Sound issue with Panasonic SC-HTB550 soundbar and Panasonic TC-L47E50 tv - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-04-2012, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First time posting so if I'm not doing something right or I'm posting in the wrong area, please let me know. I have a Panasonic SC-HTB550 Soundbar, Panasonic TC-L47E50 tv, Verizon Cablebox (Cisco, not sure of the model #), and a newer generation slim PS3. Here is a figure of how it's currently connected:

The way it's currently setup, I leave the Soundbar input on TV and change the TV inputs to either 1 or 4 (for Cable or PS3). This way, all sound goes through the soundbar and I can use the TV remote to control sound (as well as the PS3 which is a nice little extra).

The issue I'm facing is well over half the time when I turn the TV on, I don't get any sound from the soundbar. The Viera Link is defaulting to Home Theater for sound output and I can actually see the volume going up and down, but I get nothing. There are 2 ways to get it working. I either go into the Viera Link settings and change default output from Home Theater to TV then back to Home Theater, or I turn the TV off then on (this second method doesn't always work). I have the power save set to shut off all compatable devices when the TV turns off (the soundbar and PS3) and vice versa when I turn the TV on.

Also to note, this only started when I went to the current setup. Here is a figure of my previous setup:

I had the Cable and PS3 outputs going to the soundbar and the soundbar output going into the TV input. Through this setup, I had to change the soundbar inputs to either Cable or PS3, and had to use that remote to change the sound. With this setup, I did not have the sound issue.

I suspect the issue might be with the power save settings. Since the soundbar gets turned off when I turn the TV off, it needs to be turned on again when I turn the TV on. I'm thinking because of this, the TV is getting turned on first and isn't syncing with the soundbar.

Also to note this also happens when I turn the TV on and try to use Netflix or any of the other Viera Connect apps. I've ruled out any connected devices being the issue because of this.

Anyway, that's the issue and I'm hoping someone might have some ideas. Again, first time posting so if I'm doing anything wrong, just tell me.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-04-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
You didn't have a sound issue with your original configuration because audio was going directly to the soundbar rather than the way you have it now where it goes to the TV first and then out through the ARC connection to the soundbar. With that original configuration, did you have issues with the audio from Netflix and the other apps? Have you tried using a different HDMI cable between the TV and soundbar? The cable could be the problem.

Also, with your original setup, you shouldn't have needed the bar's remote to change volume (if that's what you meant by "change sound").
post #3 of 6 Old 10-04-2012, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Yes you are right I didnt need to use the soundbar remote to change the sound. I got confused. I was actually thinking of using the remote to change the input. That's one of the main reasons I changed the setup. Less remotes, and automatic power/input switching to my devices.

Anyway, to answer your question no I did not have any sound issue using netflix or other apps in the previous setup. Unfortunately swapping the hdmi cable is easier said than done. The TV is wall mounted so not only can I not reach the inputs, but I secured all the cables running down to the back of the TV so they wouldnt hang. To top it off I have nobody to help me take the TV off, and I'd have to get someone to take my son out of the house while we do it (a very curious 3 year old who likes to 'fix' things wouldnt mix well with my new TV on the floor). The next time I do get the opportunity, I will definitely swap though. In the meantime, I've been thinking of turning off the power save mode in Viera Link so the soundbar does not turn off with everything else. Once I try I'll post back. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again.
post #4 of 6 Old 10-04-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
If you didn't have issues with Netflix audio originally, it may not be the HDMI cable. Since you can't easily swap cables, try turning Viera Link off entirely just for testing. With VL off, turn the soundbar on before turning on the TV. Do you still have the audio issue that way? If that resolves the problem, you could leave Viera's "auto-on" feature turned off but still use the "auto-off". Less convenient, but something in there isn't working quite right.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-16-2012, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
with this soundbar - Can I connect my Panny Blu player to the soundbar and then from the soundbar to the TV with a 3D blu ray playing?

in other words will this sound system "pass-through" a 3D signal from my BluRay Player to my TV?

Panasonic TC-P55ST50
Panasonic DMP-BDT 220
Sony HT-CT100
Sony PS4
Sony PS3 Slim
PSN: Rican21
post #6 of 6 Old 11-23-2012, 11:38 AM

I'm hoping someone can help me with what seems to be an issue with my HTB550.

My PS3 is connected via HDMI directly to the soundbar. The soundbar is connected via HDMI (ARC) to the TV (ARC enabled). The issue is even if I play a bluray movie or any content that
comes with Dolby Digital or DTS sound, the sound bar is indicating only PCM (only PCM indicator lights up) is active. I can't get the sound bar to have the Dolby Digital (DD) or DTS indicators to light up. I already checked the audio settings for my PS3 (DD and DTS are enabled). I also made sure that the bluray movie is set to DD or DTS in the setup menu. I thought that DD or DTS or any virtual surround can be activated if the PS3 is directly connected to the sound bar. Anything else I can do to solve this issue?
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc L47e50 47 Inch 1080p Full Hd Ips Led Lcd Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page