Connecting Apple TV, Samsung Surround Bar and Cable Box - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 12-26-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Happy Holidays! I am trying to connect Apple TV and a Samsung Surround Soundbar (HW-E450) to my Westinghouse HDTV. My TV has two HDMI ports BUT NO Optical port. How would you suggest I connect the Apple TV and surround soundbar? Thank you SO much for any help you might be able to offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-26-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Does the TV had digital coax out instead of optical? Post the model # of your TV so we can try to assist you.
C-low likes this.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Does the TV had digital coax out instead of optical? Post the model # of your TV so we can try to assist you.

And which Apple TV system you have. Those that I have seen have HDMI outputs which would make this pretty straightforward.
C-low likes this.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #4 of 16 Old 12-26-2012, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

The apple TV is the latest model - just got it as an Xmas gift. It does have an HDMI and Optical port. What's tripping me up is that the TV has 2 HDMI connections but no optical. The TV is a Westinghouse. I'll post model In about an hour when I get back home. Thanks for the quick response!
post #5 of 16 Old 12-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Is that all that you are connecting to the soundbar/TV? If so, just connect HDMI OUT on the Apple TV to HDMI IN on the soundbar. From there, connect HDMI OUT on the soundbar to 1 of the HDMI ports on the TV. If you have other sources to connect, we might need to get creative.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-26-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

I have a DVD player but I am wondering if with Apple TV, my computer can replace that.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-26-2012, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, My TV is a Westinghouse Model SK-32H540S. The manual can be found at

http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/Westinghouse%20SK-32H540S-B_Manual.pdf

I am trying to connect the newest Apple TV and Samsung HW-E450 surround soundbar. I have a DVD player but with the TV only having 2 HDMI connections and NO Optical Cable, I am wondering about leaving the DVD player out of the equation and using my computer (via Apple TV) as my DVD player. Anyway, what ever help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. My kids and I will be forever grateful!

Carlo
post #8 of 16 Old 12-26-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for providing the link to your TV's manual. I'd suggest you look at pages 9 & 17. Page 9 shows the location of your optical audio out port (labeled SPDIF). It is just below the analog audio out. Page 17 shows a diagram where you can use either optical or analog to connect to an external audio system. So you have a couple choices for connecting the cable box and Apple TV.

Connect one of them directly to the soundbar via HDMI, then connect the soundbar to your TV via HDMI. Connect the other source device to the remaining HDMI port on your TV. You can connect an optical cable from the TV to the soundbar, or you can connect optical cable directly from the source device to the soundbar. If you decide you want to connect your DVD player, you could get an HDMI switch so you could connect two source devices directly to the soundbar.

EDIT: Your TV also has component input so if any of your source devices have component output you could use that connection eliminating the need for a switch it you want three source devices connected.
C-low likes this.
post #9 of 16 Old 12-26-2012, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for the guidance. I feel like I am getting close to resolving the issue. From what I can tell, I should take the following steps:

1. Connect Apple TV to Soundbar "in" with HDMI
2. Connect Soundbar "out" to TV via HDMI
3. Connect Cable Box to TV via remaining HDMI port
4. Connect TV to soundbar via optical cable
5. Connect DVD player to TV using component cables (May not be necessary if I decide to use Computer to play DVDs via Apple TV)

Am I following your advice correctly?

Finally, I am wondering about your thoughts to an article on CNT about using my TV as a switcher. It is below:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57436645-221/get-more-from-your-sound-bar-by-using-your-tv-as-a-switcher/

Thanks for your patience and help!!
post #10 of 16 Old 12-26-2012, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

1 through 5 are correct...you've got it smile.gif

The CNET article is fine. What they didn't point out is that audio going to the soundbar from the TV is 2 ch. stereo. Soundbars apply DSP to the input signal and most will create very good sound from those 2 channels. However, if a soundbar has HDMI input(s) and can decode DD5.1 & DTS, you may get even better audio from blu-rays by connecting directly to the bar. Some people prefer that over the convenience of the TV being the switcher. Just a matter of personal preference.
C-low likes this.
post #11 of 16 Old 12-29-2012, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Okay. I have everything connected. The TV picture looks good and Apple TV is coming through the soundbar. The television sound, however, is only coming through the TV speakers. I have the soundbar set to HDMI but am not sure what am I doing wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Update. I forgot to connect the optical cable - DUH! Now everything is hooked up but when I turn the TV on, all I get is a "slide show" of some sort with animal pictures, no sound and no stations. Also, the subwoofer light in not blinking but rather is solid blue. Sorry to be such a pain. I really would appreciate whatever help you can provide.
post #12 of 16 Old 12-29-2012, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Update. I forgot to connect the optical cable - DUH! Now everything is hooked up but when I turn the TV on, all I get is a "slide show" of some sort with animal pictures, no sound and no stations. Also, the subwoofer light in not blinking but rather is solid blue. Sorry to be such a pain. I really would appreciate whatever help you can provide.
post #13 of 16 Old 12-29-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I have no idea what's going on there. Hopefully someone else will be able to solve this. BTW, it's not necessary to PM me with the same info that you post here. smile.gif
C-low likes this.
post #14 of 16 Old 12-30-2012, 08:52 AM

Liked: 11
Your animal sideshow is your Apple TV. It's working. It is the standard AppleTV screen saver. Use your apple remote.
post #15 of 16 Old 12-30-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Possumgirl and others, thanks so much for your patience, guidance, and suggestions. It is working!!!!
post #16 of 16 Old 12-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-low View Post

Possumgirl and others, thanks so much for your patience, guidance, and suggestions. It is working!!!!

Good to hear. Feel free to pay it forward when you're able.smile.gif
C-low likes this.

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page