3 basic questions about hooking up a soundbar - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-26-2012, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an LG 42" TV, an LG Blu-ray player, a FiOS set-top box, a Roku for streaming Netflix, and, as of yesterday, a Sony HTCT60 soundbar. Besides wanting better quality sound than the TV's speakers offer, I bought the soundbar in the hopes that it would boost the sound from the Blu-ray player. A TV volume setting of about 15 is adequate for the STB, whereas I have trouble hearing DVDs even when it's set to 75+. (Any ideas for dealing with that disparity would be most welcome.)

1. Is there any advantage to running sound through the soundbar *and* the TV speakers rather than turning off the TV speakers? Any disadvantage? (I don't hear an echo, so that's not a concern.)

2. Is there any advantage to running a separate connection from the Blu-ray to the soundbar, even though it works when I'm connected only to the TV? Might that give me stronger audio when watching discs? I can toggle between different inputs using the soundbar remote.

3. If I did decide to attach the Blu-ray, too, should I reserve the optical link for the TV since I use the STB more often, and use the digital or analog hook-up for the Blu-ray?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-26-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAK View Post

1. Is there any advantage to running sound through the soundbar *and* the TV speakers rather than turning off the TV speakers? Any disadvantage? (I don't hear an echo, so that's not a concern.)
No advantage. Usually you will hear an echo or phase delay by leaving the TV speakers on.
Quote:
2. Is there any advantage to running a separate connection from the Blu-ray to the soundbar, even though it works when I'm connected only to the TV? Might that give me stronger audio when watching discs? I can toggle between different inputs using the soundbar remote.
With many soundbars, there would be an advantage to having BD audio going directly to the bar. Not sure with this one if that would be true. Try it and see if you hear a difference. BTW, I've no idea what is causing such a large volume disparity between TV and discs. Some difference is expected, but that seems a bit unusual.
Quote:
3. If I did decide to attach the Blu-ray, too, should I reserve the optical link for the TV since I use the STB more often, and use the digital or analog hook-up for the Blu-ray?
Thanks in advance!
I'm assuming your TV only has optical out. If the BD player has coax and you want to connect it directly to the bar, coax would be the way to go.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-26-2012, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks -- that's helpful. Now that I look at my TV, I think you're right that the decision (for my question #3) is made for me: the only audio out is optical.

If others have thoughts about the low Blu-ray audio output, I'd love to hear them.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Sony Htct60 Soundbar With Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page