42" LG Plasma TV + Apple Airport Express + Bose Wave System - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-02-2012, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So my "soundbar" would be the Bose Wave System, but the tv only has toslink optical out, the Airport Express (which I use to stream music wirelessly) uses 3.5mm out, and the Bose system only has 3.5mm in.

I would really love to use the Bose system for both the TV and the Airport Express. Can anyone solve this? Is it even possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 63
If I remember correctly, the Bose Wave Radio only has one external 3.5mm input so if you want to use multiple sources you will have to use some sort of switching device or manually change the input cable from each device when you want to use it.

You didn't mention if you were using a satellite, cable box, antenna, DVD, etc. If you can be more specific I can help you.

post #3 of 5 Old 11-02-2012, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thank you so much for the response.

Any idea on what that switching device may be?

I have nothing fancy set up. It's basically just my tv, and I have an Xbox 360, a PS3, and a Mac Mini all connected to the tv via HDMI. I mostly use the ps3 for blue rays, Xbox for Netflix, and Mac Mini or anything that's not available on my other devices. My main concern is being able to produce the sound that comes from the tv AND the airport express through the Bose Wave system (and you're right, it only has one 3.5 input).

Any suggestions are welcomed!
post #4 of 5 Old 11-03-2012, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 63
This is the easiest and most cost effective way to do what you want to do.

Buy this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=1419&seq=1&format=2
plug it into your TV.

Buy this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=6884&seq=1&format=2
plug it into the optical cable

Buy this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5612&seq=1&format=2
plug it into the adapter

Buy this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021802&p_id=644&seq=1&format=2
Plug one end into your Bose Wave radio and when you want TV sound manually plug it into the TV adapter, when you want music unplug from TV adapter and plug it into the Apple Express.

The manual switching part is not exactly ideal but with only one input on the radio you're kind of limited. You may be able to find some kind of 3.5mm A/B switch on that website but I'm sure it would be manual anyway.

post #5 of 5 Old 11-03-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
There are manual A/B switches, but they run at least $25 and you still have to get up and flip a switch. The above solution should work fine, but be sure your TV can be set to output PCM, or that it only outputs PCM from connected devices. The DAC will only work with PCM input.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page