Vizio VHT510 with receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-04-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been reading a lot of reviews of the 510 and have decided its the way to go for me.

From my understanding if I run everything to my tv with HDMI and then Optical out to the Soundbar I will never achieve 5.1 but instead 2.1. This seems like a waste of buying a 5.1 system. Is there a way to run it through a receiver instead of the TV to achieve 5.1 with all my devices? I will have a digital cable box, blue ray player and Apple TV. Is this an option or will the receiver act like the TV and downgrade it to 2.1 as well?

Please advise what my best option would be. I have seen the manual optical switchers but would much rather not have to go that route as I want to use my iOS devices as my remote using the griffin beacon or something similar.

One more question, does the VHT510 at least replicate a 5.1 type sound with a 2.1 signal when it is downgraded by the TV? Like will the rear speakers at least put out sound?

Thank you very much.

Television is Samsung UN55ES7100F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 47
If you want to hear 5.1, you will need to connect your audio devices directly to the soundbar. A receiver is not a good idea as you will the have an extra layer of electronics that will not enhance or do anything constructive for your sound. Also, with a receiver, you would still need to connect all of your devices first to the receiver and from the receiver to the television for picture and receiver to the soundbar. Again, the only way for your to get 5.1 from a receiver to the soundbar would be if the receiver had a digital output (doubtful).

When connecting devices to an HDTV via HDMI, the TV will only output 2 channel sound to an external device. Stems from an agreement about ten years ago with the music industry covering Digital Rights Management. Thank you Sony.

David Freeman

Tags
Vizio Vht510 5 1 Channel Home Theater System Black