Panasonic ARC Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-04-2012, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Panasonic ST50 series TV with the Panasonic SU-HTB550 soundbar.

I'm currently using the coaxial cable input to send my cable signal into my TV. I have the sound bar wired up and connected to the TV using a HDMI cable on the ARC ports. I thought I was going to be able to take care advantage of the ARC function but after trying different setting and such I'm dead in the water with no sound.

Can you successfully run a coaxial cable for the TV signal and still take advantage of ARC by connecting the sound system to TV using HDMI cables and ARC ports or does the TV signal need to pass through a cable/satellite box then into the TV using a HDMI cable and ARC ports to take advantage of the ARC function?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-05-2012, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yes, that should work. You might have to configure ARC in your sound settings though.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-05-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
ARC should output all audio that originates at the TV end, including the TV's tuners. Here's a few things to check/try:
Use a different HDMI cable; make sure the cable is seated tightly at both ends
Check your Viera Link settings; do you have the TV audio set to "external" speakers?
Check the manual for the soundbar - I don't think there are any settings pertaining to ARC, but double-check that.
post #4 of 15 Old 12-05-2012, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, I have tried all the other settings on the TV itself. The soundbar doesn't have anything you can turn on as far as ARC setting it's just plug and play, or so it seems. I went through the book and it says nothing about activating anything. I'm going to try another HDMI cable for now. I'll update this afternoon
post #5 of 15 Old 12-05-2012, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some pictures of my settings. Can someone confirm that all my settings are correct for the soundbar.

On this screen I see this message. When everything is connected correctly will this message still display?

post #6 of 15 Old 12-05-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

The Viera Link settings look fine. I've never seen that message box but perhaps my ST30 doesn't have it. If you're still not getting audio over ARC, have you tried something other than cable input? How about the smart apps (Netflix, etc), on the TV? Do you have a DVD player or something you can connect to the TV to test audio?

One more thing to try. Turn off TV and soundbar. Disconnect HDMI cable from both. Reconnect HDMI to the TV and turn TV on. Then connect other end of HDMI to soundbar and finally, turn soundbar on. I've read reports where that sequence has gotten a link working.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-05-2012, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

i got kinda worried about my cable possibly being the problem so I actually connected my laptop to the TV using the HDMI cable and everything worked great. I'm headed our right now to go pick up another HDMI cable from Walmart to see if that fixes the problem. I'll probably pick up a digital audio cable while I'm at it. I'll also try your process and see if the sound bar picks up the connection. I really do appreciate the help you've given me so far.

Here are some additional photos that might help in troubleshooting the issue.

When ANT/Cable is selected as the "input source" from the picture below. I then get all grayed out HDMI inputs under the audio section as seen in the second picture. When I choose HDMI 2 as the "input source" in the first picture I can then choose between 2 settings as seen in picture 3 and 4. HDMI 2 is my ARC port so I see that it recognizes the soundbar. Could this possible have anything to do with my current problems?

post #8 of 15 Old 12-05-2012, 05:51 PM

Good thread, I'm having a similar issue.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-05-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linepoacher View Post

When ANT/Cable is selected as the "input source" from the picture below. I then get all grayed out HDMI inputs under the audio section as seen in the second picture. When I choose HDMI 2 as the "input source" in the first picture I can then choose between 2 settings as seen in picture 3 and 4. HDMI 2 is my ARC port so I see that it recognizes the soundbar. Could this possible have anything to do with my current problems?

Pics are normal. The advanced audio section has nothing to do with ARC. It is for audio INPUT. When you have your TV on antenna, there is nothing that can be changed. When you are on one of the HDMI inputs, you can apparently tell the TV to accept audio from a different source. I had to get my manual out for that one. biggrin.gif
post #10 of 15 Old 12-05-2012, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know if its a bad HDMI cable or what the deal is but I went to Walmart and purchased a new HDMI cable and it fixed the problem. I think the new cable from Walmart is a 1.4 HDMI cable. During my research I read that ARC doesn't require a 1.4 HDMI cable so I'm still at a loss as to what the deal is but in my situation the new cable did fix the problem. Hope this helps others out there that have this same problem. Thanks for all the help!

HDMI package tag

New cable on top, old cable on bottom

The following pictures are model specific to the ST50 series I suppose. Once everything is connected correctly and working the audio menu should look like the following 2 pictures. Pretty much every option is grayed out.

Once you choose the Viera Link option in the Viera Tools menu and everything is working right, it should look like the following. At least it does for me.

post #11 of 15 Old 03-05-2013, 07:32 PM

I realize this is an aging thread but I wanted to say thanks for pointing me towards the HDMI cable. I bought a 55UT50 and 2x Mediabridge cables from Amazon that had great reviews. Everything was working fine for maybe.. 4 weeks and then the AVR1700 stopped turning on / off with the TV and audio would no longer output over the ARC. I thought someone had been futzing with the settings until I got frustrated and looked around AVS for a fix and landed here. I swapped cables and it immediately began working again. Kudos to you~
post #12 of 15 Old 09-10-2013, 02:14 PM

Does the receiver have to also support ARC ...?

It looks like once the work to send out the signal is done on the TV end the audio would just come into the receiver via the HDMI cables normal audio channels on the other end but it's not working on my 1997-era Panasonic home theater receiver and I'm wondering if that's why.
post #13 of 15 Old 09-10-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^
Both the TV and the receiver must support ARC for it to work. ARC wasn't implemented until 2010 so your receiver is a bit too old. smile.gif
post #14 of 15 Old 05-08-2014, 05:53 AM

Are you using the tv or the sound bar as the switch? I'm trying to figure this out myself.

post #15 of 15 Old 08-24-2014, 11:08 PM

Just FYI, I believe only one of the 3 hdmi ports supports ARC. If you look at the HDMI ports on the TV, only one is labeled (ARC). For the lazy, it's HDMI 2.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Panasonic Sc Htb550 2 1 Channel 240 Watt Multi Positional Full Hd 3d Audio System With Wireless Musi
Gear in this thread - Htb550 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page