Is a soundbar for me?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-05-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a long narrow room with a large (7 ft wide) opening in the middle of it on one of the long walls. My proposed screen location for a HT is to the left of that opening on the same wall as the opening. That wall is 8'2". I'd like to have a 100" screen put there. That leaves only about 3" on each side of the screen. The room is 13x21 with a 9.5' ceiling height.

I guess I have a few options:

1. Use small satellite mains for R/L so they would fit in those small gaps, with the left main being up against the wall.
2. Use an acoustically transparent screen and put in wall speakers inside of the width of the screen.
3. Lift my screen height high enough to put floor standing towers under the screen or still use in wall speakers, just under the screen.
4. Use a soundbar instead of traditional box speakers.

Which is my best option?

Or, do I switch the orientation of the room and project the length of the room and have that big opening to my right as I watch. If I did this, the wall behind the couch would be half of the room length away. What would I do with the surrounds? Stands for surrounds would just get in the way, so where would you put them? And how is that opening going to affect stuff?

It's not an ideal room but it's what I have.

Thanks.