from 50 ft away told us to turn it down cause he couldnt hear himself talking to his customer. We also tried the samsung HW-E550. The upper range wasnt as loud as the E450 and didnt get muffled at max volume but for 90 bucks more, it wasnt really worth it. Plus it boasts "wireless" yet the all the connectors were on the sub so wireless was limited to how long your cables are, go figure... *rolls eyes*. Anyway, I was more than surprised to see the E450 the top seller on amazon.com under sound bars. Now I can see why... only I didnt like about the E450 was lack of hdmi inputs (only has one in and one arc out). The E550 has 2 hdmi in and 1 arc out BUT again, it sucks to have the connectors on the sub and not the sound bar itself like last year's D550 models.
Here's a good article on what to look for in a sound bar from CNET. Pretty much true. It's tough to find everything in an averaged priced sound bar in the market right now. I find the upper end ones arent worth it unless you have money to burn to spend $1500-$2000 on some gizmo priced more than most peep's hdtv's.

From CNET: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57432730-221/read-this-before-you-buy-a-sound-bar/
Read this before you buy a sound bar. Sound bars are great if you want to upgrade from your TV's built-in speakers, but many models have some basic flaws that aren't obvious before you set them up. Click link for rest of article...

I'm not an audiophile by any means and I'm just looking to upgrade sound. I guess I'd be willing to spend up to 1k if it got me a nice unit, but it sounds like I don't need to spend that much for decent sound. I'm not going to sit and analyze it every time I watch tv or a movie, I just want clear sound with some nice bass. I have a 52" Samsung LCD at the moment and the room is approximately 15 x 12. Thanks for the link, I'll definitely check it out.
post #8 of 18 Old 09-30-2012, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by has7738 View Post

The problem here is you're asking for a "good soundbar". Not likely to get much on that here. I did heard the Definitive Technology Solo Cinema XTR system at CEDIA, it was one of the better ones, comes with a wireless sub, but does a lot more that must "speak", it actually could replace your AVR. The Golden Ear soundbar (sorry, don't recall the name/model) was also quite good, but passive, and you have to add your own sub, wired or not. But usually when people say soundbar they are also saying "cheap", and that's where the trouble begins.

I understand that everyone has their own opinions. I'm just wondering if there are any particular units that people consistently say are good. I am considering the Sony CT-350, and I'd like to see what the new Yamaha YAS-201 is like when it comes out. I don't need to spend a ton of money because I'm not an audiophile. I'm just looking for clear sound and some good bass.
post #9 of 18 Old 09-30-2012, 12:51 PM

^^^
Sucks that the Sony CT 350 is 2 yrs old which means certain tech is out of date. Blue tooth is not included nor built in. Rather it has the old sony digital media port which supported adapters for ipod/iphone and bluetooth (not included and discontinued). Certain hdmi products is not supported via the hdmi passthru (ie. certain cable boxes are not compatible with CT 350 hdmi pass thru based on tech 2 yrs ago). Current sony products are crap in the soundbar area like the CT550w, CT260, etc. Sony is declining in the electronic area to its competitors these days... sad.
post #10 of 18 Old 09-30-2012, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

^^^
Sucks that the Sony CT 350 is 2 yrs old which means certain tech is out of date. Blue tooth is not included nor built in. Rather it has the old sony digital media port which supported adapters for ipod/iphone and bluetooth (not included and discontinued). Certain hdmi products is not supported via the hdmi passthru (ie. certain cable boxes are not compatible with CT 350 hdmi pass thru based on tech 2 yrs ago). Current sony products are crap in the soundbar area like the CT550w, CT260, etc. Sony is declining in the electronic area to its competitors these days... sad.

I didn't realize that the CT 350 was discontinued. I'm considering looking at the new Yamaha units. What's the word on the quality of Yamaha products?
post #11 of 18 Old 10-01-2012, 05:19 AM

Quote:

I didn't realize that the CT 350 was discontinued. I'm considering looking at the new Yamaha units. What's the word on the quality of Yamaha products?

Great company, long history but like any product you pay for what you get esp. in the sound bar arena. Right now they have the low end product in YAS-101. People seem to rave about it but I disagree. Listened to it in several chain retailers like Best Buy, futureshop. Average to mediocre imo and lacks the subwoofer. Interesting, they have a connection for an external subwoofer but doesnt include it. Hmmm, basically means yamaha wants you to spend extra dough to BUY one from them. Well, that sucks.. means you essentially more than double your cost. That's a "next" for me. TBH, most sound bars just amplify the tv audio signal and not really convert it to a better signal from the typical hollow sound you get out of the box. You pay for that unfortunately... so far the only low end product imo that actually converts the signal is the samsung HW-E450 and E550. I would buy the E450 but lacks hdmi inputs (argh... 1 hdmi in and 1 hdmi arc out). I need at least 2 hdmi in. E550 has the hdmi connects at 2 but is not true wireless (all connects are on the subwoofer instead of the soundbar which sucks). The unit lacks bass even at max settings which also sucks. Otherwise for mid-low end product these 2 units would be good enuff for a 10x10 or 12x15 size room.

Yas-101
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/digital-sound-projector/yas-101/?mode=model

Samsung HW-E550
http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/tv-video/home-entertainment/home-entertainment-systems/HW-E550/ZC?pid=ca_homeentertainmenttype_keyvisual3_hw-e550_20120921

Samsung HW-E450
http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/tv-video/home-entertainment/home-entertainment-systems/HW-E450/ZC

This is the yamaha everyone is waiting for, the YAS-201. Assumed to be released in fall (november) sometime.
Suggested price 449 usd. Basically looks like the YAS-101 plus a 150 buck subwoofer. Big wow, yaawwwn.. lol. Hopefully they improved on the sound bar and not just repackage it with a sub. Worth a listening to when it arrives.

YAS-201
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/digital-sound-projector/yas-201_black_u/?mode=model

Keep in mind all these are just list prices. So far, I've seen anywhere from 75-100+ dollars less on each.
post #12 of 18 Old 10-01-2012, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Great company, long history but like any product you pay for what you get esp. in the sound bar arena. Right now they have the low end product in YAS-101. People seem to rave about it but I disagree. Listened to it in several chain retailers like Best Buy, futureshop. Average to mediocre imo and lacks the subwoofer. Interesting, they have a connection for an external subwoofer but doesnt include it. Hmmm, basically means yamaha wants you to spend extra dough to BUY one from them. Well, that sucks.. means you essentially more than double your cost. That's a "next" for me. TBH, most sound bars just amplify the tv audio signal and not really convert it to a better signal from the typical hollow sound you get out of the box. You pay for that unfortunately... so far the only low end product imo that actually converts the signal is the samsung HW-E450 and E550. I would buy the E450 but lacks hdmi inputs (argh... 1 hdmi in and 1 hdmi arc out). I need at least 2 hdmi in. E550 has the hdmi connects at 2 but is not true wireless (all connects are on the subwoofer instead of the soundbar which sucks). The unit lacks bass even at max settings which also sucks. Otherwise for mid-low end product these 2 units would be good enuff for a 10x10 or 12x15 size room.
Yas-101
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/digital-sound-projector/yas-101/?mode=model

Samsung HW-E550
http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/tv-video/home-entertainment/home-entertainment-systems/HW-E550/ZC?pid=ca_homeentertainmenttype_keyvisual3_hw-e550_20120921

Samsung HW-E450
http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/tv-video/home-entertainment/home-entertainment-systems/HW-E450/ZC

This is the yamaha everyone is waiting for, the YAS-201. Assumed to be released in fall (november) sometime.
Suggested price 449 usd. Basically looks like the YAS-101 plus a 150 buck subwoofer. Big wow, yaawwwn.. lol. Hopefully they improved on the sound bar and not just repackage it with a sub. Worth a listening to when it arrives.
YAS-201
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/digital-sound-projector/yas-201_black_u/?mode=model

Keep in mind all these are just list prices. So far, I've seen anywhere from 75-100+ dollars less on each.

Nice, thanks for the info. At this point I'm thinking of going with the YAS-201.
post #13 of 18 Old 10-01-2012, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

^^^

Any recommendations?
post #14 of 18 Old 10-01-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:

Any recommendations?

You mentioned Yamaha. I'm game with them. My very first puter speaker/bass system was with them. Excellent reliability unlike samsung (shhhh...just sayin). Good choice, if you're willing to spend extra dough to get a true mid-level sound bar. My recommendation? Try the mid-level Yamaha YSP-2200 Digital Sound Projector (Black) priced at $799 on amazon. For that extra 3-4 hundred more it brings you to a whole new level. I'm sure with proper comparative shopping you can get it for an extra $100-$150 less than amazon.

Yamaha web site YSP-2200 sound bar projector
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/digital-sound-projector/ysp-2200/?mode=model

Amazon - YSP-2200.
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YSP-2200-Digital-Sound-Projector/dp/B004E10JZW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1349132420&sr=8-5&keywords=YAMAHA+SOUND+BAR

Click the amazon link and read all about it. Better than me just reposting it here. wink.gif
post #15 of 18 Old 10-01-2012, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You mentioned Yamaha. I'm game with them. My very first puter speaker/bass system was with them. Excellent reliability unlike samsung (shhhh...just sayin). Good choice, if you're willing to spend extra dough to get a true mid-level sound bar. My recommendation? Try the mid-level Yamaha YSP-2200 Digital Sound Projector (Black) priced at $799 on amazon. For that extra 3-4 hundred more it brings you to a whole new level. I'm sure with proper comparative shopping you can get it for an extra $100-$150 less than amazon.
Yamaha web site YSP-2200 sound bar projector
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/digital-sound-projector/ysp-2200/?mode=model
Amazon - YSP-2200.
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YSP-2200-Digital-Sound-Projector/dp/B004E10JZW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1349132420&sr=8-5&keywords=YAMAHA+SOUND+BAR

Click the amazon link and read all about it. Better than me just reposting it here. wink.gif

Thanks I'll check that one out!
post #16 of 18 Old 10-03-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:

Thanks I'll check that one out!

Ok, I have to change my mind once again! LOL. Went into a large audio shop and tried every friggin sound bar they have from low level, mid's and high priced few grand models as well. From Polk audio, panasonic, sony, samsung, yamaha, harman kardon, etc. The BEST overall soundbar was the Bose® CineMate® 1 SR Digital Home Theater Speaker System, bar none!! Gave the best clarity, distinctive notes in treble and base levels where you can actually seperate the notes and sounds as if it feels like from different sources giving an appearance of a 5.1 system (though it's not). You have to listen to it in-person. The unassuming sub woofer and it's physically light appearance is a bonus imo. So for a good mid-level check out the Bose cinemate. Downfall is the price at about 1.5 grand. Should be cheaper imo as you can get a good mid 5.1 or 7.1 channel system for that cost. They also have cheaper cinemate versions you might wanna check out at the local chain store as well

Bose® CineMate® 1 SR Digital Home Theater Speaker System
by Bose

http://www.amazon.com/CineMate%C2%AE-Digital-Theater-Speaker-System/dp/B005OB1TU0/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349282889&sr=1-4&keywords=bose+cinemate

Other cinemate series (if you dont care to attach every hdmi/digi optical chord into a sound bar or subwoofer), lol.

Bose® CineMate® Series II Digital Home Theater Speaker System
by Bose

http://www.amazon.com/CineMate%C2%AE-Digital-Theater-Speaker-System/dp/B002KY2OU8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349283121&sr=1-1&keywords=bose+cinemate

Bose® CineMate® GS Series II Digital Home Theater Speaker System
by Bose

http://www.amazon.com/CineMate%C2%AE-Digital-Theater-Speaker-System/dp/B002MXWKAG/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349283121&sr=1-3&keywords=bose+cinemate
post #17 of 18 Old 10-05-2012, 11:02 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I just came across this thread, and I don't think you got a good, specific answer to your original question.

Inexpensive soundbars (say, under $1000) typically have small speakers in the bar. One reason for this is that they figure you're likely to have it sit on a TV stand (rather than wall-mount it) so it has to be short enough to not block the IR receptor for the TV's remote. With those speakers being small, the sub needs to pick up the frequency load at a higher frequency than it would if you had a more typical multi-speaker surround system.

When the sub emits those higher frequencies (say, over 100 Hz) you can locate it spatially (i.e. you can hear where it's located) thus you need to locate it close to the soundbar. So there's no good reason to have a wireless sub with a lower-cost soundbar. And there's a good reason not to - often folks have a problem where from time to time the wireless connection gets moody and decides not to pair when you turn it on (my Polk 6000 used to do this when I still had it).

What I've said above doesn't apply to expensive soundbars with larger speakers in the bar (think Definitive Technology or maybe the new Yamaha 3300/4300).

Ted

PS: For movies I second the recommendation for the Yamaha 2200 - I'm very happy with mine.
post #18 of 18 Old 10-19-2013, 07:15 AM

Liked: 11
I know this is an old thread and most likely won't help the OP at this point, but for the sake of others I highly recommend ZVOX if you are looking for an excellent sounding Soundbar. I haven't heard anything that comes close. The ZVOX 555 is excellent, haven't tried their newer 580 model. I especially like that you can program the Soundbar volume control to work with any remote. Nice if you don't have a universal remote and just want to use your TV remote to control the volume. It does lack an hdmi input however, only optical and RCA.

AVerMedia AVerTVHDÂ MCE A180 & MSI Theater 550Pro PCI Tuners
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page