How do I get surround sound with Yamaha yas-101 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-25-2012, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just set mine up. Sounds good so far but for some reason can't get the ddst to turn on. I have my Xbox, connected to my tv via component and my blu ray connected via hdmi. And have the sound bar connected via included optical cord. How do I get the surround sound feature to work? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-26-2012, 03:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum509 View Post

Just set mine up. Sounds good so far but for some reason can't get the ddst to turn on. I have my Xbox, connected to my tv via component and my blu ray connected via hdmi. And have the sound bar connected via included optical cord. How do I get the surround sound feature to work? Thanks.

You didn't provide any model #'s for your sources for the soundbar or the TV. I am assuming that you have everything connected to your TV and then you outputted your TV to the soundbar via optical. I would try connecting your sources directly to the soundbar. It's quite possible that your TV is only outputting 2 channel stereo. If you connect the sources directly to the soundbar this way, you should get whatever the source is outputting (as long as the soundbar supports that format). Keep in mind that, if you do this, you will still need to get video to your TV.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-26-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Hooked my yas-101 up last week. From xbox to sound bar used digital optical cable to bd/dvd .Dtv receiver to stb on soundbar with digital coax. Samsung un 55d6000 was hooked up to soundbar using a digital optical cable to tv input. Make sure you check settings on devices and turn dolby on. After a little tweeking,more than happy with the yas-101.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
post #4 of 13 Old 12-26-2012, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

My tv is a Panasonic TC-P50U50. I have my sound bar connected to my tv via optical cord. I have my Xbox hooked up to the tv via component but will get another hdmi cable in a few days. I have a Panasonic blu ray player connected to the tv via hdmi cable. What settings or what do I have to do in order to get the dts going?thanks
post #5 of 13 Old 12-26-2012, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

My tv is a Panasonic TC-P50U50. I have my sound bar connected to my tv via optical cord. I have my Xbox hooked up to the tv via component but will get another hdmi cable in a few days. I have a Panasonic blu ray player connected to the tv via hdmi cable. What settings or what do I have to do in order to get the dts going?thanks

Unless I'm misunderstanding the issue, you're not going to get DTS with the BD player connected to the TV without ALSO running an optical cable from player to soundbar. The BD player downmixes to 2 ch. stereo because it knows it's connected to a TV. In addition, Panny TVs only output 2 ch. stereo from connected devices.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-26-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

You should go to each device and check audio settings and see if there is a Dolby setting,and check them on. Realize that the yas-101 is not a true surround sound system,my set up is in a large great room with no walls to bounce sound off. Having said that,it is far better than tv speakers.

post #7 of 13 Old 12-26-2012, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

To get the best sound you need to connect your xbox,sat. or cable box directly to the soundbar and not through tv.I did same when i first set mine up and was not happy,but after doing some research I got it all sorted.My earlier post shows what I have set.Just ordered a Yamaha sub,not sure I need it but got some BB gift cards to burn up,good luck.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-27-2012, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post

To get the best sound you need to connect your xbox,sat. or cable box directly to the soundbar and not through tv.I did same when i first set mine up and was not happy,but after doing some research I got it all sorted.My earlier post shows what I have set.Just ordered a Yamaha sub,not sure I need it but got some BB gift cards to burn up,good luck.

How do I connect my cable box to the soundbar if my cable box dosent have a optical connection?
post #9 of 13 Old 12-27-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How do I connect my cable box to the soundbar if my cable box dosent have a optical connection?

What does it have? If it's digital coax you can connect it to the coax input on the soundbar. If it only has HDMI, connect to TV and run optical from TV to soundbar. OR, have your cable provider swap the box for a model that does have optical out.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-27-2012, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

What does it have? If it's digital coax you can connect it to the coax input on the soundbar. If it only has HDMI, connect to TV and run optical from TV to soundbar. OR, have your cable provider swap the box for a model that does have optical out.

So if I buy this cord

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-PureAV-AV20100-06-Digital-Coaxial/dp/B0001XGQV8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356666578&sr=1-1&keywords=digital+coaxial+audio+cable

And connect it to the cable box than into the soundbar the dts should work?
post #11 of 13 Old 12-28-2012, 03:31 AM
AVS Special Member

That's it,got mine at K mart for 8 bucks. Not sure what Dtv receiver you'v got,but I had to go into audio settings and hit the Dolby on box.

post #12 of 13 Old 12-28-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So if I buy this cord
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-PureAV-AV20100-06-Digital-Coaxial/dp/B0001XGQV8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356666578&sr=1-1&keywords=digital+coaxial+audio+cable
And connect it to the cable box than into the soundbar the dts should work?

IF your cable box has coax audio out, then yes, that is the type of cable you use. You won't get DTS over cable, but you will get DD5.1 when available.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-29-2012, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

IF your cable box has coax audio out, then yes, that is the type of cable you use. You won't get DTS over cable, but you will get DD5.1 when available.

Thanks for the help.

Another question. Is there a menu for the soundbar? I can't seem to find one. Thanks
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page