Samsung hw-e450 with LG tv - no sound, please help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 10-21-2012, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have just brought a hw-e450 for my LG 42lk530t tv but I cannot get any sound from it. Sound bar does work as I have played music through blue tooth. Currently just trying to get the aux lead to work but no sound. I have also tried hdmi cable with no luck. Is this a compatibility issue? Note that I am not trying to connect any other devices (yet).

Please help me!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-21-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Hi,

Your post has me a bit confused as to what connections you're trying, so let's just go over what should (and shouldn't) work assuming you're trying to get audio FROM the TV to the soundbar.

I don't think your TV supports ARC, so the HDMI connection will not work for the purpose of audio out. It looks like your TV has optical (Toslink) out. Connect an optical cable from TV to the optical in port on the soundbar. Change audio out settings on your TV to "external". Using the soundbar remote, select "D.In" as your source (not AUX). You should have audio from the TV (Freeview) and/or whatever source devices you have connected to the TV.

If this isn't working, post back and explain exactly what you have connected and how.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-23-2012, 03:21 PM

Hello,

I just bought the Samsung HW-E450 as well and am not getting any sound when using the digital optical connection. I have also set the sound output to external speakers. I have an Insignia 42" Plasma tv. The only other thing I have plugged into the TV is an HDMI from my ps3.

Does anyone have any ideas?
post #4 of 15 Old 11-24-2012, 08:11 AM

No ideas unfortunately as I have the same problem. Only difference is I have an RCA 42" Plasma HDTV instead of insignia. I also replied to a post in the forum dedicated to that soundbar, so I apologize if that is frowned upon as a possible duplicate post. Any help to those of us with this issue is greatly appreciated!
post #5 of 15 Old 11-24-2012, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Have you verified that your TV can output audio from all sources via optical? Older TVs might have limitations such as optical can only be used for the built in cable / OTA tuner. If that is the case you must use analog audio cables.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-24-2012, 09:06 AM

TV is new also ,another Black Friday deal. It is an RCA Plasma HDTV [model 42pa30rq] and being new I would assume that the optical output should work with most if not all devices. But I must say that the manual for that TV is pretty useless, so I hate to assume anything. Is there a way to tell if that tv can output audio via optical other than reading the useless manual? Thanks for the reply by the way!
post #7 of 15 Old 11-24-2012, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbennett65 View Post

TV is new also ,another Black Friday deal. It is an RCA Plasma HDTV [model 42pa30rq] and being new I would assume that the optical output should work with most if not all devices. But I must say that the manual for that TV is pretty useless, so I hate to assume anything. Is there a way to tell if that tv can output audio via optical other than reading the useless manual? Thanks for the reply by the way!

Page 26 of your manual, last entry
post #8 of 15 Old 11-24-2012, 03:50 PM

Thank you Tuan, but I am unfortunately still confused. I hate to keep asking for help, and thank you for your time. My next question is the last entry on pg 26 tells me to set the audio type to off, PCM or RAW according to the power amplifier. I have no idea what the setting should be as I don't know which is compatible with the sound bar. I figured probably RAW, but I have tried all three without success. Kudo's by the way for finding that in the manual, I admit I kind of glossed over it since I didn't really understand it.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-24-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I also took a look at the TV's manual and have to agree it's not too helpful. frown.gif It's also confusing because both the specs and the diagram of the connection panel show digital audio out is coax, but you said you're using toslink??

Let's take a step back and make sure the soundbar is working correctly. Connect your BD player via HDMI to the soundbar, then connect the soundbar to the TV via HDMI. Select the correct inputs on both TV & soundbar. Is it working okay that way?

Assuming it is, then connect your cable box via HDMI to an unused HDMI port on the TV. Connect the Toslink (if indeed that's what the TV has) to the optical in on the soundbar. Try the PCM audio setting on the TV. Select the D.IN on the soundbar. Are you getting audio?

Please report back as to whether any of this is working. smile.gif
post #10 of 15 Old 11-24-2012, 06:26 PM

Thank you Possumgirl for the quick response. I will try most of that configuration tomorrow when I get home from working overnights and report my results. The only problem I see with it is my cable company [Charter] uses a component connection instead of HDMI, which I find odd since the cable box has an HDMI port that isn't being used. Can I connect the cable box [a Motorola DCX2501-M] via HDMI to the tv using that open port without losing my cable signal? I can tell you that the soundbar does work as I am able to use it by connecting the supplied audio cables and setting the soundbar to aux. I am keeping my tv volume as low as the setting will go to prevent echo as I can find no option in the sound menu to turn off the speakers. The toslink connection between the soundbar and the tv fits the tv with an adapter included with the cable I bought, so I am thinking that may be why the connection doesn't work even though the cable specified the adapter for that use. If that does turn out to be the issue do you know of any cable adapter that might work? If not can I get the soundbar to at least work with my BD via a direct connection by HDMI between the BD and the soundbar? Thanks again for your help!
post #11 of 15 Old 11-24-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

To answer your last question first, the reason I suggested testing by connecting BD player to soundbar is that not only it should work that way, that is really a preferred connection for a BD player.

I'm guessing the "supplied audio cables" are analog RCA (red/white)? Since that works, it seems the problem is related to the digital connection. Do you have a link to the cable/adapter you bought, or one like it? Or any kind of make/model on the adapter so I can take a look?

Lastly, why do you say the cable box has to use component if it also has an HDMI connection?

I'll check back tomorrow to see how things are going.
post #12 of 15 Old 11-24-2012, 10:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
The only problem I see with it is my cable company [Charter] uses a component connection instead of HDMI, which I find odd since the cable box has an HDMI port that isn't being used. Can I connect the cable box [a Motorola DCX2501-M] via HDMI to the tv using that open port without losing my cable signal?

My guess is that the cable company installed the box that way or it was a self-install and he just used the cables that were provided. Typically, they provide component cables free of charge but do not supply HDMI cables. I would definitely swap the component cables out for HDMI.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #13 of 15 Old 11-27-2012, 01:11 PM

Last week i bought e450 and try to connect with my LG 7600. It doesn't work. After few hours of troubleshoot and googling it was all waste of time. Then i thought the cable might be problem. I swap my sound bar cable with blu ray. It worked

I ordered new cable from Amazon and it didn't work with that either.

Its very surprising!!!

I am not sure why, but my sound bar works fine when i use "AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable (6.5 Feet/2.0 Meters) - Supports Ethernet, 3D, and Audio Return [Newest Standard] "

When i try "BlueRigger High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet 6.6 Feet (2m) - Supports 3D and Audio Return [Latest Version]" (purchased from Amazon) or the one which comes with soundbar, it didn't work.

Any idea?
post #14 of 15 Old 12-15-2012, 12:59 PM

I have the same problem with this sound bar but I have a Sony Bravia TV and a Pioneer VSX-819H-s/-K AV multi-channel receiver. I have tried using an optical cable and also HDMI cables. I get picture but no sound. I followed this thread and saw that somebody had to reset speakers to external. I could not see how to do that on this TV. At any rate the sound was working when output from the Pioneer thru regular speaker cables. Any ideas? Many thanks.
post #15 of 15 Old 12-15-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincdaj View Post

I have the same problem with this sound bar but I have a Sony Bravia TV and a Pioneer VSX-819H-s/-K AV multi-channel receiver. I have tried using an optical cable and also HDMI cables. I get picture but no sound. I followed this thread and saw that somebody had to reset speakers to external. I could not see how to do that on this TV. At any rate the sound was working when output from the Pioneer thru regular speaker cables. Any ideas? Many thanks.

Do you have your source devices connected to the TV? The TV owner's manual should explain how to set speakers to external. Post what you have connected, where connected, and how connected. Also post model # of your Sony TV.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Samsung Hw E450 Wireless Airtrack Soundbar
Gear in this thread - E450 by PriceGrabber.com