Help with Sony soundbar issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-05-2012, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have been using the Sony HT CT100 soundbar + sub/receiver setup for a couple of years and have really enjoyed it. Last weekend my apartment was burglarized and they stole just the soundbar itself, leaving me with just the sub/receiver. Sony says they can't (won't) sell me a replacement. I have 3 questions:

1. Any ideas of how to get a replacement soundbar or another soundbar that will work with that funky output port?

2. If I decide to get a receiver and go that route, can I use the sub in the setup? I.e. is there a usable input on the sub/receiver that will allow it to serve as just a speaker in a 5.1 system?

Picture of back of unit:

3. Can you recommend any other affordable soundbar systems that have both HDMI inputs and an rca input (for my record player)?

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-05-2012, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

If I were to run an LFE sub cable out of the receiver and then split it into dual rca's and plug them into the "TV" input pictured above, would the subwoofer function as a normal subwoofer would (provided the unit is turned on)?
post #3 of 7 Old 10-05-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Connect the TV using the coax/optical inputs (assuming the TV has such digital output) and you can use it as a sub-woofer of sorts. I don't know if it will work as such with the RCA stereo inputs.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-05-2012, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

If I did that would it divert all the audio from the TV to just the woofer, or would it allow the audio to come through the TV speakers and the woofer simultaneously? What if I was using a so I could have speakers?
post #5 of 7 Old 10-05-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Depends on your TV. I would imagine you could run the speakers and the digital output at the same time but I cannot say for sure. All you can do is test it and see what happens. Apart from possibly using it like that, what you have is worthless without obtaining the front speaker portion (which also contains the remote control receiver) to get full use of the product again.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-05-2012, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
I agree with LexInVa that it can't hurt to try conecting from your TV to see what the sub does. You should be able to leave your TV speakers turned on.

As far as your original questions, I don't know what you consider "affordable". You can pick up a used CT100 or CT150 for ~$200. Look on Amazon. Also there are a couple CT100s up for bid on eBay. You could keep an eye on them to see if the price stays low.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-05-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mptribe007 View Post

So I have been using the Sony HT CT100 soundbar + sub/receiver setup for a couple of years and have really enjoyed it. Last weekend my apartment was burglarized and they stole just the soundbar itself, leaving me with just the sub/receiver. Sony says they can't (won't) sell me a replacement. I have 3 questions:
1. Any ideas of how to get a replacement soundbar or another soundbar that will work with that funky output port?
2. If I decide to get a receiver and go that route, can I use the sub in the setup? I.e. is there a usable input on the sub/receiver that will allow it to serve as just a speaker in a 5.1 system?
Picture of back of unit:

3. Can you recommend any other affordable soundbar systems that have both HDMI inputs and an rca input (for my record player)?
Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated as well.
Thanks!

Umm, have you thot of just buying another similar set?? The sony ct 100, 150, 350 are on sale all over the place. I heard some people getting the ct 150 and 350 for a steal at sears clearance sales, etc. Someone said they got a ct 350 for like $100-$130 new and lower end ct 150 and ct 100 like $70-$80 bux. You might wanna check chain stores and major retailers in your area including mom and pop shops. Sometimes they have the hardest time selling older goods they can't get rid of... you be surprised at the deals they make - usually at or near wholesale cost just to get rid of the thing and not lose money. See if those types of deals exist for you.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Sony Htct100 Sound Bar With Subwoofer Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page