NEED SETUP HELP - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-19-2012, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased an HW E450 soundbar. I have a playstation 3 blue ray(hdmi), a verizon cable box (hdmi) and a new samsung led tv with only 2 hdmi jacks.

What is the best way to set this up? do I need to get an HDMI switcher so the tv can have 3 hdmi connections. Is it that simple. If so, which switcher would be most convenient. Can the component cables from the soundbar work just fine? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-19-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Connect the PS3 to the soundbar HDMI input, then connect the soundbar output via HDMI to one of the HDMI inputs on your TV. Use the one marked ARC if the TV supports ARC. Connect your cable box to the other HDMI input on the TV. That's it unless the TV does not support ARC. In that case you'll need to connect an optical cable from TV to soundbar.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-20-2012, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much. Because I am new to all of this, I have a few other questins.

So for clarification. First, I connect the ps3 to soundbar, then the other ps3 cables to the tv.

I then connect the soundbar output to the tv. I do not believe the Samsung tv I have supports ARC. It is UN50EH6000. If it does not, how bad does the audio degrade if I connect soundbar to tv with only the optical cable? Is there a noticeable difference?

Finally, I connect the cable box to the 2nd hdmi connection in the tv?

Doesn’t the ps3 need to be connected to the tv via an hdmi cable as well?

If I had to get an HDMI splitter, would that further degrade the signal? Could a splitter be one option?

Thank you again.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-20-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark79 View Post

Thank you very much. Because I am new to all of this, I have a few other questins.
So for clarification. First, I connect the ps3 to soundbar, then the other ps3 cables to the tv.
You connect the PS3 via HDMI to the soundbar. That is the only connection you need from the PS3.
Quote:
I then connect the soundbar output to the tv.
Correct. You can use either of the TV's HDMI inputs because the TV does not have ARC as you already know.
Quote:
I do not believe the Samsung tv I have supports ARC. It is UN50EH6000. If it does not, how bad does the audio degrade if I connect soundbar to tv with only the optical cable? Is there a noticeable difference?
The audio a TV outputs is exactly the same whether it's via HDMI or optical.
Quote:
Finally, I connect the cable box to the 2nd hdmi connection in the tv?
Yes
Quote:
Doesn’t the ps3 need to be connected to the tv via an hdmi cable as well?
Not directly. That connection is made by the HDMI from the soundbar to the TV.
Quote:
If I had to get an HDMI splitter, would that further degrade the signal? Could a splitter be one option?
Thank you again.
There's no reason you would need any type of splitter with your current configuration.
BTW, if you ever do add another source device that needs HDMI, you would look for an HDMI switch.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-20-2012, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

What if I am using the ps3 for games as well. Don't I need to make additinoal connections for the video, etc. Also, the hd cable box does not need to be connected to the soundbar? I am trying to diagram this all out. I really appreciate all of you help. Can I contact you wth additional questions, if I need to?
post #6 of 7 Old 11-20-2012, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the follow-up but Samsung is saying that because no ARC, I cannot connect the HDMI from soundbar directly to tv and would have to use the optical cable instead.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-20-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I think you're not understanding what travels in what directlon. smile.gif
The HDMI connection from PS3 to soundbar sends both audio & video TO the soundbar. The soundbar processes the audio so you hear whatever disc you're playing, and the HDMI connection FROM the soundbar TO the TV sends the video TO the TV.

Since you will have another source device (your cable box) connected TO the TV, you only need to send audio FROM the TV TO the soundbar. That is what the optical cable will do.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Samsung Hw E450 Wireless Airtrack Soundbar , Samsung 50 Inch Led Hdtv Un50eh6000
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page