Quick question about a soundbar - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-03-2012, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have bought a Panasonic 55GT50 just recently. Already have an older Polk stereo system with subwoofer that I may update. But I'm also kind of interested in going with a soundbar instead. Was looking at the YSP2200 and the YHTS401. Are those going to be compatible with my new TV? Or, what else might I look at that would work with my new TV? Thanks for input!!

Panasonic GT50 55"
Oppo 103 Blu-Ray Player
Denon 2112CI AVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-04-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

I'm quite undecided about a sound bar. On the one hand I like the clean look of a soundbar without all the speakers and cords. But I've always had a 5.1 set-up. When I've been over at BB and heard them, I like the sound they put out. A soundbar would work better with my setup with the TV. My TV sits in a corner next to a fireplace, and the speakers have always been hard to place and kind of stick out in the room next to the TV. The subwoofer has to sit behind the TV, which I know isn't ideal. The family room is about 15x20 and open to the kitchen. Any thoughts??

Panasonic GT50 55"
Oppo 103 Blu-Ray Player
Denon 2112CI AVR
post #3 of 9 Old 12-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Go and audition either the Bose Lifestyle 135 sound bar or the Bose Cinemate 1SR, you won't be dissapointed. The 1SR is currently the #1 selling soundbar in the US.
post #4 of 9 Old 12-05-2012, 06:38 AM

Liked: 10
For relatively inexpensive, go look at the Energy Power Bar Elite. I have had one for a week, and have been pretty impressed. It's not going to be match a quality 5.1 system, but where my TV was, it was impossible to enjoy a true 5.1 system (no basement! frown.gif ) And right now they seem to have gone back to being $600, but I got mine for $350. And actually, I bought 2 (long story!) and am planning on returning it. But would be willing to sell for my cost plus shipping if interested. I think it was $387 due to tax.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-05-2012, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

As I understand, I could continue to use my subwoofer I currently have with the soundbar?? The Bose looks nice, but that's more than I would want to pay. My budget would be $400-500 or so. If I were to go with the soundbar I want it to sound the best possible (of course like everyone). I have been reading this forum about various sound bars, but I'm new to them, and don't know what's good and what to steer clear of.

Panasonic GT50 55"
Oppo 103 Blu-Ray Player
Denon 2112CI AVR
post #6 of 9 Old 12-05-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Just a few random thoughts.
1. Subwoofer - most current soundbars come with their own powered sub-woofer. In almost all cases, you are better off with the unit that is matched to the soundbar. Crossover point should be matched more closely plus efficiency and tracking should work better. If the two devices are not matched efficiency wise, as you increase volume to one, the other device may be increasing either more or less. You can always balance things at one particular point of the spectrum, but this may not match all the way through.
2. Dollar amount bears little relationship to sound quality in all of consumer audio, but especially in soundbars. I own or have owned five soundbars since 2007 ranging in price from $ 1,400 (Yamaha) to $ 97 (Vizio) with a number of stops in between. The absolute best for movies was a JVC TH-BA10 because it was true 4.1 channel plus had the fastest bass (many people don't understand the need for speed when reproducing bass) that I had experienced in probably 30 years.

Currently I am using a newer model soundbar from Panasonic (their cheapest and I don't remember the model). Better artificial surround than any of my previous devices including the famous Yamaha. Also does better with music than any previous soundbar (usually soundbars are attrocious for music unless you have 1500-2500 to spend). Some caveats on this unit
1. Bass comes adjusted way too loud from the factory. To get this corrected, I turned the sub all the way down and increased gradually until the balance sounded about right.
2. No visible marker for volume level. Don't know why I want this, but I do miss it.
3. Also has a 3D and Crystal Dialog setting enabled from the factory. I turned this off as initially it sounded strange to me. I may give it another try after I have had the unit a few more weeks.

David Freeman
post #7 of 9 Old 12-06-2012, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

Just a few random thoughts.
1. Subwoofer - most current soundbars come with their own powered sub-woofer. In almost all cases, you are better off with the unit that is matched to the soundbar. Crossover point should be matched more closely plus efficiency and tracking should work better. If the two devices are not matched efficiency wise, as you increase volume to one, the other device may be increasing either more or less. You can always balance things at one particular point of the spectrum, but this may not match all the way through.
2. Dollar amount bears little relationship to sound quality in all of consumer audio, but especially in soundbars. I own or have owned five soundbars since 2007 ranging in price from $ 1,400 (Yamaha) to $ 97 (Vizio) with a number of stops in between. The absolute best for movies was a JVC TH-BA10 because it was true 4.1 channel plus had the fastest bass (many people don't understand the need for speed when reproducing bass) that I had experienced in probably 30 years.
Currently I am using a newer model soundbar from Panasonic (their cheapest and I don't remember the model). Better artificial surround than any of my previous devices including the famous Yamaha. Also does better with music than any previous soundbar (usually soundbars are attrocious for music unless you have 1500-2500 to spend). Some caveats on this unit
1. Bass comes adjusted way too loud from the factory. To get this corrected, I turned the sub all the way down and increased gradually until the balance sounded about right.
2. No visible marker for volume level. Don't know why I want this, but I do miss it.
3. Also has a 3D and Crystal Dialog setting enabled from the factory. I turned this off as initially it sounded strange to me. I may give it another try after I have had the unit a few more weeks.

Thanks for you input. I was thinking I would probably not want to use the subwoofer I now have for the reasons you stated. The audio on the TV is not bad, but could be better. For me it's coming down to picking out a new 5.1 system, or going with the soundbar. Decisions, decisions!!!

Panasonic GT50 55"
Oppo 103 Blu-Ray Player
Denon 2112CI AVR
post #8 of 9 Old 12-06-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
I consider a soundbar as an improvement to the terrible audio from most flat screen TV's. I am one of the few old fashioned guys that still has a dedicated listening room with good old stereo playback. If you want to enjoy better sound, a soundbar is a good, usually inexpensive, investment. If you want all of the effects (or as many as your budget allows), then a decent 5.1, 7.1 (9.1) system can't be beat. Before I moved to a condo in 2006, my former home had a very expensive 5.1 system with dedicated pre-amp, power amp, big speakers, etc. It has been a little over six years since I moved at purchased my first soundbar (Yamaha Sound Projector plus sub - more than $ 1,400 at a very good discount) and I must say I haven't missed having all of the bells and whistles so far.

David Freeman
post #9 of 9 Old 12-06-2012, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

So....now if I go with the soundbar I need to figure out which one I want! And which one will work well with my new TV!

Panasonic GT50 55"
Oppo 103 Blu-Ray Player
Denon 2112CI AVR
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Yamaha Ysp 2200 Digital Sound Projector Black , Yamaha Yht S401bl Front Surround Home Theater System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page