Best 'Pseudo-Surround' in a POWERED Soundbar (under $500)? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-01-2012, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is for a bedroom, albeit w/a new 50" plasma. I don't want to buy an AV receiver, though I would consider an affordable HTIB-type receiver/blu-ray 'head unit', either separately or bundled w/a soundbar, as I need a streaming blu-ray, too. But i have a feeling the soundbars packaged like that will be as 'cheap' as the speaker-sets seem to be.

The ZVOX seems great, but the reviews I've read are that they don't really try to create a pseudo-surround sound, but rather just a nice stereo sound....basically a higher-quality version of the built in speakers on the panel. I'd like something that has a decent surround effect. And I'd like my TV or Dish Hopper remote to control volume, but that's not a deal breaker (might get a cheap Harmony).

Any & all suggestions appreciated...thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-05-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Best simulated surround that I have head so far in your price range is the new Panasonic HTB20 (less than $200).

Projects an image far to the right and left of the speaker (can also be used in dual tower configuration for even more seperation). Good depth. I have not heard sound from behind me with any soundbar (I have owned five and setup probably 20-30 for friends and family).

David Freeman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Panasonic Sc Htb20 Energy Star 2 1 Channel 240 Watt Multi Positional Full Hd 3d Audio System