Soundbar questions: automatically turning on with tv, volume control, etc - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-18-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have narrowed my choices down to these soundbars to use with my Panasonic P50S30 plasma:

Panasonic SC-HTB20P (will connect Directv to HDMI in, blu ray to optical in, HDMI out to HDMI arc on tv)

LG NB3520A (will connect directv tv and blu ray to soundbar via optical and digital coax or just send optical out from tv to soundbar)

Yamaha YAS101 (same connection as LG)

Toshiba SBX4250 (will connect DTV and BD player via HDMI, then HDMI out to tv)

I dont necessarily need to have DTS sound from my blu ray player, so I may just leave everything hooked up via HDMI and then use the optical out even though it's just stereo sound.

Anyway, I guess I am confused on what dictates whether a soundbar will turn on automatically with the tv or not and also if volume with adjust with Directv remote?

Thanks guys and gals for any feedback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-18-2012, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw226 View Post

So I have narrowed my choices down to these soundbars to use with my Panasonic P50S30 plasma:
Panasonic SC-HTB20P (will connect Directv to HDMI in, blu ray to optical in, HDMI out to HDMI arc on tv)
LG NB3520A (will connect directv tv and blu ray to soundbar via optical and digital coax or just send optical out from tv to soundbar)
Yamaha YAS101 (same connection as LG)
Toshiba SBX4250 (will connect DTV and BD player via HDMI, then HDMI out to tv)
I dont necessarily need to have DTS sound from my blu ray player, so I may just leave everything hooked up via HDMI and then use the optical out even though it's just stereo sound.
Anyway, I guess I am confused on what dictates whether a soundbar will turn on automatically with the tv or not and also if volume with adjust with Directv remote?

If you're able, I would connect everything directly to the soundbar via HDMI and then HDMI OUT from the soundbar to the TV. If you do this, you won't need to use ARC at all. ARC is only a convenient way to connect everything to your TV and then output the sound from your TV to the soundbar.

Whether your DirecTV controller will control the soundbar or not is a mystery. I would recommend reading the reviews for the soundbars in question for ways to do this. I didn't really care about that because I knew that, unless I got a fancy remote like a Harmony, I would still need the soundbar remote to utilize all of the features. FWIW, I have a Samsung HW-E450 soundbar with a Samsung LED TV (not ARC). I connected my HD DVR into the soundbar directly and then from the soundbar to my TV. I need to use the soundbar remote to turn the soundbar on and use the special features but, other than that, I can control the volume with my cable remote. I can also turn the soundbar off with my TV.

Good luck.smile.gif

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-19-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

Two things factor into the "control". First is the features of the CEC on your TV. Viera Link is very good and does allow for volume control, auto-on/off. The second thing is whether the external audio system (soundbar or AVR) supports CEC. If it does, then you need to have an HDMI connection from the external system to your TV because that is the only way CEC works. You do not need to have or use ARC. When all the stars align correctly, any remote that can operate your TV will allow for volume control, etc. smile.gif

I should add that there are soundbars that utilize other means of learning a TV remote, but I don't think any of the ones on your list fall into that group.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-19-2012, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Two things factor into the "control". First is the features of the CEC on your TV. Viera Link is very good and does allow for volume control, auto-on/off. The second thing is whether the external audio system (soundbar or AVR) supports CEC. If it does, then you need to have an HDMI connection from the external system to your TV because that is the only way CEC works. You do not need to have or use ARC. When all the stars align correctly, any remote that can operate your TV will allow for volume control, etc. smile.gif
I should add that there are soundbars that utilize other means of learning a TV remote, but I don't think any of the ones on your list fall into that group.

Thanks for the info! Anything that you recommend around $300 that fit the bill?
post #5 of 7 Old 12-20-2012, 05:59 AM

Just posted this on another thread about the Toshiba SBX4250:

I bought one a couple of weeks ago when Best Buy had it on sale for $199 (thanks to Dealnews.com for the deal!). With the two HMDI inputs, wireless subwoofer, and bluetooth, I figured it was worth a shot. So far I am very pleased as it it works quite well and is a big improvement on the TV speakers. My TV has CEC so the bar turns on/off with the TV and my DirecTV remote controls the volume so that's quite nice as well. I have a bluray player and DirecTV HD receiver hooked up using the HDMI and that works nicely. I have an optical cable coming from Monoprice that I will connect for when I watch OTA TV and use the SmartTV functions. The bluetooth seems to work quite nicely as we used it recently with my wife's Ipod Touch and I was carrying it pretty far from the TV (15-20 feet) with no issues.

If you can wait until it's $199 again, I think it is a hell of deal since it has the two HDMI inputs and one HDMI output so you not just stuck with the limitations of running the audio from the TV over optical.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-29-2013, 07:43 AM

Hey, El Bajo. You said your direcTV remote controlled your volume. Are you controlling the volume through your TV, or the Toshiba 4250 soundbar. I just got a 4250 and I am trying to find the code to control it with the DirectV remote with no luck. Can you help me??
post #7 of 7 Old 03-30-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Panasonic SC-HTB20P (will connect Directv to HDMI in, blu ray to optical in, HDMI out to HDMI arc on tv)"
FWIW, this is the same configuration we have with our Panasonic TV and HTB200 Soundbar (with a Panasonic Blu-ray player). They all work very well together. For general television viewing, the DirecTV remote is all that's needed. The soundbar automatically switches between inputs with the TV so we can watch VieraCast or Blu-Ray content without giving any thought to the audio. The little remote that came with the soundbar is never used. The only glitch happens if you mute the TV for more than 30 minutes; you have to power the TV on/off to get the sound back.

Since the household includes two seniors, I wanted something that would "just work" and that's just what we got.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Panasonic Sc Htb20 Energy Star 2 1 Channel 240 Watt Multi Positional Full Hd 3d Audio System , Lg Nb3520a Sound Bar Audio System With Wireless Subwoofer Bluetooth Streaming , Yamaha Yas 101bl Front Surround System Piano Black , Toshiba Sbx4250 300w 2 1 Wireless Sound Bar Black
Gear in this thread - 101bl by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page