JBL Cinema SB 400 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 111 Old 12-03-2013, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

maybe things have changed! The website no longer says Backorder! I have only 3/8" of width clearance so,I'm a bit nervous but, since there are no restocking fees for returns,i'm going to give it a go. Fingers crossed!

qhWv

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 111 Old 12-11-2013, 08:55 AM

Hi, I am really interested to get a Sound bar, trying to balance budget vs quality, I am really care about classical music sound, and my daughter likes movies, so what I have found so far are the two choices you have, the Sony htct260 (H) (amazon is selling for $200), and the JBL SB400, that I have found at a very good price.  The cons for the 260h about the HDMI ARC doent exist anymore, so any comment or sugestion you can give me about qulity sound and sound Power output I would really appreciate, so you can help me decide which on to buy. I also have seen the Sony htct660 which includes tweeters and a bigger Subwoofer (deep) but some reviews states that is more noise than quality

Thanks!

post #93 of 111 Old 12-12-2013, 06:33 AM

Hi

Bought the JBL 400 yesterday set up last night. Impressed with the overall sound.

Have a question regarding the Sub most places seem to be quoting the output at 200W

is this correct ? reason i ask in the Specs in the Manual says 100W

Reagrds

Ian H

post #94 of 111 Old 12-15-2013, 04:21 PM

Hello everyone,

I acquired a JBL Cinema SB400 two days ago. I'm fairly happy with it but struggling with some problems I don't really understand.

I have a Panasonic plasma TV I bought earlier this year along with a Sharp Blu-ray player and an HP laptop. I have the SB400 connected with hdmi to the Panasonic hdmi2 which supports ARC.

The first problem has to do with the Sharp Blu-ray player. It works well if I connect it directly to the TV - the picture is perfect and the sound is great.

I have tried connecting the Sharp Blu-ray to the hdmi1/2/3 ports on the SB400 but this seems to cause a problem: the picture is distorted as far as the colors being all wrong. I can more or less see the shape of the image on the screen but all the colors are the wrong color. I suspect if I were to turn the devices on in the right order, this problem would not occur but I have yet to be able to determine the right order.

The second and third problems have to do with connecting the laptop to the hdmi1/2/3 port of the SB400. If I do this and try to play HD source from iTunes, a message window comes up that says the screen doesn't support HDCP which is required by iTunes to play HD source media. If I connect the laptop directly to the TV, this does not happen.

On the other hand, if I play non-HD source out of iTunes, specifically "The Simpsons" "Treehouse of Horror" from about season 16, the picture looks mostly fine except certain areas in certain colors have pixels of the wrong color interspersed in them. If I connect the laptop directly to the TV, this does not happen.

So I'm forced to conclude something is wrong with the video passthrough in the SB400.

Fortunately, the TV has 4 hdmi ports so this is an acceptable situation, even though I lose the OSD since the video isn't coming through the SB400.

I cannot seem to make the Panasonic remote to control the volume up/down on the SB400. I followed the training instructions in the user manual exactly but volume up, volume down and mute all cause the SB400 to mute.

Bluetooth plays perfectly from my Samsung Galaxy SIII running Pandora.

post #95 of 111 Old 12-15-2013, 04:23 PM

What I've seen says 200W maximum but 100W RMS, if that helps at all.

post #96 of 111 Old 12-16-2013, 04:43 AM

And the saga continues this morning...

I fire up the TV planning to watch the morning local news, the SB400 automatically kicks on and I surf the approximately 10 antenna channels for a few minutes and it's working flawlessly.

Nothing good on, so I power up the Blu-ray, the TV switches source to it, the fanfare sound from the Seinfeld DVD starts, plays for about 1.5 seconds and... all sound goes off.

I power everything off, power the TV back on, switch back to antenna source and... no sound.

The SB400 powered back on as expected and the TV seems to realize it's there to handle the sound but it's completely mute. I switch to the ARC hdmi port on the TV and the OSD is showing. It doesn't think it's muted, the volume level bar moves as I increase and decrease the sound but no sound is being produced. Bass is on and movie mode is on, but the SB400 is completely quiet.

A similar problem happened yesterday morning...

I had gone to bed on Saturday night having watched a number of DVDs and blu-rays with the SB400 working perfectly. Sunday morning I had arisen, powered the TV up and... no sound. From anything. OK, I was able to stream Pandora from my Android phone to the SB400 but that was it, nothing related to the TV could stimulate the SB400 to produce any sound. I completely disconnected the Blu-ray and the SB400 and still no sound from the TV. I panicked and reset the TV to factory default and was ultimately able to get the TV speakers working then added the Blu-ray and it worked with the TV speakers.

I re-added the SB400 and again lost the sound. Note that the SB400 remained plugged into power during this whole time up till this point in the narrative.

I then took the SB400 completely apart and re-packed it, planning to return it to Nebraska Furniture Mart. I was still debating at this point whether to ask for a replacement SB400 or go with something else, as this one was actually a replacement for the first one I picked up on Thursday.

It's a 40-mile round trip to NFM and I really frankly had better things to do than burn the gas and put miles on the car.

So about 2 hours later, I unpacked the SB400 again and re-introduced it to the ecosystem, again plugging its TV out into the TV hdmi2 port that's labeled ARC. The Blu-ray was already plugged into hdmi3 and was known to work.

I powered up the TV, the SB400 came on and... produced sound. I switched to Blu-ray on hdmi3 and... sound.

Fast-forward to today, trying to maintain my cool about this cantankerous piece of... technology, it occurred to me to try one more action before packing it up to return/exchange... I flipped the power rocker switch on the back of the bar itself to off, left it off for about 5 seconds, flipped it back to on, powered up the TV and... sound. I changed to the Blu-ray source and... sound.

If this keeps up for the next few days, it's going back. Once in a while I can cope with, given the excellent sound it produces. If it happens as often as it seems to be happening so far, especially since I have 30 days from last Thursday to make a final decision, I have to believe there is really something wrong.

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else has had this much trouble with their SB400.

Even if you haven't, am I crazy to not kick it to the curb considering the other trials and tribulations I've experienced so far?

post #97 of 111 Old 12-17-2013, 04:55 AM

Hi,

I'm pretty much considering SB-400 for me as X-mas gift (from me to me ;) Actual price is 720 USD. I'm based on Europe so unfortunately no new Pioneer or Vizio as both are only for US market. Would you get this for 720 USD or would you get another soundbar (European 220V power supply).

Thanks,

Martin

post #98 of 111 Old 12-28-2013, 05:40 PM

Can someone tell me how to program my direct tv remote to control the volume on the JBL SB400?? When I try to program it there is no option for that sound bar. Help!
post #99 of 111 Old 02-13-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdavenport View Post

So I tried tonight to disable the TV speakers, but there is no option to do this on my TV. I have a Panasonic P50ST60 (2013 model), and there's a thread on here about how there's no option to disable the TV speakers manually; it automatically disables them when you're using ARC.

I tried playing a DVD tonight and noticed loud pops (albeit less frequent than when using the cable box, still unacceptable)...When using the cable box it still makes these weird beep/crack/pop/boom noises that sound like you're watching a cartoon.

I think I've tried about everything I can at this point, so any ideas anyone has would be appreciated.

I guess the next step is to call JBL/Harman and see if they have any ideas...This is really a huge bummer because the soundbar looks great and sounds great when operating properly (as it does when I'm not using ARC), and the bluetooth is awesome. All the other soundbars on the market either look ugly or cheap or lack bluetooth.

I had a similar problem when playing Blu-Ray or DVD's. I have a Sony Blu-Ray/DVD player and a Toshiba DVD recorder/player. These produced constant poping and cracking and booming sounds when watching a disc. I went into each devices settings and changed the sound output from these and now no poping/cracking/booming sounds. All devices are hooked into an HDMI switch which is then hooked to the SB400 SoundBar. The soundbar is hooked to the Toshiba TV with HDMI using ARC. All other devices ie. Bluetooth, Direct TV worked fine.

post #100 of 111 Old 03-03-2014, 03:06 AM

Can anyone who has upgraded to a universal remote spare the original (UK), a glass of coke and remotes don't mix an I really would appreciate getting a remote back, emailing JBL did not help, can paypal a few quid if I have to.

Cheers.

Ryan

EDIT: never mind ordered one from spares, £20 :(

post #101 of 111 Old 04-06-2014, 02:21 PM

Im having issues with my sounds bar turning on. When we turn the TV off it will automatically turn off. but when we turn the TV on it will not turn itself on. We have to either use the jbl remote or get up and turn it on. any ideas how we can fix this? thanks

post #102 of 111 Old 04-27-2014, 12:09 PM

Hello,

I just got mine and it does the same thing? POP, BOOM, BANG

What to do?

SV
post #103 of 111 Old 05-13-2014, 02:20 PM

Hi all, I would just like to share with you guys my experience with my JBL SB400 and its Popping noise issue. Just got my JBL SB400 2 days ago, hooked it up on my PS4 and PS3 and Xtreamer though HDMI in and to my TV (Sony Bravia) HDMI out. Had a blast with it, testing the sound with blurays and games. After an hour or so of testing, I got a popping noises all over. After that, a hissing noise, then it got louder, then nothing. I think it short-circuited a capacitor. My SB's center and left speaker sounded muffled after that. Replaced it a day after and everything worked fine.

Experimented with the new one, and remembered that when the popping noise came from my first unit, that's when I was changing my PS4 and PS3's audio output to DTS 5.1 and DD 5.1. I was trying to listen to SB's sound algorithm on reproducing DTS 5.1 and DD 5.1, and that is when all the popping noises happened. Before my first unit gave out, I also tried optical cables and still the popping noises are there.

To close, all my media sources are set to PCM now. No pops. A big bummer though, as I am a DTS fan. But as I dont want another issue with my replacement unit, to be safe, am using PCM. No pops up until now. Will wait for anyone to find a fix in using DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 without any pops whatsover. Hope this helps guys.
post #104 of 111 Old 05-13-2014, 02:24 PM

Also, when I tried to use DTS and/or DD on my replacement unit, believe it or not, there are popping and banging noises/artifacts! On my replacement unit! So there, I guess its a model defect or some kind. Really hope there is a fix for it though, so that we can all use SB400 for DD and DTS comfortably without it worrying if it will explode or not.
post #105 of 111 Old 05-13-2014, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hmm, my JBL400 is over a year old and have never heard a pop of it. Not feeding it PCM either.
post #106 of 111 Old 05-13-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric102 View Post

Hmm, my JBL400 is over a year old and have never heard a pop of it. Not feeding it PCM either.

Then I guess your JBL is without defect (lucky you). As I got 2 JBL SB's to test this theory abot the PCM source, and from a previous post on this thread, regarding an SB owner calling JBL support and them telling him/her to switch to PCM so that the popping might be eliminated, I concur and support that it really does exist on this product line. How I wish someone can really help us pinpoint the cause (either bad HDMI port, TV interference etc.) so that we can have a fix on our SB's.
post #107 of 111 Old 05-21-2014, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Went into BB to hear this thing. Unfortunately not on demo display. While I was there I listened to the HK SB26. Seeing that JBL is owned by Harman how do yall think these two compare? They're around the same price point. I noticed the HK had two more mid drivers than the JBL. Also the JBLs sub is slightly smaller than the HK. I was told that the sub performance on any demo model in the store will be sub par because of the multitude of wireless signals from the various soundbars floating around. Is this true? What say you!

post #108 of 111 Old 07-06-2014, 05:30 AM

Liked: 12
Jbl sb400

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooTall87 View Post
Went into BB to hear this thing. Unfortunately not on demo display. While I was there I listened to the HK SB26. Seeing that JBL is owned by Harman how do yall think these two compare? They're around the same price point. I noticed the HK had two more mid drivers than the JBL. Also the JBLs sub is slightly smaller than the HK. I was told that the sub performance on any demo model in the store will be sub par because of the multitude of wireless signals from the various soundbars floating around. Is this true? What say you!
Bought it...love it. Bluetooth is good for short range. Starts to hiccup when I get past 10ft. away. That is the only issue I have. Afraid to swap for another in fear of the popping. Connected by HDMI, even my cable box is passing thru without a hitch. Sound is crisp and clean, dialog is clear even during action scenes. The sub...what can I say, it is smooth,I haven't fiddled yet for the perfect setting. I can only say it is a perfect match. Can rattle the walls if you want or just blend with the bar. Heard it side by side in store with the HK and honestly it is preference. I like the JBL better...not saying it is...just my ear.

Nick
post #109 of 111 Old 07-07-2014, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hooked mine up yesterday. Lasted 2 hours before started popping. Wasted time packing it back up......
post #110 of 111 Old Yesterday, 03:42 AM

Liked: 12
SB400 popping

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrevo2u View Post
Hooked mine up yesterday. Lasted 2 hours before started popping. Wasted time packing it back up......

Where did you purchase? 2 weeks and still pop free...wondering if there is a bad lot?

Nick
post #111 of 111 Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Fry's Electronics in Concord, CA. JBL knows about the problem, they don't seem too eager to fix it. Last JBL consumer product that I will ever buy.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Jbl Cinema Sb 400 Plug N Play 2 X 60 Watt Soundbar System , Harman Kardon Sb 30 5 1 Soundbar And Wireless Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page