Panasonic SC-HTB20 vs Vizio VHT215 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-04-2012, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anybody heard either of these soundbars? They are both on sale from amazon right now. It is going in a bedroom so I don't want something too powerful but I want HDMI hookups for blu-ray audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Amazon has the panasonic for a mere $110 and the vizio is on sale for $199. Is the vizio worth the extra $80?
Old 12-05-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Two good choices. Currently, I have the Panasonic and prefer it to an older Vizio (still in the bedroom).

At the price above, the Panasonic is a much better choice. Good sound for a 2.1 system. Good simulated surround as the sound boundaries extend way out to either side of the TV. Decent depth and also good on music (most soundbars suck on music).

David Freeman
Old 12-06-2012, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

I looked at amazon wrong. A new htb20 is $175. Was your vizio a vht215? The 215 is suppopsed to be alot better than the older vizio soundbars
Old 12-06-2012, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

I looked at amazon wrong. A new htb20 is $175. Was your vizio a vht215? The 215 is suppopsed to be alot better than the older vizio soundbars
Old 12-06-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Vizio 215 is the better choice here. More controls, stronger sound, better bass. Both the speaker bar and the suwoofer are powered. On the Panasonic, only the sub is powered. Speaker does not plug in to electrical outlet.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Ok thanks. It doesn't bother me to have to plug in both. I'm not that picky
Old 12-06-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Mine was the older Vizio. I liestened to the 215 when new in 2010 but decided the JVC sounded better (a lot better) at the time. You won't go wrong with either.

David Freeman
Old 12-06-2012, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

Mine was the older Vizio. I liestened to the 215 when new in 2010 but decided the JVC sounded better (a lot better) at the time. You won't go wrong with either.

Are you sure it was the 215 you listened to? According to amazon, it came out September 20, 2011
Old 12-15-2012, 06:51 PM

While the sound on the SC-HTB20 is quite good its functionality is not very good. I am trying to use it with a Sharp LC-46LE540U.

This is how I have the sound bar connected. From the wall to a TWC DTA, connected with standard coax. From the DTA to the sound box input, HDMI cable. From the HTB20 TV out to HDMI-4 on the TV, HDMI cable. So far this is how the "book" from Sharp says to connect it.

The sound when viewing TV is very good. However, when I try to watch my Blu-Ray connected to HDMI-2 the sound stays on the TV channel being watched. I have the Aquod Link set to on and it does work for watching TV.

Anyone see anything I am missing in this configuration? At this point I am really wondering why this has to be this difficult to configure, what the hell is wrong with these companies??? mad.gif
Old 12-15-2012, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekRex View Post

While the sound on the SC-HTB20 is quite good its functionality is not very good. I am trying to use it with a Sharp LC-46LE540U.
This is how I have the sound bar connected. From the wall to a TWC DTA, connected with standard coax. From the DTA to the sound box input, HDMI cable. From the HTB20 TV out to HDMI-4 on the TV, HDMI cable. So far this is how the "book" from Sharp says to connect it.
The sound when viewing TV is very good. However, when I try to watch my Blu-Ray connected to HDMI-2 the sound stays on the TV channel being watched. I have the Aquod Link set to on and it does work for watching TV.
Anyone see anything I am missing in this configuration? At this point I am really wondering why this has to be this difficult to configure, what the hell is wrong with these companies??? mad.gif

You lost me when you started talking about your BD player. How many HDMI inputs do you have on your soundbar? If you have 2, you should be able to connect your cable box via HDMI 1 on your soundbar, your BD player via HDMI 2 on your soundbar, and then connect the soundbar HDMI OUT to the TV.

If not, your TV should have ARC. You can always connect your devices directly to the TV via HDMI and then connect an HDMI cable from the HDMI OUT on your soundbar to HDMI (ARC) on your TV.

There are other options but these 2 are the easiest to me.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Just an FYI. GeekRex has two other threads going with this issue. I've attempted to assist him in this thread.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:20 PM

No, it was just an HDMI in (labeled BD/DVD) and a TV Out. This appears to be by design and a flaw in their design logic. When you have it connected to the input that way it only plays sound when you select the BD/DVD as the source. Very odd. After talking to Sharp and Panasonic tech support I took the Panasonic unit back. I am now in search of a sound bar system that is compatible with the Sharp TV.

Tags
Vizio Vht215 , Panasonic Sc Htb20 Energy Star 2 1 Channel 240 Watt Multi Positional Full Hd 3d Audio System