AVS Forum banner
2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  edantheman 
#1 ·
Ok I dont have much experience with sound bars other than what I have for my "kids" tv. Currently using a Vizio VSB210WS. I think the thing is great etc but lacks DTS support. (also have a dedicated hometheater Onkyo3008 etc, so not too concerned). So that being said, I'm helping a friends wife find a good soundbar for the hubby. Lets say their budget is 500, and I recommend something with a wireless subwoofer and DTS support. I will most likely be setting it up for them etc, so I plan to run all their sources into the TV then out to soundbar via HDMI (if possible, or Optical if no other choice).

Any thoughts or recommendations which would incorporate the features above?

Thanks in advance folks!!

#2 ·
Just a few things for you to be aware of when looking at soundbars. In order to use HDMI to send audio out from TV, both the TV and the soundbar must support ARC. If that's not the case, then you will need to use digital out from the TV.

Connecting a BD player directly to the TV will not give you DTS. You'd need to connect directly via HDMI to a soundbar that supports DTS, or use two connections from the player: HDMI to the TV plus digital to the soundbar (for audio).

A few soundbars that might be worth looking at for starters are YSP-2200 (might be able to find it in your price range); Vizio VHT215; Sony CT-550W; Panasonic HTB550.

Hopefully other members will come by and make additional suggestions for you.

#3 ·
i wouldnt recommend a soundbar for a friend because since soundbars dont have outputs, your DVD/BD Player, Game consoles, PC, etc have to go through the TV first, which means they will only output to the specs of the TV speakers.

obviously a receiver solves this but that kind of defeats the main marketability point of soundbars: they are an affordable home theatre solution. Adding a receiver to the price brings it in a range expensive enough that you're better off just buying a low end 5.1.

I think its a better deal to just buy a 2 Channel Home theatre in a box...gives you more inputs, likely an HDMI output, maybe a USB input. I dunno I just dont think soundbars are a wise choise for the consumer without a receiver but its just my opinion.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGENT_P6  /t/1441710/recommending-a-soundbar-for-a-good-friend-help-please#post_22631508

i wouldnt recommend a soundbar for a friend because since soundbars dont have outputs, your DVD/BD Player, Game consoles, PC, etc have to go through the TV first, which means they will only output to the specs of the TV speakers.

Just an FYI, but there are many soundbars that have multiple HDMI inputs (mini-AVRs so to speak) so source devices do NOT have to go through the TV.

#5 ·
Possumgirl always makes some excellent points.

If you consider a soundbar as a route to better (much better) audio than most flat panel TV's, you really can't go wrong with any of her suggestions.

If your neighbor does not mind spending a little less money, the older Sony CT-150, still widely available as well as Panasonic's less expensive HTB-SB20 have excellent sound. Both have wired woofers, but as long as you are locating the sub near the source this should not be an issue.

The only source I am usually concerned having digital audio is Blu-Ray. So lack of inputs is usually not an issue with me.

#6 ·

Quote:
The only source I am usually concerned having digital audio is Blu-Ray. So lack of inputs is usually not an issue with me.

I am beginning to lean that way as well. In my limited knowledge, I am thinking of connecting everything except my BD player to my TV via HDMI and then the TV to the soundbar via optical. I will also be connecting my BD player to the soundbar via HDMI IN and the soundbar OUT to my TV via HDMI. My TV doesn't support ARC. My other option is to get an HDMI switch and connect everything via HDMI to the switch, connect the switch to the soundbar via HDMI IN, and then HDMI OUT from the soundbar to the TV. I just don't know how much of a difference the sound would be using the switch and connecting everything directly to the soundbar via HDMI or connecting everything to my TV via HDMI and then using an optical cable from the TV to the soundbar.

I apologize for hijacking this thread but I posted this here to piggyback off of your thoughts and possibly help the OP.

#7 ·
Thanks folks for the replies. So far I;ve recommended Vizio for them, but they are looking at a yamaha yas 101 iirc. Any thoughts? I only recommend vizio because of the price. I paid 99 bucks for my vsb210ws and its a million times better than the tv speakers (lg 50"). kind of what they are looking for, ie living room purposes.

They will be running a ps3, Wii and sattellite receiver. For the last few years they've just been running everything through their 52" samsung LCD tv. I'm recommending a wireless sub so they can tuck it in a corner etc. hardwood and finished basement (floor underneath) make running speaker cables a bit of a pita.

#8 ·
If they use the PS3 to watch bluray films, then I would stay away from the YAS101. The Sony HT-CT 150 (currently $188 on Amazon) is the best bang for your buck. It has much better bass since it has a dedicated 5.5 inch sub, and has more connectivity options (3 HDMI in, 1 HDMI out, optical in, and RCA I believe).

#9 ·
Hello everyone!!! My name is dan and im a newbie as of yesterday and very green ie home theater technology.

I am very interested in the panosonic p50u50 plasma tv which has only optical digital toslink output. Will this be compatable with a soundbar system?

If so would it be feasable to seek a soundbar to link to a 10" powered velvodyne sub i have or would i be better off selling it on craigslist and using the $ to purchase a soundbar sub combo.

Another question. I am looking for the best possible sorround sound simulation in a low cost set up. Dave and Davyo's comments seem to indicate that although there are quite a few good systems ie the sony ct150 and a panasonic (Dave please see below) vizios and others anyway their writings have me wanting a jvc ba1int. I dont mean to leave anyone out for great imput and generousity, btw.

Ps thanks Dave for your inpur ie the lowest price panasonic system you menoned.

is that the one that can seperate the two channels into stand alone speakers?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

dan (the man)

#10 ·
Hello everyone!!! My name is dan and im a newbie as of yesterday and very green ie home theater technology.

I am very interested in the panosonic p50u50 plasma tv which has only optical digital toslink output. Will this be compatable with a soundbar system?

If so would it be feasable to seek a soundbar to link to a 10" powered velvodyne sub i have or would i be better off selling it on craigslist and using the $ to purchase a soundbar sub combo.

Another question. I am looking for the best possible sorround sound simulation in a low cost set up. Dave and Davyo's comments seem to indicate that although there are quite a few good systems ie the sony ct150 and a panasonic (Dave please see below) vizios and others anyway their writings have me wanting a jvc ba1int. I dont mean to leave anyone out for great imput and generousity, btw.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

dan (the man)

#11 ·

THANKS IN ADVANCE

dan (the man)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.