do quality and expensive soundbars have DAC built in? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-27-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i want to know if
quality and expensive soundbars have DAC built in?
because yamaha ysp-2200 spec sheet says "When music is encoded into a digitally compressed format like MP3, the frequency response suffers. Yamaha's Music Enhancer Technology restores what was lost, so your music always sounds the way it should. The Music Enhancer restores the original, live sound of your music, especially deep, strong sounds like bass and drums."

so i imagine this yamaha soundbars may have DAC? if we send music , for example FLAC from our laptops, will they be played perfect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-27-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Well, all amplified soundbars need a DAC, not just expensive ones. I think all Yamaha is saying is that they use the same or similar "restoration" technology as in their AVRs that they describe as:
Quote:

Compressed Music Enhancer

Yamaha employs sophisticated digital signal processing with exclusive algorithms to enable playback that improves the performance of compressed music formats, including MP3 and WMA. With the Compressed Music Enhancer, highs and especially lows are richer and smoother, bringing music back to life to be as close to the original as possible.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-27-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
I see you posted this same question in another Yamaha thread. Since you're specifically asking about the YSP2200 in this thread though, there are a couple things to consider.
1) How do you intend to "send music"? This soundbar does not have networking capability.
2) There is no mention in the user manual or other documentation that the soundbar supports FLAC playback. You might need to contact Yamaha CS to ask.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-27-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
When using a lossy format such as MP3, Dolby digital, DTS, etc. some information is lost int the encoding process. It is gone forever but some enhancers try to compensate for the loss by boosting and interpolating the frequencies where the greatest losses occur (mostly in high and low frequencies) to make it sound closer to the original. It can never be perfect but it is not going to hurt to use it. It will have no effect on lossless formats such as PCM, True Dolby HD, DTS Master Audio, WAV or Flac. I am not sure if it decodes Flac or Wav.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-28-2012, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

I see you posted this same question in another Yamaha thread. Since you're specifically asking about the YSP2200 in this thread though, there are a couple things to consider.
1) How do you intend to "send music"? This soundbar does not have networking capability.
2) There is no mention in the user manual or other documentation that the soundbar supports FLAC playback. You might need to contact Yamaha CS to ask.

i want to buy new yamaha 3300 soundbar(sound projector)
it has network function with this item. but i want to know if i will need a dac or not.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/accessories/yit-w12_u/?mode=model

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Yamaha Ysp 2200 Digital Sound Projector Black , Ysp 3300 Digital Sound Projector With Wireless Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page