Can a sounbar <$600 sound good for music? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-17-2012, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A few short months ago, we had a larger Sharp TV with an older Bose 3-2-1 and a multi-disk CD player attached. We watched DVD's and listened to CD's through the Bose and were pleased with that sound. We also used the Bose when watching movies on the cable connected TV. I also had a separate stereo set up with decent speakers, CD player and receiver that I used when I just wanted to listen to music (wildly eclectic taste in music).

But we sold the house, and all the furniture and equipment went with the sale. I also took this opportunity to dump most of the CD's and uploaded hundreds of them to Google Play.

In our new home, we will have ten foot ceilings and a larger open family room, kitchen area. I do not want a surround sound system or a bunch of wires all over the place. My preference is to purchase a sound bar that can replace the stereo equipment AND the Bose 3-2-1 and still deliver a reasonable sound quality for music that will be streamed either through the new smart TV or (preferably) streamed by bluetooth. Worst of all, the budget is pretty tapped from the new house, new furniture and new TV, etc.

The new TV is probably going to be a Samsung (not 3D) that will be sitting on a media unit (not hung on the wall).

Suggestions anyone? Or am I dreaming?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 01:48 PM

Liked: 54
For music and sound quality I'd go with a 2.0 or 2.1 system if you want more lower end. Either a nice stereo receiver and decent book shelf speakers or you could just use active monitors. Either of these will perform better than a soundbar for your application.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. But we also need to use this for the TV and don't want a lot of wires and equipment clutter.

Actually, a Bose 3-2-1 that had bluetooth would be the perfect solution (and also allow us to play DVD's and CD's since we sold all that equipment too). However, I don't think Bose makes these anymore. What has replaced them?

Again, I'd appreciate any specific suggestions - I'm really out of touch with this stuff as the system that we had was purchased in like 1998!
Old 11-18-2012, 03:19 PM

If your TV has an audio out you could connect all your devices to the TV (ie cable/sat box, B-Ray or DVD player) and connect the TV to your network for your music files. You'd have all your devices switched though the TV and two wires concting the audio out to a receiver with speakers or active monitors.

For stereo receivers either Yamaha RS-300 or an inexpensive Sherwood. Spend less than $300. Match with Pioneer speakers and sub.

for active monitors
Mackie MR8mk2
M-Audio BX8D2

there are many choices. These are just a few come to mind.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the suggestions. And please forgive my additional stupid questions:

"for active monitors
Mackie MR8mk2
M-Audio BX8D2"

I am not sure what you mean by an active monitor. Can you explain please?

2. Don't ALL newer TV's have an audio out?
Old 11-18-2012, 07:53 PM

An active monitor has an amp in the same cabinet, directly coupled to the drivers. The Mackies sound great for music.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:09 AM

2. No they don't! As price competition continues manufacturers are cutting out more and more analog connections to save money. Try finding a TV with two component or composite inputs. In fact many of them only have one that can be used for either composite or component but not both. It is getting harder. I was just trying to find one for someone that wanted to keep their LD player and use a Wii. So make sure you get a TV with an audio out if you are going to use the TV for switching.