samsung hw-e450 setup help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-20-2012, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a samsun hw-e450, xbox, panisonic bmt-dt220 blu ray player and a panisonic st50 plasma tv. how can I hook everything up so sound will go through the soundbar for all pieces?

The soundbar has an hdmi in and hdmi out. I currently have the TV working through the soundbar but my attempts to get anything else going through as well as the tv have failed. Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-20-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraz27 View Post

I have a samsun hw-e450, xbox, panisonic bmt-dt220 blu ray player and a panisonic st50 plasma tv. how can I hook everything up so sound will go through the soundbar for all pieces?
The soundbar has an hdmi in and hdmi out. I currently have the TV working through the soundbar but my attempts to get anything else going through as well as the tv have failed. Please help.

I don't understand what part is working and what has failed. Connect the BD player via HDMI to the soundbar. Connect the soundbar via HDMI to the Panny's HDMI(ARC) input. Connect the Xbox to any other HDMI input on the TV. If for any reason you can't get ARC to work between the units, just connect an optical cable from TV to soundbar.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-20-2012, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

I don't understand what part is working and what has failed. Connect the BD player via HDMI to the soundbar. Connect the soundbar via HDMI to the Panny's HDMI(ARC) input. Connect the Xbox to any other HDMI input on the TV. If for any reason you can't get ARC to work between the units, just connect an optical cable from TV to soundbar.

Thanks for the quick reply. I did as you said, at least I think I did. I connected the blu ray to the sound bay via HDMI- in. I then ran HDMI out on the soundbar to the TV on HDMI1. I then hooked xbox to the tv via HDMI3. I turn on xbox and I don't hear any sound. On the soundbar I have the input as hdmi. If I change the soundbar input anything other than HDMI or D IN, for example bluetooth or aux I can hear xbox through the TV speakers, not the sound bar. what am I doing wrong?
post #4 of 14 Old 11-20-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the quick reply. I did as you said, at least I think I did. I connected the blu ray to the sound bay via HDMI- in. I then ran HDMI out on the soundbar to the TV on HDMI1. I then hooked xbox to the tv via HDMI3. I turn on xbox and I don't hear any sound. On the soundbar I have the input as hdmi. If I change the soundbar input anything other than HDMI or D IN, for example bluetooth or aux I can hear xbox through the TV speakers, not the sound bar. what am I doing wrong?

You may not be doing anything wrong. Be sure you have Viera Link turned on. Check the soundbar manual to see if there is any setting affecting ARC. As I said, if you can't get ARC to work, just connect optical (the D IN input).

Oh, and be sure to change audio out settings on the TV to "external".
post #5 of 14 Old 11-20-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

I believe vera link is turned on (on the TV) same results. If I used an optical cable from xbox to the sound bar, that makes sense. How about my time warner cable box going through the sound bar? There is an optical out, hdmi out and various older output methods on the cable box. Ideally I want all pieces going through the sound bar. Or maybe I need to return the soundbar and get another piece of equipment that would do the job?
post #6 of 14 Old 11-20-2012, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

I just ordered a digital audio cable from amazon, should have it by friday. I can run that from xbox or my cable box to the soundbar, I get that. Then I would set the input on the sound bar to D In and the video of course would be on the TV. That makes sense. I still feel like I am one connection short. Blu ray to SB, SB to TV, XBox To TV (audio to soundbar) but I still have a cable box that isn't involved. Of course I could connect via hdmi from the cable box to the tv but that doesn't get me cable through my soundbar. Do I need a different soundbar (more inputs) or maybe a home receiver?
post #7 of 14 Old 11-20-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I really don't know why the ARC connection isn't working for you, except that I've seen posts indicating the Samsung bar might be a bit finnicky about connecting with non-Sammy TVs.

What should work is that you connect one source device to the soundbar and your other source devices to the TV. The HDMI connection from soundbar to TV sends video from the device connected to the bar, and should carry audio back from devices connected to TV. If you cannot get ARC to work, then connecting an optical cable from the TV to the soundbar will do the same job that ARC should have done; send audio TO the soundbar from all source devices connected to TV.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-20-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

something might have just clicked with me, if I connect all things, xbox, cable tv, blu ray to the TV via HDMI and then digital audio from the TV to the soundbar I should be good? I set the TV to have whatever HDMI input I need for the video and the soundbar would be set to D In.

The only downside I see if I believe connecting to the soundbar via HDMI provides an auto-on and auto-of feature, but that isn't that big of a deal.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-20-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

something might have just clicked with me, if I connect all things, xbox, cable tv, blu ray to the TV via HDMI and then digital audio from the TV to the soundbar I should be good? I set the TV to have whatever HDMI input I need for the video and the soundbar would be set to D In.
That will work. The only thing is that your TV will output 2 ch. stereo, not DD5.1 (when available). That's why it's usually preferred to connect ONE source device, like the blu-ray player, directly to the soundbar so you get DD5.1 and DTS. OTOH, you might not notice much difference in the audio. You can try it both ways and choose whichever suits you best.
Quote:
The only downside I see if I believe connecting to the soundbar via HDMI provides an auto-on and auto-of feature, but that isn't that big of a deal.
mraz27 likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-14-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
That will work. The only thing is that your TV will output 2 ch. stereo, not DD5.1 (when available). That's why it's usually preferred to connect ONE source device, like the blu-ray player, directly to the soundbar so you get DD5.1 and DTS. OTOH, you might not notice much difference in the audio. You can try it both ways and choose whichever suits you best.

Not sure if anyone is still monitoring this thread but I have the exact same set up that I am about to hook up. And while I want the best sound I can get: Isn't the soundbar in question only 2 channels to begin with? Is the sound quality of 5.1 better if is going thought just 2 channels? Are there other quality factors that contribute to better sound other than the # of channels that will not come through over HDMI from the TV?

Same question for the optical hook up if the HDMI/ARC does not work.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-14-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:

Also, what is the reasoning for the TV and the sound bar inputs to function this way? Is it a price point thing that don't always allow them to act as just "speakers" while your TV acts as the "receiver"
post #12 of 14 Old 01-14-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew5000 View Post

Not sure if anyone is still monitoring this thread but I have the exact same set up that I am about to hook up. And while I want the best sound I can get: Isn't the soundbar in question only 2 channels to begin with? Is the sound quality of 5.1 better if is going thought just 2 channels? Are there other quality factors that contribute to better sound other than the # of channels that will not come through over HDMI from the TV?

Same question for the optical hook up if the HDMI/ARC does not work.
Yes, the E450 is a 2 ch. soundbar. How much difference you will hear when the bar receives a 5.1 signal vs. a 2 ch. signal depends on a lot of things including how the bar applies "surround" processing, room acoustics, your own hearing, etc. The assumption is that if a soundbar receives 5.1 audio it has more information to work with as it mixes five channels into two. Whether that is what happens inside the bar is something of a guess. When I was using a soundbar, I could definitely hear a difference between feeding it 5.1 and PCM of the same source material.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew5000 View Post

Also, what is the reasoning for the TV and the sound bar inputs to function this way? Is it a price point thing that don't always allow them to act as just "speakers" while your TV acts as the "receiver"

Sorry, but I don't follow what you're asking here.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-14-2013, 12:22 PM

I just mean that everything into the TV via hdmi and then out to the bar via hdmi should allow the sound bar to read the TV as "one device" feeding it an hdmi signal weather that means the picture and sound is from the antenna, TV, blu ray player, etc. Having just one hdmi input on the sound bar would support this idea (who among us just has 1 hdmi device!), but maybe that is just too easy... Not to mention the added functionality of ARC.

No one answer here, just a thought for discussion if you want to weigh in.

Thanks for the answer on the 2 v. 5.1 question, great info!
post #14 of 14 Old 01-14-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I may still be missing the question. confused.gif When a soundbar gets an audio signal it doesn't know or care what the source device is or where it's attached. It just processes the signal and outputs sound on its speakers. Assuming of course, that it's working. biggrin.gif I have no idea how designers make the decision as to whether a soundbar should have HDMI inputs or not.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Samsung Hw E450 Wireless Airtrack Soundbar
Gear in this thread - E450 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page