In the market for a soundbar. Confused on how to connect my components now. Please help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-07-2012, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks, first time poster here. Have read through several posts buy couldn't find the answer I was looking for. So thanks in advance for any help!

Here's what I have:
Panasonic TC-P50S30 Plasma (plenty of HDMI in's/ 1 optical out)
Toshiba BDX1100 Blu-ray Player (hdmi out only, no optical)
Directv DVR (hdmi and optical)

I am not really sure the best way to hook my stuff up. Should I leave everything hooked up via HDMI to tv and then optical out from tv to the soundbar that I buy? I know that only produces stereo sound so that's obviously not optimal for the best audio. Or should I get a soundbar with plenty of HDMI inputs and run everything through it.

What I had hoped to do was have blu ray and DVR hooked up with HDMI to tv for video and then optical out from both to a soundbar so that I still had the option of using tv speakers or soundbar. But of course I just realized my blu ray doesnt have optical out. Arghhh mad.gif

I would like to keep this setup simple for my wife and 2 kids. They can all operate the DVR and blu ray no problem as is so I would hate for them to have to switch inputs on the soundbar, etc to get sound.

Any suggestions on how to hook everything up and get good sound and keep things easy and not have to switch inputs or switch cables around, etc?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-07-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
According to the specs for your BD player, it has digital coax out in addition to HDMI, so all you'd need is one of these converters to accomplish your idea of running audio out from each of your source devices (providing the soundbar has at least two optical inputs).

Getting a soundbar with HDMI inputs eliminates the double cabling. Whether switching source devices on the bar is more confusing than doing it on the TV is something only you & your family can decide. wink.gif

Actually, having each source device connected to the TV PLUS having it connected via optical to a soundbar, likely means switching BOTH the TV and the soundbar to the correct input. That may be more confusing than just going direct to a soundbar via HDMI.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-07-2012, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! That all makes sense to me. Chances are my wife and kids will always listen to Blu ray and directv through the tv speakers and switch tv inputs with the directv remote as they do now. I on the otherhand don't mind keeping the soundbar remote handy to change inputs and adjust volume. So I guess it all boils down to keeping it simple for them (using one remote etc) va them bypassing it altogether
post #4 of 4 Old 12-07-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry my phone was acting up. What I meant was I would like to hook a soundbar up and be able to use the directv remote to adjust volume, have it turn on with the tv, etc. (is this possible on most) I suppose soundbars don't have a feature that senses which source you are using?
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Toshiba Bdx1100 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic Viera Tc P50s30 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page