im sooo confused... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-15-2012, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've read a ton of threads on here and all it has done is confused me... My wife wants a sound bar for Xmas and I'm having a horrible time trying to pick one out. We have a Samsung LN46C630 LCD tv, that does NOT support arc HDMI. I've seen where people talk about blue ray players not working with certain model sound bars because of not supporting arc. Seen some talk about PCM which I have no idea what it even is. Other threads saying certain ones will support Dolby digital but not DTS... So here's my dumb question of the day, If my TV has a optic out and the sound bar has a optics in will it work right for me??? Would the same apply for rca in and out? Sorry if it seems dumb but I have no idea what any of this stuff is...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-15-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
A little soundbar 101 for you. smile.gif
1) Don't worry about ARC, it is only a convenience feature and I can't think of anything (including blu-ray players) that won't work without it. If you have it, good....if you don't....no problem.
2) Don't worry about PCM.
3) Don't worry about DTS. If you select a soundbar that has HDMI inputs, then it would be good if the soundbar supports DTS. However, if you are going to leave your source devices connected to the TV, it won't matter since the BD player will downmix everything to stereo.
4) You can connect any soundbar that has optical in to the optical out from your TV. I don't think your TV has analog (red/white RCA) out.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-15-2012, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thank you so much, too much info overloaded me and I guess I freaked lol. Thank you for your help. I believe I'm either gonna go with the vizio vht215 or a lg I saw yesterday, can't remember the model but it was a 300 watt with bluetooth.
post #4 of 4 Old 12-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by syde1020 View Post

Thank you so much, too much info overloaded me and I guess I freaked lol. Thank you for your help. I believe I'm either gonna go with the vizio vht215 or a lg I saw yesterday, can't remember the model but it was a 300 watt with bluetooth.

In my opinion, you are going to have a hard time finding a soundbar that does and has everything you want unless you spend top dollar and, even then, it might be tough. If you find it difficult, just rank features by importance and find a unit that suits your most important needs. I just got a Samsung HW-E450. It has bluetooth and I like that but it wasn't a dealbreaker. 99.9% of the time, I will be using the soundbar for my TV so that wasn't really important to me.

FWIW, the Vizio was on my short list. I would have gotten that if it was in stock and the Samsung wasn't.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Samsung Ln46c630 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page